January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We missed out last season when we were after Dembele from Fulham. Fulham wanted to keep him until the Summer but Levy would not agree. That decision now looks like we missed a big opportunity.

If there was any truth in what appears in the back pages of newspapers half our team would currently be at either Man Utd or Real Madrid.
Half? I make it every single player over the last 12 months

Lloris - Manure/PSG/Madrid
Walker - Manure
Rose - Chelsea/Manure/Citeh
Vertonghen - "Contract issues"
Dier - Chavs/Munich
Son - Wolfsburg
Kane - Manure/Madrid
Alli - PSG/Madrid
Lamela - Millan/Inter
Eriksen - Juve/Inter/PSG
Wimmer - Southampton/Monchengladbach
Davies - Chelsea/Palace/Swansea
Carter-Vickers - Woolwich
Carroll - Swansea
Tripier - Southampton/Villa
Onomah - Chavs/Bin Dippers
Edwards - Citeh/Chavs

Poch - Madrid/PSG/Barca/Manure
McDermott - Manure

Why people still pay any attention to these links are totally beyond me.

Didn't Jason Cunty go the other way?

Can't be arsed to check but I remember him scoring for us from halfway
Against Ipswich I think

Yes please. Top player who can pass the ball, links play, has creativity and can tackle and score goals, no disrespect to everton, he would improve playing with a much higher calibre squad. Not sure about the price tag but I guess that's the market rate.

I'd take him

Give them £25 million plus Tom Carroll

He wd bring a bit of bite and urgency

Big mate of Kyle Walker I hear

Does being free prevent you from signing? It's not like he was released.

If he doesn't count, then I'd probably say Poyet

Seems they let him leave as he was promised more playing time and out of his 9 years of loyal service to them. He was never going to be an important addition to our squad and as such proved to be another squad keeper. Good shout on Poyet, was he a free/out of contract job as well?

Chelsea have reluctantly sanctioned Carlo Cudicini's free-transfer move across London to their bitter rivals Tottenham as a reward for the Italian's nine years of service, with Luiz Felipe Scolari left to consider recruiting a new goalkeeper to act as back-up for Petr Cech.

Cudicini signed an 18-month contract at White Hart Lane yesterday on the understanding he will play more games for Spurs than he has done in recent times at Stamford Bridge. The Italian has made 216 appearances for Chelsea since joining the club – initially on loan – in 1999, but has played only two league games this season having been consigned to second-choice since Cech's arrival in 2004. He will make his Spurs debut against Stoke tonight.

Chelsea had resisted the 35-year-old's departure when Tottenham's interest first became apparent, only for their stance to mellow when it became clear Cudicini had been promised regular football. "I am pleased for Carlo that with this move he will have more opportunities to play, as he is a fantastic goalkeeper," said Scolari.

Cudicini admitted he was intent on challenging Heurelho Gomes, whom Juande Ramos signed for £7.8m from PSV Eindhoven last summer, for the No1 jersey at Tottenham. "It will be fantastic to work with him and we'll try to push each other," he said. "I think it will be a fair competition and that is good for the team."

Scolari has been left with Henrique Hilário as his first-choice back-up goalkeeper, with the youngsters Rhys Taylor and Niclas Heimann also available, but has compiled a short-list of possible recruits, including the 32-year-old Milan player Marco Storari, and one could be brought in before the closure of the transfer window next week.

The Premier League challengers have more pressing concerns as they address Wednesday's visit of Middlesbrough to Stamford Bridge, with Ricardo Carvalho unlikely to be involved and rendered doubtful for Sunday's daunting trip to Liverpool with a hamstring injury sustained during Saturday's FA Cup fourth round victory against Ipswich. The Portuguese defender underwent a scan yesterday, the results of which are to be scrutinised today, and could leave Scolari to play Alex and Branislav Ivanovic against Boro as John Terry still struggles to overcome a back complaint.

John Mikel Obi, meanwhile, will be available for the visit of Middlesbrough despite being charged for alleged drink-driving on the Fulham Road at 5.30am on Saturday. Chelsea is seeking "to establish the full facts" relating to the incident before deciding whether to impose any internal sanction on the player.

Scolari last night loaned the young midfielder Lee Sawyer, 19, to Coventry City for a month. Another loanee, the Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro, has expressed a desire to make his temporary switch to Werder Bremen permanent in the summer. The Bremen director of sport, Klaus Allofs, has indicated that the Bundesliga club are also keen to reach agreement with the Londoners. "Claudio has told us that he wants to stay," he said. "We have to be patient but we would also like to keep Claudio here."

Not a fan of Barkley, he has the talent but overpriced as he's an English starlet and his decision making is poor.

If we're signing someone for 35 million I'd want the complete player and not a gamble on certain traits like we did with Sissoko. Who I'm hopeful will turn out good. But we need a sure fire player to improve us in January and I don't see that. I'm a massive fan of Zaha though if Levy has found 35 million down the back of his sofa.

Maybe my expectations have taken a proper kicking as the season has progressed but Sissoko hasn't looked as enragingly shite his last couple of appearances. Poch dropping him may have actually done something. Well fuck me, I didn't think that stuff like that worked anymore.

Seems they let him leave as he was promised more playing time and out of his 9 years of loyal service to them. He was never going to be an important addition to our squad and as such proved to be another squad keeper. Good shout on Poyet, was he a free/out of contract job as well?

Chelsea have reluctantly sanctioned Carlo Cudicini's free-transfer move across London to their bitter rivals Tottenham as a reward for the Italian's nine years of service, with Luiz Felipe Scolari left to consider recruiting a new goalkeeper to act as back-up for Petr Cech.

Cudicini signed an 18-month contract at White Hart Lane yesterday on the understanding he will play more games for Spurs than he has done in recent times at Stamford Bridge. The Italian has made 216 appearances for Chelsea since joining the club – initially on loan – in 1999, but has played only two league games this season having been consigned to second-choice since Cech's arrival in 2004. He will make his Spurs debut against Stoke tonight.

Chelsea had resisted the 35-year-old's departure when Tottenham's interest first became apparent, only for their stance to mellow when it became clear Cudicini had been promised regular football. "I am pleased for Carlo that with this move he will have more opportunities to play, as he is a fantastic goalkeeper," said Scolari.

Cudicini admitted he was intent on challenging Heurelho Gomes, whom Juande Ramos signed for £7.8m from PSV Eindhoven last summer, for the No1 jersey at Tottenham. "It will be fantastic to work with him and we'll try to push each other," he said. "I think it will be a fair competition and that is good for the team."

Scolari has been left with Henrique Hilário as his first-choice back-up goalkeeper, with the youngsters Rhys Taylor and Niclas Heimann also available, but has compiled a short-list of possible recruits, including the 32-year-old Milan player Marco Storari, and one could be brought in before the closure of the transfer window next week.

The Premier League challengers have more pressing concerns as they address Wednesday's visit of Middlesbrough to Stamford Bridge, with Ricardo Carvalho unlikely to be involved and rendered doubtful for Sunday's daunting trip to Liverpool with a hamstring injury sustained during Saturday's FA Cup fourth round victory against Ipswich. The Portuguese defender underwent a scan yesterday, the results of which are to be scrutinised today, and could leave Scolari to play Alex and Branislav Ivanovic against Boro as John Terry still struggles to overcome a back complaint.

John Mikel Obi, meanwhile, will be available for the visit of Middlesbrough despite being charged for alleged drink-driving on the Fulham Road at 5.30am on Saturday. Chelsea is seeking "to establish the full facts" relating to the incident before deciding whether to impose any internal sanction on the player.

Scolari last night loaned the young midfielder Lee Sawyer, 19, to Coventry City for a month. Another loanee, the Peruvian striker Claudio Pizarro, has expressed a desire to make his temporary switch to Werder Bremen permanent in the summer. The Bremen director of sport, Klaus Allofs, has indicated that the Bundesliga club are also keen to reach agreement with the Londoners. "Claudio has told us that he wants to stay," he said. "We have to be patient but we would also like to keep Claudio here."

Poyet cost us a few million.

Maybe my expectations have taken a proper kicking as the season has progressed but Sissoko hasn't looked as enragingly shite his last couple of appearances. Poch dropping him may have actually done something. Well fuck me, I didn't think that stuff like that worked anymore.

Maybe he shd try it with Alli

Barkley is in a bit of a rough patch, but would be a great addition to our squad (I absolutely love him). He has that ability to pull something out of nothing and I think Poch could do great work with him. I think he's Everton through and through though, unlikely to happen

Barkley is in a bit of a rough patch, but would be a great addition to our squad (I absolutely love him). He has that ability to pull something out of nothing and I think Poch could do great work with him. I think he's Everton through and through though, unlikely to happen

I don't see it happening. Koeman has said publicly he wants to make the squad younger and trim some of the older players, so why would he sell off their best young talent?

Not a fan of Barkley, he has the talent but overpriced as he's an English starlet and his decision making is poor.

If we're signing someone for 35 million I'd want the complete player and not a gamble on certain traits like we did with Sissoko. Who I'm hopeful will turn out good. But we need a sure fire player to improve us in January and I don't see that. I'm a massive fan of Zaha though if Levy has found 35 million down the back of his sofa.

Back
Top Bottom