January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
One who kept coming up in the summer was Volland. From what I've heard and the pieces I've seen, we should push the boat out for him. Does someone follow German football close enough to have an informed opinion. Going 5 goals in 11 for a team making chavs look good, seems to suggest he's upping his game further? Is he in line for a bigger move than us if Hoffenheim do sell? And - I forget - is he a striker who can play on the wing or the other way around?

Nah I think I'll let the scouting team do that mate

Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. You asked for something knowing it wasn't actually readily available and wet the bed when asked your opinion on who your world class player is.

Bed wetter.

Edit: Don't say it's not your job, it's our scouts. Our scouts job is to find players with the potential to be world class. If our manager doesn't know about an already world class player in the world he needs to sack.

"how about Messi Poch?" "who?"

Last edited:
I agree with everyone that a striker should be our main target, I think we are covered everywhere else. Only sign for another position if they are able to add something valuable to the team.

Ayoze Perez - I think Perez is a really good striker. He has no fear and has brilliant movement. Can't imagine Newcastle will allow him to go cheaply, but he says he wants to be in the Spain squad. Poch would be the perfect manager to bring the best out of him.

Michy Batshuayi - Obviously linked with him before. Massive talent, wouldn't be cheap.. Plus I'm not sure if he'd accept being back up to Kane.

Saido Berahino - Levy vs Peace round 2. Personally I wouldn't want him. I think he's a spoilt brat who think he's better than he is. Looks like he could cause a few issues if he doesn't get his way.. Obviously if Poch signed him then I'd support him nevertheless.

Charlie Austin - Granted he said he won't leave till the summer but it'd be the only chance QPR have to cash in on him. Would give him a perfect opportunity to show how good he is, get in the England squad and he can lead the line on his Jack Jones.

1 trillion yeses to Volland, he's a fantastic talent, can play wide and up front in equal ability, although he is naturally a striker, will flourish when coming in for Kane, was calling out for him all summer

It's not as easy as just saying "let's sign a striker that can make Kane work for his place" though. There aren't many good striker options out there, especially not ones who will feel they want to come to us and have to fight for a place. They type of player you are talking about is already first place at their club, and there is a very real chance they could struggle for game time by coming to us.

Realistically, there is maybe what, 20 strikers in the world right now who would guarantee a start ahead of Kane. Of those 20, 20 are already on shockingly high wages. As for players ready to come in and give him competition, I can't think of any. Is Saido Berahino the player to give Kane competition? I doubt it. He can't even give Solomon Rondon adequate competition.

If you can name us a player who can give Kane competition, won't demand extravagant wages, whose club won't mind losing him and who won't be a little primadonna if they can't get a game over Kane then that is who we should go for. But that target doesn't exist, which is why Totti's point about us needing to go for someone, who just like N'Jie, isn't quite there yet is our only possible option. It's that or we go for some who's currently not terrible, but will never be half the player Kane is.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but I thought Berahino's miss against ManUre was shocking as he appeared to bottle the header when no-one was near him.

Pulis was well pissed!

Convinced me that we don't need this whiney little cunt near our team so maybe Levy was right not to sign him

:levystare:

Baz, I really don't see your problem with our fullbacks but unless you can suggest two real options to replace Walker and trippier you should lay off of them. They're easily the two best full backs we can hope for right now and I don't see many better options than them right now.

My big issue with the whole "We need to get a forward with pace who can play up top" is what we went with when we signed Son and N'Jie. And now all anyone can say is "They're not a striker."

They are strikers in the sense they are wingers but not target men like Harry

Baz, I really don't see your problem with our fullbacks but unless you can suggest two real options to replace Walker and trippier you should lay off of them. They're easily the two best full backs we can hope for right now and I don't see many better options than them right now.

I was pleased with Walker's performance against Woolwich and hope he can kick on from there as he played well and was dominant in the air.

But sorry Jock I don't rate Trippier at all so far!

Pretty much. But I'm sick of being called a twat for saying N'Jie is a forward, albeit a very different type of forward from Kane, even though that's what he is. It's very difficult to argue that either N'Jie or Son are "wingers" because they both rarely get to the byline and they both have pretty meager crossing ability compared to their shooting ability.

But wingers don't get to the byline now and more's the pity!

Lennon was good when he did that but all too often he kept cutting inside into traffic with no end result like a lot nowadays

I like what little we've seen from N'Jie so far, but I too like Austin. He seems to check a lot of the boxes for the kind of player, we're looking for. But it seems a moot point. With the circumstances as they were, you would have to think that we'd have signed him in the summer if he was someone that Poch and Mitchell wanted. Cannot see us going in for him. I can only see his knees or his lack of mobility/versatility being the reason.
Sadly I think you are right. He was dangling right in front of us all summer and never looked like we even gave Austin a thought. I don't dislike N'Jie he clearly is a talented young player but we really have left ourselves short of options behind Kane. I think that is made very clear by the fact aside from 2 matches he has started every game even when clear he could do with a rest.

One of those matches Sonny played pretty well albeit against a weak Qarabag team, the other was N'Jie against Anderlecht which was a complete disaster. We have been extremely lucky Kane has avoided any knocks and I don't want to tempt fate we need cover in January everything else takes a back seat. Even the most durable of players miss a few games a season with minor knocks. We cannot afford to go into the business end of the season playing deep into cups or challenging at the top of table to be forced to start Clinton, Chadli or Son or whomever if KAne can't go.

Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Moussa Dembele from Fulham, according to the Evening Standard.

Having previously signed his near namesake, Mousa Dembele, from the same club back in 2012, Spurs are said to be looking into the possibility of adding the young Dembele and his additional ‘s’ to their squad.

In a move that would put a Two Mous(s)a Dembeles chant on a plate for the White Hart Lane faithful, the Cottagers striker is linked with a move from west London to north London.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly an admirer of the 19-year-old forward.

He has caught the eye with eight goals in his 18 appearances so far this season, including an impressive recent run of five goals in his last five games.

The France Under-20 international is out of contract at Craven Cottage at the end of the current season and is tipped to leave the Championship strugglers.

Fulham would be entitled to compensation, but could decided to cash-in during the January transfer window in order to maximise the fee they receive.

Feyenoord and Everton are also said to be monitoring Dembele’s situation.
:dembelewtf:

Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Moussa Dembele from Fulham, according to the Evening Standard.

Having previously signed his near namesake, Mousa Dembele, from the same club back in 2012, Spurs are said to be looking into the possibility of adding the young Dembele and his additional ‘s’ to their squad.

In a move that would put a Two Mous(s)a Dembeles chant on a plate for the White Hart Lane faithful, the Cottagers striker is linked with a move from west London to north London.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly an admirer of the 19-year-old forward.

He has caught the eye with eight goals in his 18 appearances so far this season, including an impressive recent run of five goals in his last five games.

The France Under-20 international is out of contract at Craven Cottage at the end of the current season and is tipped to leave the Championship strugglers.

Fulham would be entitled to compensation, but could decided to cash-in during the January transfer window in order to maximise the fee they receive.

Gibbs won't be able to handle it :dembele:

For like a month I thought it was a glitch in my football scores app every time I saw him on score sheet for Fulham. I was convinced it was another player with his number until a few weeks ago I actually looked it up on Fulham site. :dembelefingers:

I'm not sold on Berahino... I just can't see him playing up front on his own for a top-6 team such as our own. Same goes for Breel Embolo who I doubt many people have seen regularly.

Batshuayi is a good player but I'm not sure he would come here and not start every time.

Charlie Austin or Kevin Volland are both good shouts.

But the big problem being that literally any player we bring in may take just as long as them to acclimatize. And then what do we do? Bring in another player because they are struggling, and continue that trend until we have to get N'Jie off the books since he was first in?
I agree Jock, but I suspect it (do we, don't we add a striker in January) could turn out to be a prime example of 'sod's law'.
This is why I favour Charlie Austin...somebody who could hit the ground running but is not necessarily going to undermine the futures of our new additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom