Jakub Jankto: Czech Republic international midfielder comes out as gay

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair, there's still a lot of angst where this is concerned, and not just in Football Mrs P.

My Son came out about 5 years ago. Told his Mum first, but felt he needed to build up the courage to tell me.
I've always had a very close relationship with my Son, but he was very worried that this would drive a wedge between us, so he was extremely worried about telling me. As it was, I already suspected, so when he told me I just straight out told him that his sexuality made no difference to me or how I felt about him. He is my Son and my pride and love for him had nothing to do with his sexuality.

Our relationship is even stronger now than it was before.

Whilst we, as a society, are more accepting of homosexuality, the stigma that existed previously hasn't gone away just yet. I'm quite liberal in my outlook, and yet my Son still worried at how I'd take it, which was purely based on his perception of how society would react, particularly my generation.

So it doesn't come as a surprise that this is a headliner to me. Considering the fact that Football fans do have an archaic and intolerant element and, whilst most individuals are quite tolerant, as a mob we do tend to follow that when it's a rival, it's extremely brave of this player to come out as he has.

Kudos to him. He's going to get grief, I think we all know this will happen to greater or lesser extents.

I doubt this will lead to an avalanche of players coming out, any other gay players I feel will likely see what the reaction is first. If it's vitriolic, they're more likely to keep schtum. If he gets a positive reaction in the main, I reckon we'll see a few more prepared to take the plunge.
Being Woolwich on the other hand......

Funnily enough, he's a proper Cockney Malteser too! Born in Lewisham and his Mum is Maltese descent.

My boy is a wonderful person in every respect. A few minutes in his company is all it takes to see that.

Your sexuality doesn't define you as a person. As far as I'm concerned it has no impact on that whatsoever.

He makes the World a better place just by being in it with his attitude towards everyone and everything in it.

If your opinion of a person changes because of their sexuality, I'm afraid the issue is with you, not with them.

Not you personally of course...
You're so right, us Maltesers are lovely people ;)

He sounds a really decent boy, no wonder you're so proud of him. Take good care of each other x

To be fair, there's still a lot of angst where this is concerned, and not just in Football Mrs P.

My Son came out about 5 years ago. Told his Mum first, but felt he needed to build up the courage to tell me.
I've always had a very close relationship with my Son, but he was very worried that this would drive a wedge between us, so he was extremely worried about telling me. As it was, I already suspected, so when he told me I just straight out told him that his sexuality made no difference to me or how I felt about him. He is my Son and my pride and love for him had nothing to do with his sexuality.

Our relationship is even stronger now than it was before.

Whilst we, as a society, are more accepting of homosexuality, the stigma that existed previously hasn't gone away just yet. I'm quite liberal in my outlook, and yet my Son still worried at how I'd take it, which was purely based on his perception of how society would react, particularly my generation.

So it doesn't come as a surprise that this is a headliner to me. Considering the fact that Football fans do have an archaic and intolerant element and, whilst most individuals are quite tolerant, as a mob we do tend to follow that when it's a rival, it's extremely brave of this player to come out as he has.

Kudos to him. He's going to get grief, I think we all know this will happen to greater or lesser extents.

I doubt this will lead to an avalanche of players coming out, any other gay players I feel will likely see what the reaction is first. If it's vitriolic, they're more likely to keep schtum. If he gets a positive reaction in the main, I reckon we'll see a few more prepared to take the plunge.
Need a heart reaction for this one.

You're so right, us Maltesers are lovely people ;)

He sounds a really decent boy, no wonder you're so proud of him. Take good care of each other x
The Wife has just come back from Malta yesterday, awful weather there ATM, storms and such.
It's one of my favourite places to visit as I love the rugged beauty of the islands. It's getting very crowded and expensive over there now though, so whilst it was somewhere that we had in mind as a place we'd retire to, I don't think that'll be the case any more.

As to the boy, he's already promised us a house in Hawaii when he makes it big 😁 (he's currently in his last Uni year of Musical theatre). He's a talent for sure, but I'm not holding my breath on Hawaii!

I didn't care what gender he wants to do it with before that tweet and I don't care what gender he wants to do it with after that tweet. An individual's sexuality should be a private matter that people outside that individual's immediate circle have no right to know anything about (unless it's a dangerous sexuality obviously) in my opinion.
This "footballers must come out" campaign is quite disrespectful by the way. There are most likely gay players who believe that no one outside their immediate circle has anything to do with their sexuality and those players should not be forced to expose themselves just because The Guardian wants them to.

I didn't care what gender he wants to do it with before that tweet and I don't care what gender he wants to do it with after that tweet. An individual's sexuality should be a private matter that people outside that individual's immediate circle have no right to know anything about (unless it's a dangerous sexuality obviously) in my opinion.
This "footballers must come out" campaign is quite disrespectful by the way. There are most likely gay players who believe that no one outside their immediate circle has anything to do with their sexuality and those players should not be forced to expose themselves just because The Guardian wants them to.

Shut up.

You cared enough to login to TFC to whine about it.

The Wife has just come back from Malta yesterday, awful weather there ATM, storms and such.
It's one of my favourite places to visit as I love the rugged beauty of the islands. It's getting very crowded and expensive over there now though, so whilst it was somewhere that we had in mind as a place we'd retire to, I don't think that'll be the case any more.

As to the boy, he's already promised us a house in Hawaii when he makes it big 😁 (he's currently in his last Uni year of Musical theatre). He's a talent for sure, but I'm not holding my breath on Hawaii!
Before lockdown, I was going over every five/six weeks to see my mum, but she passed away just before lockdown, so don't feel the need to go over that much now. Like you, I always thought that I would retire there too, but certainly wouldn't now. Far too many people over there, and they're knocking down beautiful old houses and replacing them with ugly, concrete boxes.
But Hawaii - now you're talking.
You'll have to let us know when he's headlining in the West End. :)

There is no campaign to get them 'out', gay people want to be 'out', they want the world to know and not be hidden away and pretending to be straight, as it seems you would prefer. The more footballers that express their homosexuality publicly the better it will be for The Game and society in general.

There is no campaign to get them 'out', gay people want to be 'out', they want the world to know and not be hidden away and pretending to be straight, as it seems you would prefer. The more footballers that express their homosexuality publicly the better it will be for The Game and society in general.

How the hell do you know what all the gay people on the planet want? Do you know all of them? They decide if they want everybody to know, not you or me. I have not said that anyone should pretend to be straight or anything else by the way. Don't put words in my mouth.

Neither of you nor The Guardian should interfere in the privacy of the players. You have nothing to do with their sexual identities or other aspects of their private lives. That's all I'm saying and it's not controversial in any way.

Amazingly all the straight players feel comfortable going out with their girlfriends publicly or announcing engagements, but apparently all the gay ones feel the need to a 'personal life' and to hide .. I wonder why. Could it be because they fear homophobia, thus when somebody does have the balls to come out as gay we applaud it?

It's logic a toddler could work out, tbh. So it's all very disingenuous when people like you do the whole 'well no1 cares if we just ignore it then homophobia will go away' schtick. People do care & it still needs to be talked about, it just doesn't impact you so you don't care.

Neither of you nor The Guardian should interfere in the privacy of the players. You have nothing to do with their sexual identities or other aspects of their private lives. That's all I'm saying and it's not controversial in any way.

Wishing good luck to people who have the courage to be open about who they are in a society and industry which is quite unforgiving isn't "interfering" with anyone.

The fact is it seems him being openly who he is seems to cause you some sort of discomfort. It's not up to me to out anyone, or the Guardian but it's also not up to you to tell him he should be so ashamed of who he is he shouldn't tell anyone.

How the hell do you know what all the gay people on the planet want? Do you know all of them? They decide if they want everybody to know, not you or me. I have not said that anyone should pretend to be straight or anything else by the way. Don't put words in my mouth.
"This "footballers must come out" campaign".... you're such a thick little prick you can't even remember what you wrote.

Last edited:
Before lockdown, I was going over every five/six weeks to see my mum, but she passed away just before lockdown, so don't feel the need to go over that much now. Like you, I always thought that I would retire there too, but certainly wouldn't now. Far too many people over there, and they're knocking down beautiful old houses and replacing them with ugly, concrete boxes.
But Hawaii - now you're talking.
You'll have to let us know when he's headlining in the West End. :)
Are you kidding?

If my boy headlines in the West End I'm telling everyone.

I mean ... EVERYONE!!!

Including 'straight' people?

Imagine thinking these players give a shit if society frowns or not on his sexual orientation, the majority of people are NPCs anyway. The abuse the players get after shit games is more evident, but anyway, nice PR move.

Jakub Jankto pays tribute to reception from fans in first game since coming out as gay​

Jakub Jankto became the first active international men's footballer to come out as gay last week and received a warm reception when he played for Sparta Prague on Sunday

Czech international Jakub Jankto has paid tribute to Sparta Prague fans who loudly cheered him when he made his first appearance since coming out as gay.

Justinus Soni "Justin" Fashanu was an English footballer who played for a variety of clubs between 1978 and 1997. He was known by his early clubs to be gay, and came out publicly later in his career, becoming the first professional footballer to be openly gay.

Justinus Soni "Justin" Fashanu was an English footballer who played for a variety of clubs between 1978 and 1997. He was known by his early clubs to be gay, and came out publicly later in his career, becoming the first professional footballer to be openly gay.
Sadly committed suicide.

Back
Top Bottom