If you could change ONE result

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

jimmyriggle

Blatant
Ok, so this question popped into my head this morning, and bizarrely enough it's sort of been discussed on the pod this week by the looks of things. However, instead of changing one 'thing' (ledley's knee, managers being sacked/hired etc.) my question is more focussed on results.

So - What one result in the club's entire history would you change if you could?
Would it be the 5-2 against Woolwich that started out capitulation?
Perhaps you'd go back to lasagnagate and have us triumph at Upton Park on the last day of the season
Have there been other games that have gone on to shape our hitory in some way?

Or conversely are there some people that would have had us lose at the Etihad and miss out on CL qualification that year, as it attracted a lot more negative fans in the long run.

Suggestions below and, for the most popular ones, I'll write an article re-imagining the games and the aftermath of them as if the results had been different.

Recently - I'd go for City away when we lost 3-2, think that was the turning point last season. If Defoe had put that cross in, we'd have Champions League again.

Actually, I'd change the 5-1 against Woolwich, I'd have it so we won 300 - 0 with the ginger Pele scoring all 300 :adelol:

Would have to be the 5-2 last year. Although the city game was the start of our downfall, I think beating the goons would have given us another boost. And we would have got CL.

Woolwich game, we win, Champions League, they get Europa League.

Probably would have broken the space-time continuum though.

Historically it would be the Benfica semi final in 61. We would have gone on to become the first English winners of the European Cup, as long as we didn't get another dodgy ref in the final.

Also in a negative sense there would the the NLD at WHL at the end of the 71 season to stop woolwich winning the league (and the double)

Under the assumption Ledders would've been as loyal as he was, I would've made sure he didn't get that injury. It would have had a knock-on effect for all our subsequent matches for over a decade.

For me, the result that really hurt the most was lasagne gate. (chelsea winning the CL hurt too but that wasn't strictly a spurs game) It would have been so sweet to have reached the CL with Martin Jol at the helm.

I'd also count the FA cup game where we blew a 3 goal lead at Chelsea and any of the games against the gooners in their unbeaten season,just so they couldn't bang on about all the 'invincibles' bollox for ever and ever.

Good question - there are so many.

Kaiserslautern v Spurs 4th November 1999. UEFA CUP 2ND RD
TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0 (0) KAISERSLAUTERN 2 (0)

2 late goals knocked us out, one of them an O.G from Carr - I cried a lot that night. I was so so upset.

The lasagne gate would be up there though, I was living with 2 Woolwich fans at the time at Uni, gutting.

Maybe also the 2-2 draw that saw them win the league at ours, I remember being quite pleased with the scoreline but the fact they won it at ours...:defoe:

Of course the 5-2 as well, considering I was sitting amongst the filth fans.

I feel sad now.

There are so many but West Ham away it has to be; the scum's demise would be well and truly complete by now and we would have been responsible.

The Chelsea semi-final, too.

Historically, the Benfica game was a huge injustice, that team would have easily won the European Cup. Easily.

Lasagne would have been a nice reverse, but I'm not sure we'd have done that well back then in the CL.

Going for 2-3 against City last year. Fuck CL qualification, if we'd won that game, we'd have won the league.

Although not a Spurs match it'd be the CL final. We always play our part in a loss, that's football. But to work hard, finish in forth and have another CL run taken away from by some 6th placed cunts, just because of a stupid rule....a rule that just had to bite us first.

I'd change the Carling Cup final 2009, winning the league cup back to back would have been nice!
I haven't really been supporting Tottenham long enough to be extremely pissed at one single result. But ones that stick out are also, 5-2 Arse, West Ham away, Chelsea and Portsmouth at Wembley!

the last 2 fa cup semis have been painful - we should have had a pot in at least 1 of those runs

the 2-5 reverse last year will haunt for years though. victory would have virtually secured 3rd & simultaneously broken them. i don't think they'd have gone on that run, i don't think we'd have melted the way we did. it was a shite day out & one that was always going to have long term aftershocks

but, a win could have also led to there being 2 different manager fronting up tomorrow - Pep vs Arry. Personally I want Wenger to keep getting it just a bit wrong & keeping his job. the real threat from that lot is a new broom in the boardroom (Usmanov) & on the touchline (Guardiola or similar)

we won't have this opportunity to surpass & condemn them to the wilderness for long

the last 2 fa cup semis have been painful - we should have had a pot in at least 1 of those runs

the 2-5 reverse last year will haunt for years though. victory would have virtually secured 3rd & simultaneously broken them. i don't think they'd have gone on that run, i don't think we'd have melted the way we did. it was a shite day out & one that was always going to have long term aftershocks

but, a win could have also led to there being 2 different manager fronting up tomorrow - Pep vs Arry. Personally I want Wenger to keep getting it just a bit wrong & keeping his job. the real threat from that lot is a new broom in the boardroom (Usmanov) & on the touchline (Guardiola or similar)

we won't have this opportunity to surpass & condemn them to the wilderness for long
Interesting possible scenario. May form the basis of my 'what if' for this one

Back
Top Bottom