Jakub Jankto: Czech Republic international midfielder comes out as gay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
Fair play and good luck to him. Hopefully it gives others the courage to follow suit.

Sleep Yawn GIF

Fair play and good luck to him. Hopefully it gives others the courage to follow suit.

Prem player this season coming soon.

Good on the bloke.

Ridiculous it is still headline news in this day and age. But until it becomes more common place, then it will continue to be so.
Agreed. In England it’s a complete non event really. It’s probably a far bigger deal back home for him though. A lot of Europe is some way behind the UK for tolerance and acceptance on various fronts.

Agreed. In England it’s a complete non event really. It’s probably a far bigger deal back home for him though. A lot of Europe is some way behind the UK for tolerance and acceptance on various fronts.
When's the last time a professional footballer came out in the UK? In general society maybe it's a non event, but in British football the first player to come out will have a total circus to face up to.

It's definitely not a non-event because sportsmen in this country who feel comfortable coming out are still incredibly rare. We still have loads of homophobic bullshit coming from fans on a very regular basis, and we still have a big issue in this country with homophobic abuse, both physically & verbally - 1 in 5 LGBT people reported experiencing a hate crime last year.

Sadly; as far as the football landscape is concerned; over here it is still very much a big deal too.

Sadly; as far as the football landscape is concerned; over here it is still very much a big deal too.
I honestly don’t think most people care. In almost every part of my life and the groups of people I interact with, there are LGB+ people and it’s just normal. I go to various different sports matches with friends, a couple of whom are gay. Nobody cares. I haven’t seen or heard anything homophobic at WHL for years. The media making a deal out of it makes it worse for me, in terms of creating pressure and attention around something that is a total non issue.

Isn't there a Blackpool (I think) young player that came out earlier this season? I'm glad he hasn't been made a 'poster boy' and I haven't heard anything negative from opposing fans (it's not just opposing fans that may have a problem with someone's sexuality, of course).

Over here, of course there are a significant number of people who still can't grasp the idea of a gay footballer, and I don't think education is going to change things for people so entrenched with the negative connotation of being gay, even if they keep their prejudices to themselves. Education will help the school kids of today see things in a positive light and the idea of LGBTQ being 'different' won't even enter most peoples heads in a generation or two - hopefully, people will just be people, though of course there will always be people that think otherwise but hopefully over time the number will keep decreasing. I say all that with a caveat that religious attitudes need to change, as well as general social attitudes.

Last edited:
Nothing really to add to the conversation, just wanted to show a bit of support.
Love Is Love Rainbow GIF by evite

Be happy!

If this message of how a person is sexually oriented is as important as when a sack of rice bursts in China, then we are on the right track.

Ridiculous it is still headline news in this day and age. But until it becomes more common place, then it will continue to be so.
To be fair, there's still a lot of angst where this is concerned, and not just in Football Mrs P.

My Son came out about 5 years ago. Told his Mum first, but felt he needed to build up the courage to tell me.
I've always had a very close relationship with my Son, but he was very worried that this would drive a wedge between us, so he was extremely worried about telling me. As it was, I already suspected, so when he told me I just straight out told him that his sexuality made no difference to me or how I felt about him. He is my Son and my pride and love for him had nothing to do with his sexuality.

Our relationship is even stronger now than it was before.

Whilst we, as a society, are more accepting of homosexuality, the stigma that existed previously hasn't gone away just yet. I'm quite liberal in my outlook, and yet my Son still worried at how I'd take it, which was purely based on his perception of how society would react, particularly my generation.

So it doesn't come as a surprise that this is a headliner to me. Considering the fact that Football fans do have an archaic and intolerant element and, whilst most individuals are quite tolerant, as a mob we do tend to follow that when it's a rival, it's extremely brave of this player to come out as he has.

Kudos to him. He's going to get grief, I think we all know this will happen to greater or lesser extents.

I doubt this will lead to an avalanche of players coming out, any other gay players I feel will likely see what the reaction is first. If it's vitriolic, they're more likely to keep schtum. If he gets a positive reaction in the main, I reckon we'll see a few more prepared to take the plunge.

To be fair, there's still a lot of angst where this is concerned, and not just in Football Mrs P.

My Son came out about 5 years ago. Told his Mum first, but felt he needed to build up the courage to tell me.
I've always had a very close relationship with my Son, but he was very worried that this would drive a wedge between us, so he was extremely worried about telling me. As it was, I already suspected, so when he told me I just straight out told him that his sexuality made no difference to me or how I felt about him. He is my Son and my pride and love for him had nothing to do with his sexuality.

Our relationship is even stronger now than it was before.

Whilst we, as a society, are more accepting of homosexuality, the stigma that existed previously hasn't gone away just yet. I'm quite liberal in my outlook, and yet my Son still worried at how I'd take it, which was purely based on his perception of how society would react, particularly my generation.

So it doesn't come as a surprise that this is a headliner to me. Considering the fact that Football fans do have an archaic and intolerant element and, whilst most individuals are quite tolerant, as a mob we do tend to follow that when it's a rival, it's extremely brave of this player to come out as he has.

Kudos to him. He's going to get grief, I think we all know this will happen to greater or lesser extents.

I doubt this will lead to an avalanche of players coming out, any other gay players I feel will likely see what the reaction is first. If it's vitriolic, they're more likely to keep schtum. If he gets a positive reaction in the main, I reckon we'll see a few more prepared to take the plunge.
You're right of course, some people are still very intolerant, be it sexuality, race, etc.
So glad that things worked out for you and your son, that's a lovely story. If only more people were like that, the world would be a much better place.

You're right of course, some people are still very intolerant, be it sexuality, race, etc.
So glad that things worked out for you and your son, that's a lovely story. If only more people were like that, the world would be a much better place.
Funnily enough, he's a proper Cockney Malteser too! Born in Lewisham and his Mum is Maltese descent.

My boy is a wonderful person in every respect. A few minutes in his company is all it takes to see that.

Your sexuality doesn't define you as a person. As far as I'm concerned it has no impact on that whatsoever.

He makes the World a better place just by being in it with his attitude towards everyone and everything in it.

If your opinion of a person changes because of their sexuality, I'm afraid the issue is with you, not with them.

Not you personally of course...

Back
Top Bottom