January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you read Ramos' side?

It's not all on Levy:

Juande Ramos: 'Tottenham won a cup, everyone was happy. Then? Sacked'

And I find you're dancing around the actual issue. We've been let down by managerial mistakes more than a lack of January signings. To claim that's it's all down to signings ignores everything that actually happened.
I know the net spend argument has been flogged to death, but if we weren`t bottom of the net spend league, then I think you`d have a valid argument that lack of signings haven`t hindered our progress. But the fact that we are, suggests otherwise.

what am i wrong about?
Dier playing DM for Sporting = FACT
Bale playing quite a lot of games further forward for Southampton = FACT
Playing as a lone striker is hard = Opinion but the general consensus would agree.
Younger players finding it easier to convert into a new position = Basically Fact

It's not that i'm wrong...it's that (much like earlier on when you ignored posts when you knew you was wrong) you don't know how to debate properly and resort to insults (calling people twats and all sorts) and claiming people are saying things when they are not (rather than read their post properly)

Just look at our previous interactions earlier on this thread to see what kind of person you are.

Mate, I don't need to debate anything to tell you that you're an arrogant, self righteous prick. Because that is exactly how you come across in every discussion. Not just with me.

What are you wrong about? You're wrong about players not being able to move position. Your whole argument is that Son and Chadli can't play up front in our system when one has said he can and the other has proven he can.

As for your fact Bullshit. Chadli has stated himself he is comfortable playing up top. FACT
Son has played up front on a number of occasions for us, for Korea and in Germany. Another FACT.

So tell me again why we can't play these two players up front or stop quoting me, because I doubt I'm the only one sick of our conversations.

Twat.

I know the net spend argument has been flogged to death, but if we weren`t bottom of the net spend league, then I think you`d have a valid argument that lack of signings haven`t hindered our progress. But the fact that we are, suggests otherwise.

Really? Because we have progressed as a club since ENIC took over and we have kept it stable as fuck...

For what it's worth. I'd have no intention of being in the same room as you. Because you're a twat.

But if I was. I'd still tell you that you're a twat.

I also asked you to tell me why we can't play Chadli or Son up front oh enlightened one.

Given we got 100 million for one guy, and that's the main source of our negative net spend, and spent on roughly 7 players in the same window, I am not sure that someone can claim there was a lack of signings.

There were wrong signings, but that's not the same thing as saying there is a lack, and that this lack came from an intent to not invest in the club.

We don't overspend. That's the right of the owners to not run at a loss. They're not obliged to treat their money as our toy. If you have a problem with other people doing that, and therefore getting ahead of us, you should have made that argument 30 years ago, when UK fans lost the fight without realizing it over club ownership.

If you're trying to claim that a lack of January signings is the reason we failed in the past, when Harry tanked the team in our best year through sheer idiocy, and AVB was a tactical mess who couldn't manage a squad that wasn't his exact Porto squad, then I think you need to show me that the problem was a lack of a striker, rather than several well-documented fuck-ups by the people already signed, or managing.

Pages and pages of this stuff AGAIN about whether Spurs are messing up by not buying a top notch ready to go striker as Kane back up.
What about our competitors?
Woolwich- what if Giroud gets injured? Walcott?
City- what if Aguero gets injured? Bony?
Utd don't even have an in form key front man to worry about getting injuries. All these clubs andLeicester have a variety of relatively versatile forwards to use if necessary. Are we REALLY in a weaker position with Chadli Son Lamela Erikson and Alli as attacking force aside from Kane?

Actually, don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question and I don't want to feel obliged to respond.

I want more. To me, Spurs are the biggest club in the world. He we have the best fans, the best history, the best stadium, the best eveything....But we should always be aiming higher. Its better to succeed aiming high, than to fail aiming low. To Dare Is To Do

Playing on Spurs nostalgia to say absolutely nothing at all.

Aiming for the League, a domestic cup and European cup is aiming low?

Thanks for putting it in words though, that nothing will ever be good enough for you.

Explains a lot.

Having hybrid players positioned forward and centrally as a backup seems to be prevalent across the league. Firmino, Walcott, Kone, Diouf and last year Sterling & Rooney all play(ed) in the line behind a striker as starters; however, they have/had backup CF duties as well. It makes sense, if you've got a guy who can fill two pairs of shoes why sign the backup when he doesn't know the system and will presumably have a learning curve and moreover, command a fee and salary. One thing in common with all of those teams is they play, for the most part, a 4-2-3-1 or some variant thereof with designated attacking and defending midfielders. Perhaps the out and out #9 isn't viewed as being pivotal when you have strong attacking talent slightly deeper. Just because Citeh has 2 #9s doesn't mean it's necessarily prudent. I don't think it's cut and dry that a striker is the make or break signing for this year, but certainly over the summer one should be brought in. Would be interesting if Moussa is brought in this window if he's even viewed as the #2 on the striking depth chart.

For what it's worth. I'd have no intention of being in the same room as you. Because you're a twat.

But if I was. I'd still tell you that you're a twat.

I also asked you to tell me why we can't play Chadli or Son up front oh enlightened one.

Doubt it.

I don't think we can play Chadli or Son there for sustained period (and i don't think Lamela can play there at all to be honest). It's all well and good Chadli saying he likes playing there but he also said he doesn't have much experience playing there. Regarding Son...he played centrally for Hamburg quite a bit but i don't think it was as a lone striker (if i remember correctly it was just off another striker).

Playing as a lone striker is ridiculously difficult in this league (hell even a lot of strikers find it hard playing that role). From what i've seen i think Son has the best chance being a success there but i'd rather we brought in a striker.

giphy.gif

Doubt it.

I don't think we can play Chadli or Son there for sustained period (and i don't think Lamela can play there at all to be honest). It's all well and good Chadli saying he likes playing there but he also said he doesn't have much experience playing there. Regarding Son...he played centrally for Hamburg quite a bit but i don't think it was as a lone striker (if i remember correctly it was just off another striker).

Playing as a lone striker is ridiculously difficult in this league (hell even a lot of strikers find it hard playing that role). From what i've seen i think Son has the best chance being a success there but i'd rather we brought in a striker.

Then we will need to agree to disagree.

Juande Ramos had one of the most lethal strike partnerships in the PL. Berbatov and Keane. Levy then proceeded to strip him of not one, but both in the same window. Taking the Berba deal to the final seconds and giving the fans the booby prize of Frazer Campbell. Charming. Ramos had his pants pulled down in the headlights. This seems a rather strange episode to use in your unfathomable need to support Daniel Levy
Yeah Levy really wanted to sell Berbatov and Keane .
We should never have had Keane back.
Berbatov was a cunt and Keane felt more loyalty to his boyhood club than leaving us striker less.
If you think Levy stripped him of both players by design, for money, then your a mug.
It's a bit like the Berahino thing with Berbatov except that Berbatov would have definitely not played again for us if he would not have gone to Man U. I suppose Levy is a cunt for trying to keep him to his contract, slap a massive price tag on him. If we were Man U then Berahino would have probably been here on deadline day because we would have paid them £35m.
That seems a rather strange way to look at it in your unfathomable hate for Levy.

Anyway, Frazeer Campbell was supposedly Man U's next best thing according to Ferguson, and we got him on loan.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Pages and pages of arguments as to whether we need a new striker or not
I am firmly of the opinion we do.
However it clearly is not going to happen and we may still be arguing over this on 31st August.
It is the Scouts job (not us) to submit suggestions to the Manager to agree.
It is then up to Levy to bring in one of the players approved by the Manager.
We have £12m from sale of Townsend and saved £70,000pw on Adebayor's salary say £1.5m to end of June when most contracts expire.
Njie is injured and we are still in 3 tournaments and need as many options as possible.
Fulham's Dembele may or may not hit the ground running. If he does, like Alli then great but if not we will at least have made a start in settling him in for next season.
Kane has played a lot of matches and even when he is rested has come on as sub. If he gets injured we are in trouble. If he stays fit we will need him for the more difficult cup matches or we will be out. On top of that he will play in the World Cup in the summer and after a late holiday come back far from ready for the new season. Surely it is better to have someone signed now ready to fill that gap rather than have another poor start to the season.
Some will agree with me and others disagree.
The fact is despite the media trying to make it sound as if something is happening it clearly is not.
Lets move on and pray Kane stays fit.

Pages and pages of this stuff AGAIN about whether Spurs are messing up by not buying a top notch ready to go striker as Kane back up.
What about our competitors?
Woolwich- what if Giroud gets injured? Walcott?
City- what if Aguero gets injured? Bony?
Utd don't even have an in form key front man to worry about getting injuries. All these clubs andLeicester have a variety of relatively versatile forwards to use if necessary. Are we REALLY in a weaker position with Chadli Son Lamela Erikson and Alli as attacking force aside from Kane?

Actually, don't answer that. It's a rhetorical question and I don't want to feel obliged to respond.
Young people in England have 'lowest literacy levels' in developed world says OECD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom