i hate Barcelona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I choose the title to shock people a bit and i will probably offend many of you for which i am somewhat sorry , i must also admit that ever since i was a small boy i have been more inclined to support Real Madrid (even thought right now they are a bloody shame to their own history and values) than Barcelona. And having my all time idol Zidane (alongside Ronaldo and Raul) in the white shirt only enforced that inclination, so my views are biased (as most opinions on football are)

What i like about Barca is the way they changed their entire vision on developing players and try to put out as many young players from their own development center as possible. They play the best football ever (maybe next to the EPO driven Juventus with Zidane and Man U at their peak).

But what i loathe is the hypocrisy in condeming the huge transfer fees Real pay and than just doing the same thing but just a bit less over the top (Real are just ridiculous with their transfer fees). They keep talking about the debts Real has but forget to mention their own financial situation, they used to be proud (and with every right) to have no shirt sponsor , then Unicef came (which was impressive) only to prepare the road for letting in a Non profit association from Qatar that pays big bucks.
The blatant diving (except for Messi tbh) and arrogance on the pitch. Busquets , Iniesta and Xavi are very talented but need to stay on their feet.

Yesterday i saw someone on Twitter (not the most credible source of info ,Twitter) mention that Barcelona chairman declared that he is interested in Bale and Van Persie but not willing to pay 30 million. The infuriates me about the top 10 European clubs , they know players want to come to them so they incite players to go against the will of their current employer. They are in fact tapping up players all the time , they did it with Fabregas and credit to Wenger (wash my mouth) that he only gave in when the money was right. I know every club does it with players from smaller clubs (including us) but the biggest ones are the worst. Imagine City coming in for Iniesta via the press and offering 20 million while publicly declaring that's his price, Barcelona would be furious.
We should follow the lead of Udinese and that prick from down the road and just say feck off with your below par offers, you payed for Sanchez and Fabregas and Eto'o and Ibra and so on , so lets see that chequebook with 50 million on it. They are dealing with Levy now , they wont know what hit em.

I liked Barcelona when they signed Lineker and had Venables at the helm, always admired them. My "like" is massively on the wane for most of the reasons you listed above, they play great football but that doesn't make them paragons of virtue. It's just a shame it wasn't them raping Woolwich (again) this season.

I can only say that the days of the big paydays are over, I think. The Qatari shirt deal was just for them to stay liquid, iirc, and they're about to hit a really rocky patch. Pep maybe should leave while the going is good :)

Like I told you, I started supporting Barça because as a young lad in the 90s, I was absolutely gaga over the city (the 92 Olympics put me over the moon), and Rivaldo played there. Later the interest was enhanced by their political history. I've since grown increasingly skeptical of (Catalan) nationalism, and if you make the political case about Barça, it ends up being more of a reactionary anti-franquista position than an affirming one (from what I gather). Not to diminish the repression the Catalans faced merely by being Catalans, but yeah.

However, just like when your band becomes super popular and you feel disconnected, the same happened with me and Barça (and might happen with Spurs if we shift into becoming a giant glory hunter magnet), and I stopped being as into them. But I'll never be pro-RM... partly because of Zidane…

They poached fabregash back easily becuase he had 'barca dna' and it was about him 'returning home' with half the national team coaxing him into a return (in turn fabregash declined a 'loyalty bonus').

They only got £30m (35mil euros) because they knew that he would cause a fuss and that barca was the only club he would go to, that and the gooners are now a 'selling club'. In an open market with different teeams vying for his signature there would have been a bidding war, so he basically fucked the gooners over to his 'dream move'.

:goonermong: < they don't like this.

If they try that shit with Bale of the Rapist then the clubs will get an open market value, if they try it with Levy they'll lose a finger or two when shaking hands on any deal.

Plus I'm not sure Gareth knows where spain is, it would seem that anything outside the M4 corridor andthe north circular is still 'foreign'. :baletroll:

Barca bore me to tears for 70% of the game - 20% I am disgusted with their diving and moaning - 10% amazed with their brilliance.

I can appreciate that keeping the ball and moving it side to side and waiting for an opening is really hard. I can appreciate that it is the most successful type of football, I can appreciate it is new an innovative - I just find it very dull

I tend not to get caught up or give a flying feck about the politics in most everything. I like watching both Barca and Madrid as they both play top football. The games between them do tend to turn into soap operas though. The likes of Busquets and Pepe are just total cunts but then the EPL has it's fair share too.

r-u-s-x said:
Barca bore me to tears for 70% of the game - 20% I am disgusted with their diving and moaning - 10% amazed with their brilliance.

I can appreciate that keeping the ball and moving it side to side and waiting for an opening is really hard. I can appreciate that it is the most successful type of football, I can appreciate it is new an innovative - I just find it very dull

But they do offer an amazing range of passing and can resist and apply a lot of pressure , i like their style but thats about it

Belgian Spur said:
r-u-s-x said:

But they do offer an amazing range of passing and can resist and apply a lot of pressure , i like their style but thats about it

as i said i can appreciate that, they have a team of modrics movement and finding space is unreal, but the lack of impetus on getting forwards means in essence its dull (for me).

It's pretty hard to "love" any big club unless you're a supporter anyway isn't it? I used to love Barca but, yeah, that's waned slightly. They're pretty sanctimonious and hypocritical indeed, but I still have a lot of time for them. I love how they play, and still am awed by their play at times. I love Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol, they're all iconic, inspirational figures in the game today. The style of play, the premium on technique and skill over physical strength, along with the fact so many of their players are truly home grown by the club means if any club is going to be winning relentlessly embarrassing the great clubs of Europe and the World, I'm glad it's Barca. If it teaches coaches of young players that no player should be considered "too small" if they've got the talent, then that's a good thing for the game as a whole.

I admit there's plenty to dislike about them these days too, but still, when I compare them to any other really big European club, they still seem to do things better. I used to have time for Madrid but I've grown to hate them because of Perez and his galacticos bullshit, that's a Disneyfied vision of the game to me, I want his project to fail. Man Utd? Juve? Milan? Inter? I'd still hold up Barca ahead of these clubs. Bayern are a proper big club run properly, but I've never liked them much tbh, not sure why.

But Spurs are the only club I can really love.

r-u-s-x said:
Belgian Spur said:
r-u-s-x said:

as i said i can appreciate that, they have a team of modrics movement and finding space is unreal, but the lack of impetus on getting forwards means in essence its dull (for me).

never should of got rid of Eto'o, he gave them a certain directness that made their play a bit more dynamic, possibly less controlled though

The main thing I dislike about Barca is the point you made about them acting like they this ethereal family of pure bloods while Madrid are the ones that spend all the money. Barca have ridiculous debts that the bank can't call in, since the club is 'more than a club'. Obviously they play amazing football at times yeah, but I don't particularly like them.

I very much like barcelona. Have 3 or 4 kits (just the shirt in my wardrobe) including this one:

Tottenham%20Barcelona%20Supporters%20Club%20Visual.jpg

It was brought out just after they beat Woolwich in the CL final. Thats the shirt i wear when i go to barca. Ive lost count at the amount of times they've knocked Woolwich out since then.

Paydro said:
I tend not to get caught up or give a flying feck about the politics in most everything. I like watching both Barca and Madrid as they both play top football. The games between them do tend to turn into soap operas though. The likes of Busquets and Pepe are just total cunts but then the EPL has it's fair share too.

This times a billion.. Makes it nearly impossible to watch.

I went to the Nou Camp to watch Barca a couple of years ago and there was another group of yids there. Brilliant arena to watch a brilliant football team play regardless of the play-acting and bitching they get up to.

It's great football, just enjoy it for that.

I think another point with Barca is that everyone wants to see competition in sport, it's no fun when the result is almost a foregone conclusion before the game kicks off. So inevitably with dominance comes the backlash, they're like Tiger Woods or Schumacher, stop being so fucking good you selfish pricks!

Back
Top Bottom