Jan Vertonghen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You just quoted half of it
I quoted your entire (embarrassing) post:

ss.png

I never understood the sentimentality when players leave. They are all high paid mercenaries BUT the ones that really make a statement; Gareth Bale , Modric . Yes but fuck me if Verthongen . Get over it and fast. It is embarrassing, Clynelish Clynelish

Crazy how quick 8 years goes.

Signed for us in the post-Redknapp shake up with Modric, King, van der Vaart etc all leaving. What a shame he couldn't play alongside those great players, but he was excellent that year. Scored loads and was just a real class above, a real good King replacement.

His attitude was questioned over the next year or so when AVB was eventually sacked and Sherwood came into it. I still remember all the body language experts getting all in a huff because Vertonghen was relaxing before a game against Liverpool once and even accused him of going off "injured" in a game early because he didn't want to be out there.

But then what followed were for the most part 4 superbly consistent years. Getting a brilliant partnership out of Fazio, becoming a rock with long term friend Alderweireld and even for a brief part of that 4 years, forging a good understanding with Davinson Sanchez.

It's a shame there wasn't a crowd for him to get a true proper send off. I have no doubt when crowds are back, we'll invite him back home to allow for that standing ovation his loyalty and his brilliant deserve.

Super Jan!

Jan came before the Bale money and was a fantastic player for us, he out of anyone deserved silverware. Not a bad word ever said about him and never a bad word said by him and as far as I'm concerned he has legend status. Good luck Superjan

It's not often a Defender is one of your favourite players.... but down the years (and for a supposedly 'attacking, flair' club like ours) the likes of Blanchflower, MacKay, Perryman, Roberts, Mabbutt, Gough, Campbell, King and Vertonghen have been up there with Greaves, Hoddle, Ardiles, Archibald, Ginola, Bale, Modric, VdV, Berbatov, Sheringham, Defoe and Kane as personal favourites!

Just shows you what influence a World class defender can make!

Last edited:
It's not often a Defender is one of your favourite players.... but down the years (and for a supposedly 'attacking, flair' club like ours) the likes of Blanchflower, MacKay, Perryman, Mabbutt, Gough, Campbell, King and Vertonghen have been up there with Greaves, Hoddle, Ardiles, Archibald, Ginola, Bale, Modric, VdV, Berbatov, Sheringham, Defoe and Kane as personal favourites!

Just shows you what influence a World class defender can make!

I still have a lot of love for Dawson.

Vertonghen deal was mostly agreed just before Harry Redknapp left

Tottenham's 1-0 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday evening was one of Jan Vertonghen's best displays in a Spurs shirt.

Signed from Ajax ahead of the 2012/13 season for £12million, the 31-year-old has proved to be one of the club's best signings over the past decade.

The Belgian international, who played a major role in the 3-0 win over Dortmund in the first leg last month, was once again at the top of his game in Germany as he produced some sublime tackles and blocks.

Joining the Lilywhites shortly after the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas in June 2012, Harry Redknapp revealed the role he played in the transfer prior to his exit at the end of the previous season.

I went over to Holland and we watched him," he said after the game on BT Sport. "I watched him again at Old Trafford. I went to that game and we decided to sign him."

However, Vertonghen never got the chance to play under the experienced manager as he was sacked by the club a few weeks after guiding Spurs to fourth in the Premier League

"It was a funny day. I was leaving," added Redknapp. "It was the last day of the season, we’d just beaten I think it was Fulham at home, I was just coming out of the ground and he was going up the lift with a member of staff.

"I thought: ‘That’s funny, no one told me he was here’ and that was it.

"They didn’t tell me he was there and they did tell me I wasn’t there"

Vertonghen deal was mostly agreed just before Harry Redknapp left

Tottenham's 1-0 win over Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League on Tuesday evening was one of Jan Vertonghen's best displays in a Spurs shirt.

Signed from Ajax ahead of the 2012/13 season for £12million, the 31-year-old has proved to be one of the club's best signings over the past decade.

The Belgian international, who played a major role in the 3-0 win over Dortmund in the first leg last month, was once again at the top of his game in Germany as he produced some sublime tackles and blocks.

Joining the Lilywhites shortly after the appointment of Andre Villas-Boas in June 2012, Harry Redknapp revealed the role he played in the transfer prior to his exit at the end of the previous season.

I went over to Holland and we watched him," he said after the game on BT Sport. "I watched him again at Old Trafford. I went to that game and we decided to sign him."

However, Vertonghen never got the chance to play under the experienced manager as he was sacked by the club a few weeks after guiding Spurs to fourth in the Premier League

"It was a funny day. I was leaving," added Redknapp. "It was the last day of the season, we’d just beaten I think it was Fulham at home, I was just coming out of the ground and he was going up the lift with a member of staff.

"I thought: ‘That’s funny, no one told me he was here’ and that was it.

"They didn’t tell me he was there and they did tell me I wasn’t there"

I was at that game. We beat Fulham 2-0.

Very weird atmosphere due to knowing Chelsea were in the CL final.

Surprised he remembers any of it. I’d have assumed he’d have been on the phone to the press about his England credentials.

Back
Top Bottom