Is Mourinho a modern coach after all…?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone with a brain can see that Mourinho adapts his style to the club and the players he has at his disposal. He played turgid football at Man U because they had a shite team.

At Real Madrid, Chelsea and maybe Inter he didnt have time to bed in young players. he was most likely out the door after a year or 2.

Our club is different. We are not as wealthy, but we are more patient. We allow a manager to build. And we dont have the resources to buy the ready made player all the time.

We were also a potent attacking force before he set foot through the door. All we needed was a defence.

The older I get the more frustrated I am listening to Sky, Talksport or any red top/broadsheet. All they do is wind fanbases up to sell their subscriptions/Newspapers/Adverts. They bounce from sensationalist praise to ugly controversy game after game with no middle ground.

You need good players to play good football and we have that now in key positions, but let’s not get too carried away. We have 2 draws and a defeat in our three home matches against mid table teams. When we go on a consistent winning run we can start really believing, we clearly are playing more attacking football than last season but our defensive side has been really poor. Still a lot of work to do to find the right balance.

Anyone with a brain can see that Mourinho adapts his style to the club and the players he has at his disposal. He played turgid football at Man U because they had a shite team.

At Real Madrid, Chelsea and maybe Inter he didnt have time to bed in young players. he was most likely out the door after a year or 2.

Our club is different. We are not as wealthy, but we are more patient. We allow a manager to build. And we dont have the resources to buy the ready made player all the time.

We were also a potent attacking force before he set foot through the door. All we needed was a defence.

The older I get the more frustrated I am listening to Sky, Talksport or any red top/broadsheet. All they do is wind fanbases up to sell their subscriptions/Newspapers/Adverts. They bounce from sensationalist praise to ugly controversy game after game with no middle ground.
I agree with everything you said, though at Madrid Jose signed Ozil, Di María and Khedira - 22, 22 and 23 year-old at the time, respectively - and they all played a huge part in his team. He also played one of Marcelo or Coentrão - both 22 at the time - in every match. He played Ramos as a CB - which completely changed his career, not to mention Madrid´s History -, when he was just 23. And of course, he was the one who brought Varane to the team - when he was 19!

About the (very good) post, the answer is "Yes".

Yeah, from the beginning I thought all this talk about the game passing Mourinho by was nonsense. The guy obviously knows the game far better than any of us on here, so it’s pretty silly to think that he wouldn’t be able to adapt his style/strategies to maximize the strengths of his squad. That’s why he’s got a cabinet full of trophies while we’re posting on this message board talking out of our asses and playing fantasy manager in our spare time.

Jose will win us a trophy this season!

Does it really matter if a coach is modern or not? What is modern now will be obsolete next year

What really ,matters to me:

- Watching Spurs and feeling pleasure and excitement
- Winning games while doing that

My perception fo Mou is that we had a phase 1 which started when he took over and ended at half time against Southampton. A period when we have done well in terms of points, but with many doubts and many dull performances (not all of them definitely)

Then Phase 2 started, and I can see a lot of good stuff, power, dominance, confidence, depth and still lot of margin for improvement, this feeling that we are already doing some amazing stuff (again, not always), and we have barely scratched the surface of what we can do. I am seeing what matters to me

Does it really matter if a coach is modern or not? What is modern now will be obsolete next year

What really ,matters to me:

- Watching Spurs and feeling pleasure and excitement
- Winning games while doing that

My perception fo Mou is that we had a phase 1 which started when he took over and ended at half time against Southampton. A period when we have done well in terms of points, but with many doubts and many dull performances (not all of them definitely)

Then Phase 2 started, and I can see a lot of good stuff, power, dominance, confidence, depth and still lot of margin for improvement, this feeling that we are already doing some amazing stuff (again, not always), and we have barely scratched the surface of what we can do. I am seeing what matters to me
Exactly. There are many ways to win - and to play well - in football. There will always be room for different styles, and that´s the beauty of it - I think it´s a tremendous lack of imagination to think otherwise.

By the way: Two "modern managers" faced each other last week and City vs Woolwich was a BORING game. Sky and BT Sports didn´t mention it, of course, but it was. Modern managers" or "Complicated styles" don´t necessarily make a good football watch.

What's a "modern" coach?
5e4310b84b661b23eb0f59c4

Don’t want to sound ungrateful but I wouldn’t mind seeing a bit of the old mourhino where once his teams scores you know they have won , scoring loads of goals is all good but when you are letting in just as many it takes the enjoyment away from it ! :levyeyes:
In all seriousness though , only a fool would write off someone as good as Jose

Nonsense

We're playing better cos we thankfully threw money at the problems.

The area we didn't really splash was CB and lo and behold that's our problem area.

Like Arry said, a manager is only as good as his players.

Special one they say I am sure for reasons. I thought maybe it was a mistake when Levy got him because I didn't get a call from Levy about his plan to do 180 and buy 10 players in one window. Comes with enough to change a few things around here. We 'll see how it unfold and where it takes us.

I hate all this bollox about modern coaches and that fucking cringe word you hear all the time "progressive"
Fuck off.

There is nothing new in football, it's all been tried before.

The only difference is that the athleticism has significantly increased.

I never understood it when people panned sides that utilized a long ball, if it works who gives a fuck. We might prefer a more attractive on the eye game, but it's all about getting results.

I hate all this bollox about modern coaches and that fucking cringe word you hear all the time "progressive"
Fuck off.

There is nothing new in football, it's all been tried before.

The only difference is that the athleticism has significantly increased.

I never understood it when people panned sides that utilized a long ball, if it works who gives a fuck. We might prefer a more attractive on the eye game, but it's all about getting results.

Pretentious crap. I hear it all the time from mates.

Its nothing more than sky trying to keep people interested. They keep having to re invent the game so it doesnt go stale. Most people can see its the same game its always been.

You can fit what I know about tactics on the back of a postage stamp, but isn't a "pressing" game the same as "push 'n run" which Arthur Rowe introduced in the 1950s. Maybe it doesn't count because it preceded the PL and we all know football didn't exist before 1992!
I'm bored with all the chat around Jose, he can coach in whatever manner he wants, as long as he bags us a trophy or three.

Jose has a good eye for a player it seems , we have bought in a fair few players this window and on a budget as well, how many people wrote of Hojbjerg before he got here as he was just “a plodder” from the saints?

Back
Top Bottom