In your lifetime-Will Tottenham win the EPL...?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In terms of league position we were EXTREMELY lucky last season. We really didn't deserve a top 4 finish, but luckily ALL of our rivals conspired to give it to us. I thought our overall play throughout the season was less inspirational than in previous recent years. We lacked sharpness (and still do). A large part of this was because other teams had sussed us out and we spent the season being frustrated by packed, well-organised defences, unable to unlock them for long periods of time.
To be fair, I don't see it being much different this season unless we're lucky and get lots of early goals, forcing the oppsition to actually play football.
That said, I feel luckier than ever. This year will be our year, because it hasn't got a one in it, but it nearly has. New stadium, new players. If we beat Man City early on I reckon we'll win the league. If we don't beat them, I reckon we'll win the league.

About 20 years ago I was a finalist in a Saturday night TV quiz show, being hosted by Simon Mayo (Spurs supporter). In the preamble to the final round he chatted to my opponent and me. He mentioned that he and I supported the same team. I replied, "Yes, Spurs, who are going to win the league this season." He just laughed and moved on. Cunt.
Yes we were very fortunate last season in terms in a top four finish but I think over the course of time and amount of unluck if that’s a word we’ve had I think we were due some and a lot more if it’s to be evened out! other teams have built a % of their success on it! The CL we got away with it as well at times but hey ho that’s life but winning a league championship has to be done not just with a good team you also need good fortune and possibly more of the latter especially with Leicester city they had no distractions(cup games,Europe) no suspensions or injuries that season whether we would get away with that would be highly unlikely plus it’s been said a London team trying to win is extra difficult they’ve too much extra rivals.....and with us you know how popular we are in London Town....... ;)

Last edited:
Whilst financial doping is allowed to continue, no.

That the PL is ‘competitive’ and ‘unpredictable’ is an illusion created by a media who, on one hand, praise the likes of Man City (“a joy to watch”), and totally ignore the impact of their incessant spending on the spirit and integrity of competition.

Taking Leicester’s fluke out of the equation, the only teams to have won the League in a post-Fergie era have been financially doped clubs. That Liverpool made it to 97pts last season and didn’t win the League tells us all we need to know about the futility of competing against Man City’s bottomless pit of cash, huge investment into the likes of VVD and Allisson notwithstanding. It’s like asking the greatest rider of all time to have the race of their life against a doped-up Lance Armstrong. We can opine over who we think might win, and whether it’ll be close, but ultimately there will be only one possible outcome.

Until if/when the PL becomes like Ligue 1 and global audiences, sponsors etc begin to switch off, I do not envisage the topic of financial doping being addressed by the governing bodies and/or media.

That the PL is ‘competitive’ and ‘unpredictable’ is an illusion created by a media who, on one hand, praise the likes of Man City (“a joy to watch”), and totally ignore the impact of their incessant spending on the spirit and integrity of competition.

Taking Leicester’s fluke out of the equation, the only teams to have won the League in a post-Fergie era have been financially doped clubs. That Liverpool made it to 97pts last season and didn’t win the League tells us all we need to know about the futility of competing against Man City’s bottomless pit of cash, huge investment into the likes of VVD and Allisson notwithstanding. It’s like asking the greatest rider of all time to have the race of their life against a doped-up Lance Armstrong. We can opine over who we think might win, and whether it’ll be close, but ultimately there will be only one possible outcome.

Until if/when the PL becomes like Ligue 1 and global audiences, sponsors etc begin to switch off, I do not envisage the topic of financial doping being addressed by the governing bodies and/or media.
Yes as to refer to the other thread about “do you care anymore” if it wasn’t for Tottenham and dare i say it how they/Levy does things financially(which I agree with 100%) and keeps it relatively real though it’s getting there! I wouldn’t care about football there’s a lot to be said for supporting your local/smaller teams they’ve no expectations it’s just for the love of football.

Yes as to refer to the other thread about “do you care anymore” if it wasn’t for Tottenham and dare i say it how they/Levy does things financially(which I agree with 100%) and keeps it relatively real though it’s getting there! I wouldn’t care about football there’s a lot to be said for supporting your local/smaller teams they’ve no expectations it’s just for the love of football.
I agree with your last comment, as it must be satisfying to be more than a Client Number. However, you can't help who you fall in love with, so I suppose I'm in for life.

I agree with your last comment, as it must be satisfying to be more than a Client Number. However, you can't help who you fall in love with, so I suppose I'm in for life.
No exactly my love for Tottenham is endless in regards the club, team, history other fans it’s Tottenham Hotspur that’s it and that won’t change but it’s doesn’t mean I always agree with what happens in regards Tottenham if for example we were in a position to take Bale back and offer him the money he’s supposedly been offered in China I would not agree with that at all, no way irrespective of how it would impact us I would not be in favour of that, it’s disgusting.

I don't think so, then again I never thought in a 100 lifetimes we would be in a champions league final that we should have won. Even now I have trouble believing that it was real, I've almost wiped it from my memory because of the result.

I came to the realisaion that i would never see my team win the League after we failed to move on after 85 and 87.My gloom lifted somewhat in the early Venebles /Sugar era with the youngsters we had.Then went again,when they "fell out".
However, i am more positive now than i have ever been in my life.We need to get over the line with a trophy though.All the successful dynasties since the 70s(Liverpool.Mancs etc) have said winning becomes a habit.

Agreed, but for the last part.... Ever heard of PSG?

I hear ya...

As much as I like a day at my local non-league and feel like there's a lot to like; I still feel like a guest.

I don't think so, then again I never thought in a 100 lifetimes we would be in a champions league final that we should have won. Even now I have trouble believing that it was real, I've almost wiped it from my memory because of the result.

I wish I could wipe it as I’m still gutted and get wound up just seeing anyone wearing a Dipper top!

Prize Money is one good reason to win it .............gone up again !

https://www.football.london/premier-league/spurs-chelsea-Woolwich-european-money-16571396

Yes. Tottenham will get it done. Poch has faults, but he's built a culture and Levy built the infrastructure. It's only a matter of time...
and maybe a few hundred million pounds spent on players

Absolutely no chance of ever seeing this happen so I don't expect what won't occur, we keep our head above water financially and will have the odd occasional day out in the sun and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom