January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All last season and despite our overall quality we needed additional firepower and a bit more creativity.
It was ridiculously apparent if you look beyond good form and momentum.

This season again and for whatever reason we went into it with just 2 strikers. I repeat it is not enough. Sure Kane is outstanding and I think Janssen will come good (just a gut feeling) but we still lack bite, pace and someone who is just different up top or who can play with either.

We bought Sissoko which seemed a decent buy but he has done zilch so far and yet we neglected to buy a bit more central midfield creativity, even if you accept the arrival of Winks.

Mostly though we just look as though we have stood still a bit whilst 2/3 other teams have gotten better.

Absolutely no fear Pochettino won't get it right BUT it might mean him doing a Ferguson and selling one of our better players to make his point and jolt others into consistently high performance.

Important next few games for us.

All last season and despite our overall quality we needed additional firepower and a bit more creativity.
It was ridiculously apparent if you look beyond good form and momentum.

This season again and for whatever reason we went into it with just 2 strikers. I repeat it is not enough. Sure Kane is outstanding and I think Janssen will come good (just a gut feeling) but we still lack bite, pace and someone who is just different up top or who can play with either.

We bought Sissoko which seemed a decent buy but he has done zilch so far and yet we neglected to buy a bit more central midfield creativity, even if you accept the arrival of Winks.

Mostly though we just look as though we have stood still a bit whilst 2/3 other teams have gotten better.

Absolutely no fear Pochettino won't get it right BUT it might mean him doing a Ferguson and selling one of our better players to make his point and jolt others into consistently high performance.

Important next few games for us.

We are always going to stand still until we compete with those above and around us I'm terms of wages.

No one is going to want to come to Spurs when they could just to to city, Chelsea or even Woolwich and earn ridiculous wages for being on the bench.

We are a club that's always going to have to try and turn talent into something special, hope to break even and punch above our weight. We will get to where we want to be but it'll take a while. Probably a few years into the new stadium at the earliest.

We are always going to stand still until we compete with those above and around us I'm terms of wages.

No one is going to want to come to Spurs when they could just to to city, Chelsea or even Woolwich and earn ridiculous wages for being on the bench.

We are a club that's always going to have to try and turn talent into something special, hope to break even and punch above our weight. We will get to where we want to be but it'll take a while. Probably a few years into the new stadium at the earliest.
My worry with that slow burn and there's nothing wrong with a slow burn, however we have a defence I don't think many of us have seen this miserly. Would be a shame to waste that and only start to realise our potential once Jan, Toby and even Walker/Rose are over the hill.

We need an uplift. Everything is stagnant and a quality experienced signing may add
verve to a very lacklustre team. Not another prospect , but an Isco type .
He's worth what Janssen and Sissoko combined . His wages would be OK, if not already by combining both.
Our wage structure is archaic. Less is more as we have a foundation of a good team.
Poch has worked a miracle so far and we ain't going to get anyone better.
We all know nothing will change.

Don't agree.

We have a lot of talent in our squad and have spent sums of money that may not be at the highest end but are enough to have bought us the requisite quality.

I think part of it is as you describe but it's also about buying the right blend of players and I think that is where we haven't quite got the mix as it should be.

Not easy and we are restricted by the spending power of 3/4 clubs but we can compete.

Lamela back would be nice. Hopefully Sissoko's performance yesterday when he came on was a glimmer of whats to come from him. He actually done alright.

Defoe or someone with his pace and clinical finishing in January would sort out our 'Plan B' worries. There really is not much wrong with us i don't think, except we lack pace up front when a ball is played long.

We need an uplift. Everything is stagnant and a quality experienced signing may add
verve to a very lacklustre team. Not another prospect , but an Isco type .
He's worth what Janssen and Sissoko combined . His wages would be OK, if not already by combining both.
Our wage structure is archaic. Less is more as we have a foundation of a good team.
Poch has worked a miracle so far and we ain't going to get anyone better.
We all know nothing will change.
We could probably afford his wages. Real pay their top players (Ronaldo, Bale etc) a lot of money, but players like Isco and Pepe are on 60k /week. Should keep in mind all the tax fraud though so net they're doing pretty well

how about shaquiri? he's openly said that stoke is just a stepping stone and he's proven at the highest level, pacy and direct and isn't shy to let them fly. pretty much exactly what we're missing

This is where our style and Pochs philosophy could potentially hurt us. There are tons of talent out there but if they don't run about and put a shift in, they're deemed not good enough.

James Rodriguez for example. Don't think I've seen Payet run much yet he'd be a welcome addition to our squad.

We desperately need another creative ball player whether that be in midfield or a winger type. Eriksen apart from the last few weeks has been off form and with Lamela injured the result is we have created next to nothing from open play. I would suspect the usual names will come up in transfer talks (Yunus Malli, Zaha, Julian Brandt, Isco) and we will end up with nothing

Zaha and Son.....same same in my opinion. We upgraded on Townsend but have to wait and see if Nkoudou will be an upgrade on Chadli.

I would'nt go mad this window, panic buying is shite and you end up with deadwood in the summer.

We've bought players for big money and its time to get them firing. An absolute out and out goalscorer, or a powerhouse AM who pop up for sale, top 4 quality, for peanuts...then yeah, sign them.....good luck there tho

Back
Top Bottom