In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s funny cause most people wanted van Gaal back in 2014 and were sure he’s the right man to take us forward. I remember a lot of the fans weren’t very fussed about Pochettino for various reasons. If anything it just shows that we haven’t got much of a clue and sometimes these appointments are a gamble.
The type of manager and how they fit at Spurs is far more important than a specific manager.

I think Nagelsmann will do great but who knows? But I think his philosophy and track record git well with what the club is trying to do. Same with Potter and Ten Hag.

Every appointment is a gamble - I think the only sure thing was Pep at City.

Potter has his own "sporting director" as part of his setup.

Kyle Macaulay. He was part of his coaching staff as a analyst at Östersund. Then became chief analyst at Swansea. And he is now Brighton's head of scouting.

If we get Potter I would assume that Macaulay would follow. Maybe not as sporting director/DOF. But he would probably be given a role as head scout. And Hitchen can handle the other parts of being technical director.
Makes Potter an even better candidate for Spurs if this is the case.

Look, I don't think either Rodgers or Ole are mind-blowing, but they are both better than Jose was for us, and both would be a significantly nicer presence day-to-day.

There are people who are definitely better choices than either, and if the only criteria is "someone we all like as a person" then we already have the ideal permanent manager. But let's be honest, Jose might have been the worst manager not only of ENIC's tenure, but possibly ever at this club. You could literally appoint Sol Campbell and expect an upturn.
Ramos was the worst

Then Gross

Then Jose

Then Tim

However, in terms of sheer cunt and fan disconnect - Jose hands down

Were they? Ramos at least won a trophy and Gross didn't leave a toxic mess behind him. I think the sum total of what has happened over the past 18 months is perhaps the worst tenure we've had.
Low bar, but this is the least toxic situation Mou has left behind since at least Real Madrid.

It was a failed experiment. And we knew it was an experiment going in.

That we're left searching for answers now is something that was always foreseeable, that's not really Mou's fault.

Low bar, but this is the least toxic situation Mou has left behind since at least Real Madrid.

It was a failed experiment. And we knew it was an experiment going in.

That we're left searching for answers now is something that was always foreseeable, that's not really Mou's fault.
Perhaps. Is the reason this is the least toxic exit since Madrid because he managed to alienate such a large % of the club on the way out that no one was left in his corner?

Poch's Spurs got knocked out of the League Cup by Colchester. Didn't make it out of the Champions League group consisting of Leverkusen, CSKA and Monaco. His Spurs then got knocked out of the Europa League by Gent in the same year.

Rogers would be the best appointment for Spurs.
Not for that ridiculous buyout it will take.

He’s a good coach, not a great one IMO.

Perhaps. Is the reason this is the least toxic exit since Madrid because he managed to alienate such a large % of the club on the way out that no one was left in his corner?
I think it's because we pulled the plug before things got really bad.

I've never seen a team as unwilling to play for their manager as that last month or two in his second spell with Chelsea.

We're just sort of out of sorts and out of ideas. That's child's play by Mou's standards. He wasn't even really getting pissy with the press yet.

Levy in general has always had too quick of a trigger in getting rid of managers IMO, but given Mou's history I think this will go down as a wise decision.

Erm not sure. In terms of players at disposal vs football being played Jose for me stands out as the worse. I mean we where basically a boot it upto Kane and hope for the best team it was so limited.
Kane and Son notwithstanding, I'm not sure history is going to remember Mou as having a great squad at his disposal here.

What Poch was able to pull out of guys like Rose and Dele and Dier continues to age extremely well.

If they have 5 or 6 that get in to ours that means we have 5 or 6 that get in to theirs...
I've never really thought about a combined Leicester/Spurs XI, but now that you mention it...I think only Son and Kane would get in their side, maybe Lloris too. So we'll take Lloris in goal. Perieira (I have spelt his name wrong probably) at right-back. Fofana and Evans are both better than any of our central defenders in my opinion. James Justin is a better left-back than Reg. Ndidi is a better defensive midfielder than Hojbjerg. From what I have seen of both players in the Premier League, I'd take Tielemans over N'Dombele. Kane as the number 9, with the 3 behind him as Son, Maddison and Vardy.

Not that anybody asked me. Carry on!

Back
Top Bottom