January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i would try get oscar

For 60 million?

Black-Guy-Really-GIF.gif

How about we shop at some of the clubs who finished last in their CL groups? They don't have a lot left to play for this season and might be willing to give up their top talent more easily than others. The clubs are:
  • FC Basel
  • Dynamo Kiev
  • Celtic
  • PSV Eindhoven
  • CSKA Moscow
  • Sporting Lisbon
  • Club Brugge
  • Dinamo Zagreb
I honestly don't know a lot about these clubs or who their good players are or might be currently, but, I figure it's worth a shot. Anybody know any players that might be worth looking at from these clubs?

Its the final third that is the issue; another striker who can put the ball in the net to play with/instead of Kane is necessary. The 3 obvious candidates are Berahino, Defoe and Sturridge; proven within the league so no Soldado/Janssen-esque incompatibility.

Sturridge is a moron, but he's immense on his day. Given Klopp doesn't really rate him he'd probably be a available for £20m. Berahino has linked well with Kane at u21 level and is also gonna be available for a lot less than what WBA wanted 18 months ago. Loaning Janssen there for the rest of the season would be a sweetener in the deal, and also beneficial with regards to assessing whether he's likely to come good in England.

The hardest one to get a grip of would be Defoe; the money they could realistically command in a transfer fee is a mere fraction of what PL survival is worth to them, and he's the player most likely to facilitate that.

Mkhitaryan's first few months at United suggested he might be available, and he'd have been an upgrade on Eriksen; more direct, more decisive, and ultimately more productive, but the recent resurrection of his United career has made it a non-starter. I think Chelsea have proven that Eriksen/Oscar types aren't fundamental anymore; Lamela, Alli and to a lesser extent Son are direct and dangerous enough to make the system work, but another, upgraded option to fill 1 of the 3 roles behind Kane is necessary

Raheem Sterling doesn't suit Pep's moronic over elaborate ideology, misses London and might be available in the next couple of windows, given City have stockpiled young forwards in Gabriel Jesus and Sane. I reckon he'd thrive under Pocchettino and the more Anglo-accommodating environment he's created; City is effectively a Spanish club, and like Inter Milan, where Italian players, even greats like Pirlo and Cannavaro, perpetually fail to settle due to the overly-cosmopolitan environment, English players find it hard to succeed there. Patrick Roberts is another one to keep tabs on in the same situation.

Apparently the rumours of a Manchester derby for Danny Rose are very true to the point of pending bids; if it is the case and he shows a desire to move north again, Luke Shaw is the ideal replacement. His confidence is wrecked at the minute, as he hasn't dealt well with Mourinho's intense, cynical scrutiny; while Rose is easily the best leftback in England at the minute, Shaw's peak potential is even greater, and working with Pocchettino again would get him back on track. He's been seeing a bird my pal knows for a while, and he's apparently massively homesick as well.

I'm all about this idea- why not is a better question.
Tears a bit at my heartstrings, but no, and I'm kind of glad to see how bad Sunderland need him so late on in his career. Must feel great for him, other than the relegation battle part...
Sturridge
No way Liverpool would ever sell him to us. Probably will never sell to us again.
Mkhitaryan's first few months at United suggested he might be available
Quite frankly, this suggestion is ludicrous! Utd will likely never sell to us again.
Raheem Sterling
Refer to above. City will most likely never sell to us again.
Danny Rose
Levy would never sell him in the middle of the season, but I'm sure he'd take a 30 million profit on Rose come summer.
Luke Shaw is the ideal replacement
Even if they gave up on Shaw, which I doubt they have, they'd still never sell him to us.

we could have picked up Charlie Austin last January for around for around £10m inc wages if it didn't work we would have got our money back in the summer, yet we didn't bring a striker in and lost that chance of winning the league, do you really think we can get a striker that knows the league and so could play straight away, can't see it myself

Looks like nothing is happening in January

Difficult to compete with Premier League big boys - Pochettino

"For us, it is very difficult to sign players like our opponents," Pochettino said ahead of Wednesday's game against Hull City.

"When you compare Tottenham with Liverpool, Chelsea, [Manchester] City, [Manchester] United and Woolwich, in this moment it is very difficult to compete with them.

"The challenge is to be clever and to take risks -- and as we know, when you take risks in football, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose."

Pochettino, though, expects Tottenham to challenge the elite once their new stadium is complete ahead of the 2018-19 campaign.

He added: "It's not about money, it's how you invest the money. Now the market is crazy. You can see how the value of players has increased. It's true you need to be clever. You need to be imaginative and creative. And try to fight for good players at a very good price.

"When you're building a stadium like we're building you are not only focused to improve the team. You need to be focused on improving the team but at the same time you're spending money to create a massive stadium which will be one of the best stadiums in Europe. We needed that.

"With the new stadium, Tottenham will be one of the best teams in the world, for sure. But now we need to be creative and sometimes take a risk and when you take a risk sometimes you win and sometimes you don't."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom