Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What did it say, not available, thanks

"Tottenham Hotspur have informed Jan Vertonghen the club will not be offering an extension to his contract.

Spurs’ medical staff have concerns over an ankle injury, which may have also contributed to the Belgian’s decline in performances this season. "

I heard he was offered a month month extension to cover the dippers "Corporate Manslaughter Cup".

Love Jan think its a mistake to let him go. He comes across as an intelligent presence in the squad and could help bring younger players through. I know money talks and football is ruthless but some how i feel we should find a role for him.
It is sad news but time to move on. Hard to see how we could do a deal now.

Jan / his agent would have been looking to maximise value of his last big contract. Fair enough. He held out, like Toby did, but in the end looks like Jan decided to keep his options open, knowing he could get more elsewhere. Maybe we were also keeping our options open, lowballing a bit. But since the pandemic, the numbers on offer are going to be a lot lower. And it would be hard for him to accept an offer from spurs at the new market value if that is eg half of what Toby is on. He's a proud man. Better he goes. Maybe he'll be back some day as a coach.

I hope there is always a door open for SuperJan with us. I think he comes across as a tactically intelligent guy so either as a defensive coach or manager in the future.

I guess he still plans to play, otherwise the club should keep him in some capacity.
If it's true that the club want him to take a one year contract on half his current wages after handing Toby an unwarranted mega contract can you blame him wanting to go. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're not handing him a new contract, but he's not the only problem we have.

Can Jan not be used as a utility DM he’s got the football intelligence, doesn’t need to run too far or too fast, if Matic can do it why not Verts is a much better footballer

I’m just bored don’t @ me

I'll be gutted when he goes, but it's the right time for him to move on. Glad he's not going to another English club, wish him nothing but the best for the future.
Would love to see him back in a coaching capacity in the future.

How far is Rome from Milan

Eriksen-missus-feat.jpg

Well he's here till the end of this season at least after signing an extension. Personally im pleased as it means we have more cover in a period where injuries are gonna mount up, plus hes been a bloody good servant to this club.

Well he's here till the end of this season at least after signing an extension. Personally I'm pleased as it means we have more cover in a period where injuries are gonna mount up, plus he's been a bloody good servant to this club.
After Rose and Kane, Jan is our longest serving player.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom