January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a bit of a cop out to me. You asked for something knowing it wasn't actually readily available and wet the bed when asked your opinion on who your world class player is.

Bed wetter.

Edit: Don't say it's not your job, it's our scouts. Our scouts job is to find players with the potential to be world class. If our manager doesn't know about an already world class player in the world he needs to sack.

"how about Messi Poch?" "who?"
I can comment on what positions I need strengthened. I don't pretend to be an expert, nor have I claimed to be.

Edit: like many here claim to be

I really wanted us to land Berahino on the summer - but not anymore. The £25mil asking price is WAY too much, and the manner In which he has behaved at West Brom in the last six or so months says a lot about his character. Do not want him at Spurs.

Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Moussa Dembele from Fulham, according to the Evening Standard.

Having previously signed his near namesake, Mousa Dembele, from the same club back in 2012, Spurs are said to be looking into the possibility of adding the young Dembele and his additional ‘s’ to their squad.

In a move that would put a Two Mous(s)a Dembeles chant on a plate for the White Hart Lane faithful, the Cottagers striker is linked with a move from west London to north London.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino is reportedly an admirer of the 19-year-old forward.

He has caught the eye with eight goals in his 18 appearances so far this season, including an impressive recent run of five goals in his last five games.

The France Under-20 international is out of contract at Craven Cottage at the end of the current season and is tipped to leave the Championship strugglers.

Fulham would be entitled to compensation, but could decided to cash-in during the January transfer window in order to maximise the fee they receive.

Feyenoord and Everton are also said to be monitoring Dembele’s situation.
:dembelewtf:
Mousa and Moussa

siteowner_characters1.png

I can comment on what positions I need strengthened. I don't pretend to be an expert, nor have I claimed to be.

Edit: like many here claim to be

You don't need to be an expert to name a world class player who we would be able to sign.

But to make it easy for you I'll post a list of them below.

Now pick one of the 0 names I have mentioned.

You don't need to be an expert to name a world class player who we would be able to sign.

But to make it easy for you I'll post a list of them below.

Now pick one of the 0 names I have mentioned.

Well, _______ does sound tempting, however, his work rate probably won't suit Poch' system.

Perhaps ______ could do a job. Good shot and work rate, but he loses his head sometimes.

I don't think it's realistic that we could sign _________ , so I don't know what he's doing on your list.

My favourite would be ___________ . Do you remember his goal against ______ at the World Cup?

Sadly I think you are right. He was dangling right in front of us all summer and never looked like we even gave Austin a thought. I don't dislike N'Jie he clearly is a talented young player but we really have left ourselves short of options behind Kane. I think that is made very clear by the fact aside from 2 matches he has started every game even when clear he could do with a rest.

One of those matches Sonny played pretty well albeit against a weak Qarabag team, the other was N'Jie against Anderlecht which was a complete disaster. We have been extremely lucky Kane has avoided any knocks and I don't want to tempt fate we need cover in January everything else takes a back seat. Even the most durable of players miss a few games a season with minor knocks. We cannot afford to go into the business end of the season playing deep into cups or challenging at the top of table to be forced to start Clinton, Chadli or Son or whomever if KAne can't go.
We likely will though, since Pochettino clearly did mean for them to be played either wide, or "up top". Given the way our front line plays, at some point, I think we should expect that we'll see a combination of N'Jie and Son instead of Kane. Probably on days when playing deeper and counter-attacking would be more effective than a constant press.

We likely will though, since Pochettino clearly did mean for them to be played either wide, or "up top". Given the way our front line plays, at some point, I think we should expect that we'll see a combination of N'Jie and Son instead of Kane. Probably on days when playing deeper and counter-attacking would be more effective than a constant press.
I suspect we will see it, just don't think it will work well personally. Also the fact we were in for Berahino and Poch clearly stating several times we were looking to bring in another striker after we bought Son and N'Jie tells me that he maybe didn't want to see those two played up top.

I suspect we will see it, just don't think it will work well personally. Also the fact we were in for Berahino and Poch clearly stating several times we were looking to bring in another striker after we bought Son and N'Jie tells me that he maybe didn't want to see those two played up top.

Not necessarily. It tells me - or I should say, makes to guess based on what we've seen of the two so far - that Poch saw Kane and Son as both being part of the preferred 11 (which doesn't mean, that Poch is against Son playing up top if and when Kane isn't there), and that he felt N'Jie needed time to settle.

Not necessarily. It tells me - or I should say, makes to guess based on what we've seen of the two so far - that Poch saw Kane and Son as both being part of the preferred 11 (which doesn't mean, that Poch is against Son playing up top if and when Kane isn't there), and that he felt N'Jie needed time to settle.
Yes I agree with what you have said really it is just guesswork and I imagine he did see Son as playing centrally at times. However, pretty clear that he at least wanted another option as he said as much. I do think we will go in for another striker in January whether we get one is another story.

I think he wanted another likely because N'Jie still is not the finished product, and for rotation reasons, but we clearly did want another forward. It will be interesting to see if one arrives, and who it is.

With regards to your lamela statement, I doubt he will move back to Italy. He has been there and done that, he has nothing left to prove. The way he speaks about spurs he seems so passionate and happy to be here and he is finally playing well and showing what he can do. I don't see us letting his go for a penny less than he came in for.
Well his Dad (agent) did say last January and this Summer that Italy suits his style better and he wants to go back to Italy. The only difference in the statements was last January Jose Lamela said Spurs had no intention of letting him go.
In discussions with Inter over the summer. Quote: "We are in talks with Inter, so we’re discussing it. We would like a return to Italy."
That's why I admire him for his attitude and his total commitment even though that move never materialised.
I would hate to see him go as I have always thought he has a lot to offer - if we gave him a chance to settle. learn the language etc - is young and has massive potential.

Well his Dad (agent) did say last January and this Summer that Italy suits his style better and he wants to go back to Italy. The only difference in the statements was last January Jose Lamela said Spurs had no intention of letting him go.
In discussions with Inter over the summer. Quote: "We are in talks with Inter, so we’re discussing it. We would like a return to Italy."
That's why I admire him for his attitude and his total commitment even though that move never materialised.
I would hate to see him go as I have always thought he has a lot to offer - if we gave him a chance to settle. learn the language etc - is young and has massive potential.

The big thing now is he is playing well. If you played two seasons at a club where the majority of fans refused to give you the time and space to settle because of your price tag I'm sure you would also want to move back to a country that did well. It's like being good at riding mountain bikes, then deciding to ride road bikes. Only thing is to start with it's tricky, and you think you should go back to road bikes. As someone rightly said if you're walking through hell, just keep walking. Erik has done that and now has fans backing him. Plenty of those fans being people who couldn't wait to see him leave just three months ago.

Why would you leave somewhere when you're just finding your feet? That's admitting defeat. And if there is one thing that Erik Lamela has never ever done in a Lily White shirt, it's shy away from a challenge and admit defeat. This is why I don't personally see him leaving without a fantastic offer coming in for him.

It would be silly to let him go now that he's finally beginning to look like a player.
It would have been silly to let him go when he wasn't.
Even when he was supposedly shite he was making tackles and killer passes. He was making great runs, more often than not into scoring positions, and wasn't getting the pass.
The understanding between him and the team is beginning to emerge now he has had an extended run, to the annoyance of many who claimed he was Poch's lovechild.
I just wish he could improve the use of his right foot. I have no doubt that is what's happening in training because I have noticed it gently creeping into his game and clocked his reaction when he set up Kane with a first time right footed pass.
He still has time on his side.

The big thing now is he is playing well. If you played two seasons at a club where the majority of fans refused to give you the time and space to settle because of your price tag I'm sure you would also want to move back to a country that did well. It's like being good at riding mountain bikes, then deciding to ride road bikes. Only thing is to start with it's tricky, and you think you should go back to road bikes. As someone rightly said if you're walking through hell, just keep walking. Erik has done that and now has fans backing him. Plenty of those fans being people who couldn't wait to see him leave just three months ago.

Why would you leave somewhere when you're just finding your feet? That's admitting defeat. And if there is one thing that Erik Lamela has never ever done in a Lily White shirt, it's shy away from a challenge and admit defeat. This is why I don't personally see him leaving without a fantastic offer coming in for him.
Leaving in the summer would have been admitting defeat though. I know what your saying though, and we are on the same page really.
The season will be influential in his decision.
I don't want him to leave, never have done. Changed his game completely for the team. He has improved dramatically in the physical side now and looks like he's revelling in it.
I sincerely hope he stays and becomes massive for us.

It would have been silly to let him go when he wasn't.
Even when he was supposedly shite he was making tackles and killer passes. He was making great runs, more often than not into scoring positions, and wasn't getting the pass.
The understanding between him and the team is beginning to emerge now he has had an extended run, to the annoyance of many who claimed he was Poch's lovechild.
I just wish he could improve the use of his right foot. I have no doubt that is what's happening in training because I have noticed it gently creeping into his game and clocked his reaction when he set up Kane with a first time right footed pass.
He still has time on his side.
Oh l agree. I was only reiterating what Jock said. I've never been on the Lamela out bandwagon. I thought he looked injured when he came to us (before the club admitted it) I can find the post if l can be arsed, so I didn't count his first season. As well as the technical aspects of his game you mention, l love his attitude. Even when a player is going through a bad spell if he keeps trying he will get a pass.

As for the right foot, ha. I guess he's seen videos of Maradona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom