How to know/become a true Spurs Fan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going to games doesnt mean you are a good fan these days...most people here complain about being "surrounded by cunts" every time they go to WHL...
Best to judge for yourself rather than listening to second hand comments. That's what I do anyhow.

The Lane can be very disappointing these days, but you can still get a decent crowd experience if you know where to sit. I also think that sometimes it depends on the occasion. For instance at Ledley's testimonial the whole ground was arguably filled with people I would consider good fans. Every stand was up for it. I don't think the day trippers of half-bakes would bother to turn up for it. When you came over for it didn't you feel that way?

Where do you sit when you come over for league matches?

As Spurs fan from Germany my justification for being a such is just my emotional involvement in every game we're playing. As a student I'm not in the financial position to fly to London and watch out games at WHL. Still, I try to watch every single game in TV and I hope that we play against German opposition rather sooner than later in EL or CL. I'll buy a ticket regardless the price.
Generally I think that there are two characteristics of being a fan:
1. Not only hoping that your own team wins every game but feel with your team. Be ecstatic after a win and feel devastated after a defeat.
2. Be unable to support another team in the same league or international reputation. If you could switch from Spurs to ManU easily and thus be a "fan" of them after some time then you're not a true fan of any team.

Being a true fan is determined by emotion and nothing else. Anything else is just an addition, an extra.

Best to judge for yourself rather than listening to second hand comments. That's what I do anyhow.

The Lane can be very disappointing these days, but you can still get a decent crowd experience if you know where to sit. I also think that sometimes it depends on the occasion. For instance at Ledley's testimonial the whole ground was arguably filled with people I would consider good fans. Every stand was up for it. I don't think the day trippers of half-bakes would bother to turn up for it. When you came over for it didn't you feel that way?

Where do you sit when you come over for league matches?

I dont feel like a daytripper in any way because I attended hundreds and hundreds of games in the late 80s as a kid, all through the 90s until the early 2000s when I moved abroad.

Done my time so to speak, and make no apologies for not flying home every week to attend now.

Like I said, its not what constitutes a good fan or a true fan imo.

I sit/stand in PL lower always.

If you have to double check HOW to be a true fan (of any club), then surely you're not one!!

You either IS or you AIN'T... passion and love can't be taught... support should be something you do instinctively!
Being told which songs to sing... to 'Boo' or not to 'Boo'... even the correct way to tie your scarf, (and that half-and-half scarves should be avoided at all costs) would surely set alarm bells ringing!!

However, asking your fellow fans the best mode of travel to WHL on a matchday, the best places to eat once there, or the best streams available (for those unable to attend) CAN of course be found on advice-giving-sites such as this one, and should be actively encouraged!

Going to games doesnt mean you are a good fan these days...most people here complain about being "surrounded by cunts" every time they go to WHL...

Give or take a few games (Woolwich, Chelsea, West Ham, 1882 nights) I'm only doing Away's next season.

It's got to the point that even if we win, I walk out of there fucked off as I've just listened to people slating the Club while winning 2 - 0.

No atmosphere, dickheads taking selfies of them & the mrs, whinging pricks, cunt stewards.

Fuck that.

*You love Brad Friedel like he is your uncle.
*You've ever referred to anyone's failure as "spursy."
*You've yelled at your missus for buying you an article of clothing that even has a speck of red on it.
*You're not gay but you still want to bone AVB
*You've ever told another football fan that your favourite player ever is Ledley King and they've replied, "Who?"

For me, it's always sparing a thought for Spurs. No matter where you are or what you are doing. Sympathy for the fans who watched the disasters you missed. Sharing the glory of success, whether you are with 40,000 other spurs fans or sat with your missus in front of the TV. It's being a part of the greatest rollercoaster ride of them all. One you can't get off, no matter how bumpy or sickening it gets. Like being a small part of the most hugely dysfunctional family on the planet & never faltering in that affection you have for the whole lot. Cos it's yours, mine, ours. COYS.

I have a love and hate relationship with Spurs. The club is a shadow of the powerhouse
of the 60's till the demise in the Sugar/Levy years. I find it a very unrewarding experience but it
is in my blood, I have no other emotional option . I wish I could walk away but like
a drug it pulls me back. Pain over joy has come to be expected .
I am sure I would not be called a true Spurs fan by the neo Sky fan base. I never go
and being honest my family time is far more important . I live in rural a idyll far from
the madding crowd of inner urban life which seems another world away .
Yes like others I have done my time, taken as a child, never eating at school for 3 years and
saving my dinner money to watch games . A 3 hour bus ride to watch games.
Time moves on and other things come to dominate your life.
For me even with the bleak year of relegation there was still hope. We came back as the
strutting troubadours with our Latin demi gods . Under our present New Order ( even
with the never ending mystical stadium agenda) I feel there is no
*Pandora's Box"

Don't let anyone ever try and define you.

No one has the right to tell you "You aren't Spurs"

Unless you have an Woolwich mosaic in your patio. Then you deserve a pummeling.

Back
Top Bottom