Italian Espresso Drinkers FC. vs The Mighty Tottenham Hotspur EUROPA LEAGUE

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Right, but what about Saturday to Tuesday or Sunday to Wednesday? For example Woolwich and man city's fixtures next week? Still a three day difference which will be no different.

That should affect the euro results more, the league results less. We were discussing the latter.

And the CL clubs, if my recollection is correct, have complained previously about how other leagues are better at facilitating for Europa success by having their CL teams play on Saturdays before Wednesday games, and sometimes even on Fridays ahead of Tuesday games. The one day extra matters.

So, ye, we are better off in terms of preparations for Europa games than what CL teams may be. But they are better off in terms of preparations for league games.

And in addition to what others have said, there's the extra two matches that need playing if you want to go all the way (Thursday's EL match being the last 32, as opposed to the CL being in the last 16 this week).

That doesn't just result in an extra couple of league fixtures where the team has had to play midweek, but it also reduces the time between rounds of the EL. So the density of fixtures is greater.

I'll be honest, I was initially all for us giving the EL everything we've got - but back at the start of the season, I didn't have a hope in hell that we'd be two points off the top with the best form in the league.
I want us to play the kids. Go all out in the FA Cup - but rotate the fuck out of the squad for EL matches.

And I know that in some ways, you could use the Europa League as practice for being in the Champions League (and having the fixture demands that brings) - but as I mentioned above about the fixture density, I think it'll be more of a hindrance if we actually make a stab at going for the title.
And I don't think our squad is deep enough (at CB, and at striker) to risk it. Summer recruitments, then you go for broke in Europe.

Europa league is far more relevant than that useless FA cup in this day and age. EL improves our coefficient points so we won't end up in pot 4 in champions league group stage draw next season.

We should play our strongest team available vs Fiorentina and rest all of our key players vs Palace on Sunday.

[formation=4231, Lloris, Trippier, Aldeweireld, Wimmer, Davies, Dier, Dembele, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Kane][/formation]
I think what's being said is that priorities CAN change DURING a season...
Who knew we'd be 2nd/2 POINTS of top spot in FEBRUARY??... we normally only find ourselves there in early September!!

Plus, had we not equalised against Leicester in the FA Cup, we'd have a weekend off (like they do) and would most probably be focusing 100% on The UEFA Cup (I'm old school, deal with it!) tomorrow night...

As it is, we're all getting picky and choosy over which Cup competition we deem worthy of our presence...
We could play an entirely different 9 or 10 players tomorrow and still be happy with the line-up... (I'm assuming the CB are set o atone for now)

I have no doubt Poch will rotate this week... and FOR THE BENIFIT of the players/club.... not just to piss anyone off!
If we can do well in the away leg and utilise the squad, I will be more than happy to see us take the FA Cup seroously on Sunday.

Europa League -Round of 32

FiorentinavTottenham

Thu 18 Feb 18:00
Results of each team's last 5 matches across all leagues and competitions

Fiorentinalast 5 matches (most recent first):
14/02/16 (h)Inter Milan 2-1 W
06/02/16 (a)Bologna 1-1 D
03/02/16 (h)Carpi 2-1 W
31/01/16 (a)Genoa 0-0 D
24/01/16 (h)Torino 2-0 W
Tottenhamlast 5 matches (most recent first):
14/02/16 (a)Man City 1-2 W
06/02/16 (h)Watford 1-0 W
02/02/16 (a)Norwich 0-3 W
30/01/16 (a)Colchester 1-4 W
23/01/16 (a)Crystal Palace 1-3 W
Last time they met: Fiorentina 2-0 Tottenham

So they seem quite comfortable at home? I'd be happy if we came back with a draw ( 1-1, away goal).

Europa League -Round of 32

FiorentinavTottenham

Thu 18 Feb 18:00
Results of each team's last 5 matches across all leagues and competitions

Fiorentinalast 5 matches (most recent first):
14/02/16 (h)Inter Milan 2-1 W
06/02/16 (a)Bologna 1-1 D
03/02/16 (h)Carpi 2-1 W
31/01/16 (a)Genoa 0-0 D
24/01/16 (h)Torino 2-0 W
Tottenhamlast 5 matches (most recent first):
14/02/16 (a)Man City 1-2 W
06/02/16 (h)Watford 1-0 W
02/02/16 (a)Norwich 0-3 W
30/01/16 (a)Colchester 1-4 W
23/01/16 (a)Crystal Palace 1-3 W
Last time they met: Fiorentina 2-0 Tottenham

So they seem quite comfortable at home? I'd be happy if we came back with a draw ( 1-1, away goal).

all we need to do is score 3 goals away from home to guarantee the win, which has happened in 3 of our last 4 away games

I don't think we need to rest players for the sake of it if they feel at peak condition and the coaches/medical staff agree.

I know it's reported Poch is tough on his training but there must be some sort of common sense where if we play on a Thursday night we'll fly home and the players will have a rest on Friday, then in Saturday for a bit of light training and preparation for Palace on Sunday.

I'm sure the players would rather play 2 competitive games a week than do extra training, their confidence must be sky high after the City game and the players have mentioned this themselves. Let's not throw a game away by playing reserves like Redknapp, let's keep the good run going for as long as possible.

What's the difference to playing Wednesday/Saturday champions league style and playing Thursday/Sunday for Europa League?
It is a question as old as time to Tottenham supporters wanting us knocked out of Europe. If the holy grail is Champions League, as so many seem to think then why in the fuck are the same twats wanting us knocked out of Europa League which is exactly the same setup just on different days?

Last edited:
No, they should play in the two Europa games, not in the FA Cup or against Swansea, to ensure that they aren't suspended from too many yellows against West Ham and Woolwich.

Alli hasn't been yellowed since the end of last year, so chance he racks up three to be suspended for Woolwich is very low. Either way, neither should play against Palace. Dier should be rested against Swansea.

That would ensure he's present for Spammers and Woolwich, and honestly he probably will be carded in both. But he'll miss the QF of the FA Cup, if we make it, otherwise Villa and Bournemouth. Fine by me.

Wouldn't want him to be missing against Liverpool, United, Stoke, West Brom, Chelsea stretch.

Alli hasn't been yellowed since the end of last year, so chance he racks up three to be suspended for Woolwich is very low. Either way, neither should play against Palace. Dier should be rested against Swansea.

That would ensure he's present for Spammers and Woolwich, and honestly he probably will be carded in both. But he'll miss the QF of the FA Cup, if we make it, otherwise Villa and Bournemouth. Fine by me.

Wouldn't want him to be missing against Liverpool, United, Stoke, West Brom, Chelsea stretch.

It actually seems like we might find ourselves in a situation where a player should try to get yellows. He should get one against West Ham and one against Arse. Preferably late in the games, and preferably only one yellow per game.

Might see a few tactical yellows to clear the books? Maybe take a shirt off or kick a ball away at the end of a comfy win?

Back
Top Bottom