Huddersfield (A) 29th September - 3pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I the only one here who is frustrated with the limited footballing abilities of Dier. Imo he is our weakest link by a distance.
People keep forgetting he's not a CM. He came as a CB who helped out at CDM a few games - he's not a ball-playing mid and never will be. So perhaps it's the current formation that exposes his weakness more than anything

People keep forgetting he's not a CM. He came as a CB who helped out at CDM a few games - he's not a ball-playing mid and never will be. So perhaps it's the current formation that exposes his weakness more than anything
Dier seems more keen to play as a CM than as a defender, and to be fair to him he broke into the national team as one. But his strengths obviously lie more as a defender and Pochettino has pointed this out as well.

A good compromise I guess is having him in the DM role and having him fall back into the backline but he has been doing that less this season.

Alli just captained us to a win in the League Cup, can't see him being dropped.

- Gazza -
- Trippier - Alderweireld - Jan - Rose -
- Dier - Dembele -
- Moura - Alli - Son -
- Kane -​

Otherwise agreed, but given that Eriksen is out, Lamela has scored in 3 out of 4 last games and offers more build-up capability + Son was not really too brilliant vs Watford, I'd start with Lamela and bring Sonny on in 65th minute mark or so. Then Son would be fresher for Barca and could start with hopefully Eriksen next to him and Alli+Moura battling for 3rd starting AM place.

I COULD see case for KWP to start as well, but ofc Tripps did not play during the week and I'd assume he'd be fine playing 2 in a row.

But more important than specific personel will be the mindset of our players. We could not take this as "an easy game before Barca". Sure, oppo has not started the season well, but that does not mean they will give up from the start!! We need to battle and fight to get a win.

COYS!

Dier seems more keen to play as a CM than as a defender, and to be fair to him he broke into the national team as one. But his strengths obviously lie more as a defender and Pochettino has pointed this out as well.

A good compromise I guess is having him in the DM role and having him fall back into the backline but he has been doing that less this season.
Agreed. I think he's got all the attributes to be a Maguire level CB to be honest, he has everything, just needs more game time at CB. I think he's arguably our Toby replacement. I can see a Sanchez, Jan, Dier back 3 working if worked on and developed. If Toby goes, I'd move him there and sign another classy midfielder.

Am I the only one here who is frustrated with the limited footballing abilities of Dier. Imo he is our weakest link by a distance.

He has a pass and a decent cross on him when he has time. His time playing RB very early on showed that. He certainly has seemed to become the scapegoat in the team, i'm not saying he isn't a limited player, but its probably a hangover from the shit he got playing for England for essentially not being David Silva.

People moaning about him and Henderson not being creative enough, completely missing the point that its not really Diers role in the team and besides who else was there to have taken in their place? Wilshit??? Fucking lol!

Eriksen out.

MASSIVE chance for Lamela to really stake a claim here. So glad Dele is back now though. Take Eriksen out of my team and replace him with Lucas then.

Gazzaniga
KWP - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier - Dembele
Lamela - Dele - Lucas
Kane​

Imv Coco has already staked his claim and I’d prefer Sissoko to Dier at the moment

Bracing myself for incoming flak

I like Dier but he’s not on it at the moment and neither is Vic

[formation=4231, Gazza, Trippier, Toby, Jan, Rose, Dier/Wanyama, Dembele, Lamela, Son, Moura, Kane][/formation]
That'll HAVE do under the circumstances!
:llorisunsure::eriksenserious:EDIT: :deledoubt:

Last edited:
Imv Coco has already staked his claim and I’d prefer Sissoko to Dier at the moment

Bracing myself for incoming flak

I like Dier but he’s not on it at the moment and neither is Vic
However off it Eric Dier might be he's still a million times more on it that Sissoko will ever be.

The only thing yon Moussa looks like he's on is the blob

Agreed. I think he's got all the attributes to be a Maguire level CB to be honest, he has everything, just needs more game time at CB. I think he's arguably our Toby replacement. I can see a Sanchez, Jan, Dier back 3 working if worked on and developed. If Toby goes, I'd move him there and sign another classy midfielder.

Make it two, mate. Just make it two :) .
(depth in midfield is a real issue even with Dier playing there) ...

I have a really good feeling about this game, which is very rare for me.
tenor.gif

However off it Eric Dier might be he's still a million times more on it that Sissoko will ever be.

The only thing yon Moussa looks like he's on is the blob

He should have had a penalty the other night

Not a fan then

:dawsonmean::klinsmann:

Back
Top Bottom