If you could change ONE result

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lasange-gate changing everything is rubbish. We were a weaker side back then than we are now, or were when we finally did get into the CL. By any stretch of whose imagination would it have meant us becoming a CL regular? I'm sorry, but that's total bollocks.

Remember who qualified for the CL a year before lasagne-gate? I don't see Everton as CL regulars now. There is nothing to say that we wouldn't have gone out at the qualifying round had we finished in fourth that year. Oh that's right, we would have had all that CL money to dump into new signings, just as we did in 2011. ;)

I just mean the way it felt to miss out by such a fine margin, in THAT manner... the result may not have changed 'everything' (I take that back) but the way it felt at the time, it was as if our entire footballing World had just met a very ugly, MESSY end, and there was fuck all we could do about it...

No doubt we'd have gone tumbling out of the CL a year later, and spunked all our CL money on players who were only HERE for CL football, and same old same old.... maybe we DID need a few more years' experience in the EL before taking on Europe's Elite... but fuck me it woulda been fun seeing Jol take us into the CL! (and straight back out again!!!)

RUBBISH. BOLLOX. YOU ARE WRONG. YOUR OPINION IS WRONG.

IT WOULDNT HAVE MATTERED BECAUSE OF EVERTON.

GET IT?

sammyspurs said:
A suggestion. Stop reading my posts. Stop quoting my posts. Ignore me. I have nothing to say about you, or to you from this point forward.

Smoked Salmon said:
We'll see how long you can go with your lips zipped.... ;) My betting is that you can't resist having a fight with someone before the year is out.

Only took a few weeks to get you to crack. So easy.:roflmao: Saw it coming though, what with you dishing out personal insults to others and arguing with them just a few days back.

My work here is done. :akabusi:

I just mean the way it felt to miss out by such a fine margin, in THAT manner... the result may not have changed 'everything' (I take that back) but the way it felt at the time, it was as if our entire footballing World had just met a very ugly, MESSY end, and there was fuck all we could do about it...

No doubt we'd have gone tumbling out of the CL a year later, and spunked all our CL money on players who were only HERE for CL football, and same old same old.... maybe we DID need a few more years' experience in the EL before taking on Europe's Elite... but fuck me it woulda been fun seeing Jol take us into the CL! (and straight back out again!!!)
Oh, entirely agree. I was absolutely gutted that day. I just didn't agree that it wouldn'tmade us CL regulars.

Where do we begin as we have so many to choose from.....:mad:

I'll go with the most recent one, The worst Aston Villa I have seen in 25 years 1-1 THFC. We knew before that game that a win would take us 3rd, with a home game against Fulham to go, and clear favs for the automatic CL spot.We put in a insipid performance in the first half and went a goal down, only woke up after Rose got sent off early in the 2nd half to draw level. We had 28 mins + injury time to score a winner but failed to do so and worse still our manager decided to take off VDV and bring Parker on :mad:

IF we had won that game we would be a CL team right now, Woolwich would have ended up in the EL and maybe just maybe Levy would have loosened the purse strings and actually bought the players the manager asked for!!!

edit - ChiTownSpurs just beat me to it....
everyone seems to forget that we played with 10 men for most of that game

87 league cup semi I never left the house for two days after it set us back years and was the making of the scum..
Even now it still hurts., the 5-2 yesterday was nothing compared to the 87 result.

Has to be a cup final surely? Something like the loss to Coventry in The FA Cup Final?

In more recent times, it would have to be the lasange-gate game away at Upton Park. Win there and we would have got into the Champions League qualifiers, while Le Filth would have a UEFA Cup place in their first season at their new stadium. It could have set us up for consecutive years of Champions League qualification rather than a solitary one.

Looks like it's the same few games for everyone. Will make these the focus of an article. Meanwhile, I'll make a poll. And I ain't talking about Graham.

(how do i add a poll Admin Admin ) :walker:

The 4-0 versus Madrid.

Had the only flight delay from all club planes there and back by an hour each, Crouch was a berk, atmosphere was poor and my mate didn't pick me up for an hour after I landed.

Plus the chance of going to the Nou Camp would have been amazing.

Has to be a cup final surely? Something like the loss to Coventry in The FA Cup Final?

This one still grates on me. Without it we would be unbeaten in FA Cup Finals. Extraordinary.

However for sheer universe-changing power I would have to go with Lasagnegate. Winning the FAC in '87 would have been nice but ultimately would not have done much to shift the balance of power in English football. A Champions League Spurs in 2006 could have seen us emerge as contenders for at least some sustained top-four finishes...

Well if we changed the 5-2 at the Emirates last season we would have finished above them anyway, probably would have kept our run of form, who knows

Maybe, though I think the 5-2 was a symptom rather than the cause of our issues at the end of last season... All just speculation though really.

However, as shit as it was, we lost at Woolwich fair and square. There is no way they should have won at West brom though, for a keeper to make those mistakes in a season would be bad, but in 1 game!?!

Woolwich would have had it in their grasp and thrown it all away and we all know how bad that feels...

:harrysmile:

There's no telling what could of been if lasagne-gate didn't happen. We could of got the big money, Levy was still in free-spending mode back then so we would of had a massive warchest, Woolwich would of been in the UEFA cup, lost millions in sponsorship, TV money and with them just about to move into their new stadium they would of been SOOOO bitter, so I'm going with that.

Plus the cunts wouldn't have that fucking song.

Back
Top Bottom