James Maddison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People shouldn't be losing their shit over Maddison. He would have periods for Leicester where he was top drawer, and periods where he was much quieter. He's a very good player but doesn't have that consistency that world-class players do, who do it week it, week out. But he'll come good again sooner rather than later.

I think he is. If bissouma was doing his job better perhaps he wouldn't feel the need to drop so deep.
He drops deep to take an oppo player with him.

Also, I think it makes us less predictable, by that I mean in our build-up it's Biss who's the focal point but teams know this so they pay him a lot of attention, he's never not marked. We need another player dropping into that pivot to collect the ball to make us less predictable.. (Sarr scares me shitless when he does it, whilst PEH was very good yesterday, he did what he does when also receiving the ball facing our goal in the pivot, he lost it as he under-hit a very poor pass playing wide to Destiny. Bentancur is the guy to do it when selected - a more creative passer for sure but isn't as secure as Biss when pressed and can lose the ball).

He drops deep to take an oppo player with him.

Also, I think it makes us less predictable, by that I mean in our build-up it's Biss who's the focal point but teams know this so they pay him a lot of attention, he's never not marked. We need another player dropping into that pivot to collect the ball to make us less predictable.. (Sarr scares me shitless when he does it, whilst PEH was very good yesterday, he did what he does when also receiving the ball facing our goal in the pivot, he lost it as he under-hit a very poor pass playing wide to Destiny. Bentancur is the guy to do it when selected - a more creative passer for sure but isn't as secure as Biss when pressed and can lose the ball).
i think we almost need to take the risk of creating a risky situation for bissouma to create the space by beating the players pressing. I dont think it suits him recieving the ball and having no pressure on the ball. And because he cant do that maddison us coming in to do that. If we get that back maddison can be making a difference relieving the ball further up with more space to work in. I don't think how we are playing is utilising our attacking players like maddison to the absolute best of their ability right now.

Yes he is. You can’t just look at it from him playing defence splitting passes. It’s his movement into different areas that creates space for others where our chances come from. Go and watch our goal against West Ham and our first goal yesterday and see what he does. That’s creative. And I’d also say he has a big part in our third goal🤷‍♂️
Look at his performances all round earlier in the season. He's nowhere near that atm.

I think we have seen in the second part of the season, why the other top teams have steered clear.

I like him but he is still below what Eriksen was at his best, but does have time to improve. Just shows how good the Dane was though.

Maddison needs to find his radar and to keep his hands down..

He looks like he is still playing a bit hurt or otherwise not at full fitness. His mobility and explosiveness look to be at lower levels than they were pre-injury. Ange limiting his minutes suggests this is the case, too.

Its obvious he’s too proud to admit things like if he’s playing hurt and if it is negatively affecting his performance. Maddison needs support right now. People should not be blind to his struggles to regain fitness.

For me in an ideal world he wouldn’t be playing heavy if any minutes while still in this state. I think it says a lot about his mentality- he is desperate to help the club finish in CL places this season- even at risk of worsening his injury. You can see how much it means to him.

Seen it now. Wasn't a punch.
If one of our players an Udogie or Richarlison went to ground after that little bit off foreplay I'd be actually pissed at them. 100% serious and I'd not want even an irritant like Saka or Robertson off as a result. I think you can tell people who played this game by their reaction. We don't have VAR and we do not cry mammy for these kind of digs, that just the fucking game!!@

If one of our players an Udogie or Richarlison went to ground after that little bit off foreplay I'd be actually pissed at them. 100% serious and I'd not want even an irritant like Saka or Robertson off as a result. I think you can tell people who played this game by their reaction. We don't have VAR and we do not cry mammy for these kind of digs, that just the fucking game!!@

Yates is a cunt that was targeting Maddison and getting a reaction is part of his goal.

He’s done it against us twice now. Refs just let him get away with it too.

i think we almost need to take the risk of creating a risky situation for bissouma to create the space by beating the players pressing. I dont think it suits him recieving the ball and having no pressure on the ball. And because he cant do that maddison us coming in to do that. If we get that back maddison can be making a difference relieving the ball further up with more space to work in. I don't think how we are playing is utilising our attacking players like maddison to the absolute best of their ability right now.
Madders has been doing it all season, specifically in the first 10 games (remember he had the ball nicked off him by Jesus who fluffed his shot), I mention this because there were elements to how we played then that were fantastic, especially our build-up via Biss who would often evade that press. Madders offered a great alternative to Biss, it meant the oppo couldn't be super aggressive with Biss, namely double up on him because if they did that Madders became an option.

I think it's important to note that Biss is easily one of our 3 most pressed players (him. Madders & Son). Oppo always have a man on Biss, he's never left free, yet he rarely loses the ball. But he's certainly playing the percentages now and plays it safe back to CB's, it's okay as we keep the ball and keep probing playing the ball between CB's, Biss and Vic but without Biss turning our build-up is much slower, more methodical, it does still work eventually.

I confess I haven't got a handle on what we are doing up top, other than quite clearly looking for whipping the ball across the goal from wide positions (we used to be very good at the cut-back too but that's dropped off too). Maybe Ange's big plan is to obsess on a certain move, before moving on to another one getting us ready for next season when we put all of these things together??? haha

"What I will say is, the referee has to be guided by VAR because he doesn't see it. VAR doesn't send him to the screen so he doesn't see the incident again. If he did, who knows what decision he would make?

"I think Maddison is really lucky. If you do that on a football field and you get sent off, you haven't got a leg to stand on.

"The referee hasn't had a chance to look at it because of the VAR protocol. It hasn't met the threshold."

I think we have seen in the second part of the season, why the other top teams have steered clear.

I like him but he is still below what Eriksen was at his best, but does have time to improve. Just shows how good the Dane was though.

Maddison needs to find his radar and to keep his hands down..
Eriksen went missing more often than Maddison, and I would rather have a peak Maddison than a peak Eriksen...

"What I will say is, the referee has to be guided by VAR because he doesn't see it. VAR doesn't send him to the screen so he doesn't see the incident again. If he did, who knows what decision he would make?

"I think Maddison is really lucky. If you do that on a football field and you get sent off, you haven't got a leg to stand on.

"The referee hasn't had a chance to look at it because of the VAR protocol. It hasn't met the threshold."

Translation: The match officials didn’t think it was a red card but let me say it in the most inflammatory way for Skysports

Not a red for mine but could have been given.
A relatively cheap learning opportunity for Madders about letting annoying opps get under his skin. No doubt Ange will have had a little chat with him.

Not a red for mine but could have been given.
A relatively cheap learning opportunity for Madders about letting annoying opps get under his skin. No doubt Ange will have had a little chat with him.
Needs to let his football do the talking. Getting wound up by cloggers like Yates will just encourage others to target him.

Back
Top Bottom