Hope?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At this moment, no hope whatsoever, especially with Jose in charge. The end of the season can't come soon enough for me. Even the final is of scant consolation, as we can't be there.
Once we get back into the stadium with a new coach, maybe I can start hoping again, but feel it's going to take a couple of seasons to steady the ship - our problems aren't going to be fixed overnight :(
How sad as Spurs fans thinking if only we had smart owners like David Sullivan , who could hire a much better manager on probably a tenth of the cost
That may not be the case, but it sure feels that way with the dinosaur plumbing new depths of negativity every game

We know Levy will eventually change the manager, it’s a matter of when. I just hope it’s sooner than later now.

Where I don’t have much hope is in ownership and how the club is run as a footballing entity. Steady investment in players over time, rather than a scramble to plug holes in a boom or bust way. A scouting system that works. We’re just at yet another transition point in the Levy/ENIC roundabout.

We're shit, but things are never as good or bad as they seem IMO. Today was relatively even and could have gone another way on another day.

For me we have three clear gaps in our starting XI that need to be filled and they are both CB's and the Right back. People complain about Lloris but I think he is far far better than the likes of Pope. We have deadwood to move on so if we can get the right moves in the window (we saw us do that last year with Hojbjerg/Reguilion, but then fail with Doherty) then who knows.

Although I agree with your sentiment, I don't see how anyone can genuinely say that the game was relatively even. It was a poor first half and both teams huffed and puffed. But for the entire second half they made us look like a Championship team. If they played how they did in the second half, in the first, it could have been a cricket score.

Is there any? Any at all? Anywhere?

- We have a Chairman who hasn't led the club to any success in regards to trophies.

- We have a manager that has clearly lost his way in the modern game, and is afraid of his own shadow. But he didn't appoint himself and he was never the right fit for us at any point. The blame lies with the above.

- Our squad is full of so many average players. We don't really have any genuinely exciting prospects either. The likes of Skipp, Tanganga and Parrott hardly fill me with real hope and optimism. Without Kane we're basically Crystal Palace.

- Our best player is clearly dis-heartened and seemingly will want out once we finish about 8th, as much as he loves the club. With Kane gone, if it comes to that, no doubt the likes of Son will seriously question their future at the club.

- We'll barely have a pot to piss in unless we get serious money for our best player. Yet at bare minimum we need a centre-back, right-back, a central midfielder and a replacement for Lloris at bare minimum. In a perfect world we would be looking to make 7 or 8 signings. Not a chance, and certainly not signings of real quality.
There's hope because where there's life there always is. I was told by people I trust that Naggelsmann is very real and interested. However he wants assurance that are difficult because of Covid.

This will end because its already over for Jose and that's the biggest fucking thing we have going , that he along with half the current team are finished.

We had a modern day manager and the vast majority of this squad shit on him and downed tools in the last 12 months of his time at Spurs.
This squad is a very poor group of players with the exception of a few.
Nah. The problem was lack of new players (poch or levys fault...who knows?) Where some needed or wanted to go and upgrades should have been made so....

Were we ever going to get dybala, fernandes or grealish. All been hunted by top clubs in europe that can double anything we could offer.
I can see why we went for lo celso over fernandes. Was playing very well in a much bigger league than fernandes.
Not saying we get our transfer decisions right but a lot of people think we should get every top player sone tabloid links us with
We had the chance to sign Grealish but wouldn't pay the money... Note he's still at villa so no other club has bought him. He would've come if we paid the money and at the time we were considered big dogs in the market.

Dybala was a surprise deal but again one we could've done. It was too complex a deal for Levy clearly as again he wouldn't pay the money.

Fernandes was ready to come to us before he went united. It may even have been the window before he went united.

Both lo celso and Fernandes are good players, our scouting network thought lo celso was clearly the better pick though and couple years on it clearly wasn't.

Is there any? Any at all? Anywhere?

- We have a Chairman who hasn't led the club to any success in regards to trophies.

- We have a manager that has clearly lost his way in the modern game, and is afraid of his own shadow. But he didn't appoint himself and he was never the right fit for us at any point. The blame lies with the above.

- Our squad is full of so many average players. We don't really have any genuinely exciting prospects either. The likes of Skipp, Tanganga and Parrott hardly fill me with real hope and optimism. Without Kane we're basically Crystal Palace.

- Our best player is clearly dis-heartened and seemingly will want out once we finish about 8th, as much as he loves the club. With Kane gone, if it comes to that, no doubt the likes of Son will seriously question their future at the club.

- We'll barely have a pot to piss in unless we get serious money for our best player. Yet at bare minimum we need a centre-back, right-back, a central midfielder and a replacement for Lloris at bare minimum. In a perfect world we would be looking to make 7 or 8 signings. Not a chance, and certainly not signings of real quality.
Great post up until the last paragraph.

Not sure where this idea of sudden poverty has come. We was the 8th wealthiest club on the planet when I last looked. And surely the fabled best run club in football must be in a far healthier position emerging from the pandemic than all the other reckless spenders?

Yeah there’s hope. We’ve still got loads of decent players

a change of manager could kick start it, also think ENIC will have to find 200m or so to spend or their investment will really start to tank

Yeah, decent players. A couple of great ones. I just can't not see us as anything else than a massive project for someone, but what's a project without the necessary resources? I think someone else could get more from the squad we have, someone a bit more brave than Mourinho. But polish a turd and it will still be a turd at the end of the day.

Great post up until the last paragraph.

Not sure where this idea of sudden poverty has come. We was the 8th wealthiest club on the planet when I last looked. And surely the fabled best run club in football must be in a far healthier position emerging from the pandemic than all the other reckless spenders?

I don't see us throwing money around, left, right and centre though. And even if we did have the money, which top players will genuinely want to come to a club not playing Champions League football and a team that will very much be a work in progress under someone?

The hope is that there is still a lot of talent on the club, we are still one of the biggest clubs in the league and with an effective manager, which we can get, things will get much better.

Yes changes need to be made but it isn't like we have maxed out our resources and have reached the peak of our clubs ceiling. There are hard moves to be made but they are clear and it is certainly possible to make the needed changes.

The blueprint is there, we have had success under different managers and players. The changes can be made and success reached again.
We have not had success for 30 years with the exception of 2 league cups

If by hope you mean do I think we can win a Premier League or CL in the near future then no. I believed we could in Poch's heyday.

If Kane goes we are fucked for even longer as there's no way we invest the money well.

But I think there's still hope we can get back into the top 4 with some smart investment in personnel.

Chelsea, City and United look well set to control the top 3 spots but we can make a run at 4th next season if we sort out the defence which, considering they're nearly all shit, is no easy task.

Liverpool look to be coming to the end of their cycle.

I do think there'll be another couple of seasons of transition though.

Only hope I can give is if the worst situation possible happens and he remains in the Summer. For some reason a lot of players would be attracted to playing under him.

But honestly No there isn't much hope its a shit situation.
If he ends up getting sacked good but Levy doesn't want to pull the trigger so we'll have to be in real shit for him to get sacked. It won't be easy for the new manager to pick up the club.

Its not a massive project though.

We need a new manager and at least 5 or 6 good players. I'd say that's well on it's way to being a project, or at least any new manager might see it like that. We have two world-class players at the end of the day.

No there is multiple definitions of success. Or are you claiming basically every club in the world never experiences success?

It is ridiculous to say that last year was not a success for Sheffield United. they didn't come close to winning titles, or even making finals.

My opinions also have no effect on the club. It isn't like Levy was about to go out and buy Haaland, Sancho, Dias, Ramos and Mbappe but then changed his mind because I said I enjoyed supporting the club when Poch was in charge.

Top 4 is a success because it is what is needed to build the finances and attract the players needed for greater accomplishments. No where did I say we could only get top 4 and no more. But it is stupid to be so short sighted to think that the only way to be happy is if you win titles. That there can't be more to supporting a club than titles and Cups only.
Prior to this season we had 4 years of Champions league money and we have declined massively.
We have spent massive amounts of money on shit players like I have been telling you all along

Good title to thread.

Of course. This is a virtual matter because as long as we all have life and health then this problematic aspect that relates to football can be contextualized.

We will get through this and personnel, some key ones even will change.

But the club is bigger than the moment.

Always hope until it's extinguished through that last puff.

This team isn't as bad as they seem at the moment, but it is very tired. We will get through this soon enough. Just a new manager with a fresh attitude and perspective will improve things, but we do need some new blood and changing of the guard.

Honestly, I just emotionally detached myself from this season and wrote it off a few weeks ago. It makes it so much easier to deal with what is going on.

Back
Top Bottom