January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thank goodness we're not signing Berahino

Seems like he was prepared to waste his career for two seasons, and let down his club all because they hd the nerve to want him to stay.
However, WBA have been massive fools here.....got the same out of the player as if they'd have sold him. Zero.

Now they get 10M less than we offered (if its 12M)

I think he will come good for Stoke, he sure has a lot to prove, but I do believe Poch was put off by his antics:

West Brom boss Tony Pulis has admitted that Berahino, 22, has struggled to cope with the collapse of his move to Spurs last summer. And although Pochettino did not mention Berahino by name, he made it clear he will not tolerate wayward behaviour.

“It’s our responsibility to sign not just the right players, but the right people,” the Tottenham head coach told Standard Sport. “Talent is at the same level as character and personality.
“We want to find good players but also good people. People who share our philosophy, behave well, show respect to the club and their team-mates and supporters; respect the badge. This is very important for success.

“It’s my philosophy. This is the way we want to create a big team here and have success in the future.”
“We have spent time to find the right people to give advice and information. It’s hard, it’s true, but we must do it. There are a lot of names on the market and it is easy simply to sign a player. But to get the right player, who has respect for the changing room, is our responsibility.”

Just read that Lazy 11 post about Adebayor.

"Emanuel Adebayor: Only played with him for 6 months but a quick story. I played for Fulham and he played for spurs. We were attacking and I was marking Adebayor in the midfield, suddenly he says "ahhh, I'm hungry". I replied "what?". "I can't wait for the game to finish, I'm so hungry. Do you know a good restaurant in London Hangeland?". Later when he came to Palace I started to realized where this came from. When we had strength workouts he would sit in the gym with just a cup of coffee and a muffin. He was being paid by City, Tottenham and Palace at the same time, and he was sitting in the gym drinking coffee. Incredible natural talent, very lazy."

Thank fuck we don't have this cunt with us anymore.

....and so it begins;
EXCLUSIVE: Mauricio Pochettino in line to replace Luis Enrique at Barcelona
Barcelona join Real Madrid in chase for Spurs star Dele Alli

From such reliable luminaries as the Daily Fart and the Daily Shitter, I'm not too worried... but you know how these stories gather pace, and before you know it, everyone is being sold, and we're left with a midfield of Sissoko and Tommy Carroll!
Begins? Poch has been linked with a move away for the past two years. Kane's been linked every month for 30 months to Utd, at least the record changed this week as it's now apparently an auction between *insert Chinese club* Madrid and Barca, include Alli to the auction. Trippier is going to West Ham, big Sam is buying Davies and Lloris is of to PSG or is it Madrid for the 10th time. Son is going back to Germany a long with Wimmer, Toby hasn't confirmed a new deal so therefore is 110% off to the worlds Eliete, dispite of courses forgetting the new deals we tied down the other players too but they don't count as it's Tottenham. Rose is off to Chelsea, but he may have changed his mind as the allure of both the Manchester clubs to to good to ignore. Walker to Chelsea and let's not forget Dier also on his way out to Bayern Munich or again Chelsea (because they did take Willian from us, so it must be true). Lamela is currently crippled in Italy so without any doubt he is off to Roma or Inter. He can get discount on a fight if he buys in bulk with Erikssen when he finally signs for Juve (god Levy drives a hard bargain it's taken 3yrs of constant negotiations to get that over the line). McDermott is off to Utd.

Throughout all this it's Vertonghen I most feel sorry for, he has been completely abandoned by the club with only Wanyama to play his favorite board games with. It's a desperate situation I tell ya, desperate.

I got 'culled' a few years ago, not long after I registered because I didn't post more than eight times a day or some bullshit like that.

Seems like I missed a trick and could have pasted in 'Thanks Prof, you're amazing' eight times every day like every other thread on there.

I got insta banned for calling the prof a cunt

People knew he'd be good though, just not this good.

Knowing a player will be at least good in England is a huge stepping stone to a successful transfer.

Do we know if GKN is good in England? We haven't got a clue. No one does.

Considering that vs the Toby situation, it was a no brainer.
Nobody knew for certain that Dele would make the step up to PL standard. Or that it would happen so swiftly. If people had known this, we would have faced stiff competition for his signature.
I'd never heard of Dier or Wimmer and I don't mind confessing that.
There is no way of knowing for certain that a player will be good in England. For example, Soldado. He ticked all the boxes to be a success here & was already very experienced. The rest is history.
The fact is, there is a huge slice of luck when a scouted player just hits the ground running.
Scouting for the academy is all important because that is the "factory" where our stars can be shaped. We seem to have the right formula there. Even players that don't make it are being sold for very respectable sums of money.

As for GKN, I think he will make it over here. I've seen enough in his brief appearances to know that he has a style that will terrorise PL defences. He is clearly being introduced slowly & whilst the first XI is doing so well, his opportunities will be limited.

It seems to me that the press are trying to make another story out of nothing. If it's not "player X is being pursued by Barca/Real/*insert club here*" then its "the manager is off in the summer".
Now, it's "Spurs' scouting system is on its arse".
What next? The canteen staff object to the new menu-Spurs in crisis.

I think we just have to accept that Spurs are big news. And with that, comes a lot of speculative & negative horseshit.

While our minds are on transfer matters, can I point out that our starting XI against West Brom cost £7m less than Paul Pogba?
Or that the starting XIs of the top six clubs this weekend contained 30 players bought for more than £15m
How many did Tottenham contribute to that number? None.
YIDS

He reminds me of Dembele in the way he uses his body to keep the ball away from the opposition....

He reminds me more of The Fonz in the way he uses his thumb to indicate that things are all O.K. Heyyyy!!!!
386c238fc41c197b6fcbba959c9bb3b9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom