January 2016 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree if the player wants to go it becomes very difficult, and based on Levy's past record I can see why you'd be concerned, but surely even he can see that if he keeps selling our best players the decline we've seen in the past 5 years (up till recently) will continue?

It's not just about getting the stadium built - it's filling it when it's finished - and for that to happen we need a successful team. Obviously I haven't got a clue what's going to happen, but to break up this team would be madness.

Also Southampton sold to other PL clubs. I can't see Levy doing that.
Agreed. He won't. Also, I think it bears noting that Levy never sold a star player who wasn't first demanding an exit. He's sold when he can't keep them, but never pre-emptively sold a star player purely to cash in on them.

Haven't read much of the thread, travelling South America (Blatant)...

Personally I would move on Townsend and Fazio in the window. Look to sign a striker and a Fazio replacement only. I think Pritchard can fill Townsends gap in the squad, he has barely offered anything this season anyway.

In January I'd make firm bids for Perez or Berahino (although I still stand by my opinion that he's not as good as what people think he is)

We'd then have Kane for the Premier League with one of the above as back up or to partner, and one of the above for Europa League so we can make a real push for it. Imagine finishing top 4 and winning the Europa League!!!

Fuck.. I just got an erection thinking about it.. :dierno:

In January I'd make firm bids for Perez or Berahino (although I still stand by my opinion that he's not as good as what people think he is)

We'd then have Kane for the Premier League with one of the above as back up or to partner, and one of the above for Europa League so we can make a real push for it. Imagine finishing top 4 and winning the Europa League!!!

Fuck.. I just got an erection thinking about it.. :dierno:
I think I'd rather Timo Werner or Breel Embolo, personally. But the more I think about it, if Son and N'Jie start having their shots go in as much as they should (their conversion rates right now are insanely low), then we really might not need another forward. And when Chadli's back, he can join in as a similar striker substitute as well.

I think I'd rather Timo Werner or Breel Embolo, personally. But the more I think about it, if Son and N'Jie start having their shots go in as much as they should (their conversion rates right now are insanely low), then we really might not need another forward. And when Chadli's back, he can join in as a similar striker substitute as well.
I know what you mean, but it doesn't seem like either of those three would be able to replicate the all-round play Kane brings to the team - ideally, I'd want them to bring in someone young who could play that way.

Though, if our main targets are players like Werner and Berahino, it doesn't look like there is anyone quite like Kane out there to buy.

Edit: I'd quite like it if we do have a target nobody has talked about, and we make a move fast/out of the blue. In fairness, we were apparently chasing Son for quite a while before we got him, but the media only seemed to pick up on it riiiiiight at the end.

shame we didnt take a punt on deulofeu.
looks a handful. only cost 4m.
bargin.
Allegedly dumb as bricks, hence why Barcelona wanted rid of him.

You both realize that Deulofeu is going to be bought back by Barcelona? He has a clause that means he can be bought back by Barca for just 6.3m.

He's one of the most highly touted young players in Europe. We'd be looking at around the money we spent for Lamela if we wanted to go in for him when he goes back to Barca (as good as he is, he's not going to start over Suarez or Neymar)

You both realize that Deulofeu is going to be bought back by Barcelona? He has a clause that means he can be bought back by Barca for just 6.3m.

He's one of the most highly touted young players in Europe. We'd be looking at around the money we spent for Lamela if we wanted to go in for him when he goes back to Barca (as good as he is, he's not going to start over Suarez or Neymar)
he will not be bought back & then sold for 30m.
he aint that good.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, but it doesn't seem like either of those three would be able to replicate the all-round play Kane brings to the team - ideally, I'd want them to bring in someone young who could play that way.

Though, if our main targets are players like Werner and Berahino, it doesn't look like there is anyone quite like Kane out there to buy.

Edit: I'd quite like it if we do have a target nobody has talked about, and we make a move fast/out of the blue. In fairness, we were apparently chasing Son for quite a while before we got him, but the media only seemed to pick up on it riiiiiight at the end.
I think Pochettino's ideal forwards are much more in the Son/Aubameyang vein than classical centre forwards. He loves Harry because although he looks like a classic 9, he doesn't actually play like one. He can do all of that stuff, but also drops deep, acts as a playmaker when needed and defends like a CM. You just can't expect to find one of those readily available.

If he was as good as the hype, he would have been retained, like certain other players have been. He's got skills, but isn't considered good enough for Barcelona, and went for such a low fee because no other takers were out there. If he was as good as some say he is, then he'd have carried a price commensurate to that. They discounted him and insisted on a buyback because they're fucked over the transfer ban and carrying the mental block from letting Fabregas go so easily the first time.

WBA sporting director has just announced there will need to be sales before Pulis can spend. I think Berahino will leave, and Peace will have eat some humble pie to go with it. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he is talented and if anyone could bring the best out of him then it's Poch.

WBA sporting director has just announced there will need to be sales before Pulis can spend. I think Berahino will leave, and Peace will have eat some humble pie to go with it. He wouldn't be my first choice, but he is talented and if anyone could bring the best out of him then it's Poch.
Probably. If he were bought for fair value (8-12 million, I guess) then it would a decent idea. But at 25 million, I'm really happy we didn't buy him. That'd have been more than we paid for Son, who's got a much longer history of high performance, and a proven history of playing in a similar pressing system.

Probably. If he were bought for fair value (8-12 million, I guess) then it would a decent idea. But at 25 million, I'm really happy we didn't buy him. That'd have been more than we paid for Son, who's got a much longer history of high performance, and a proven history of playing in a similar pressing system.

Maybe although I think Berahino would be far more suited to covering Kane than Son. I like Son but he doesn't seem like the type of guy you could throw up front.

We need a striker in Jan.

Maybe although I think Berahino would be far more suited to covering Kane than Son. I like Son but he doesn't seem like the type of guy you could throw up front.

We need a striker in Jan.
Son has played up front though, in Germany and at times for us. I think we're confusing ability to with "preferred/ideal role". Although Pochettino's been pretty keen to stress that no one's actually up front in his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom