January 2017 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The kid has ruined it for himself and won't make it now , should have slipped off under the radar and signed for someone like Ajax or Psv well before the hype train built up steam , he didn't now he's just another one of those rich kids who made it without ever making it , plying his trade as a novelty act for Real Madrid.

With that kind of insight I suppose you work for a Premier League team or at least in a black box somewhere?

No? I'm surprised. Very, like.

The hype around Odegaard was simply due to the fact that he played football in Norways top flight at the age of 15 - whether he was any good or not that was always going to bring publicity. In the same way that 13 year old up at Celtic is doing now. I haven't seen Odegaard beside one or two appearances for Norway where he made little impact so I wouldn't know how good he actually is.

I imagine though a 15 year old Marcus Edwards would probably have made similar impact in the Norweigen top flight.

So you guys are discussing the heck out of Ødegaard and have watched three games in total since he broke through at 14? With other words, you don't have a clue what you talk about?
Look, the kid may fail, but discussing the kid and pretendenting to be all-knows of a player you haven't seen, is just plain stupid. The guy is extremely talented and the hype is valid, but not yet. Like all kids he will need time, but his time will come. He's special, but whether that means he will be a Bale, Modric level player, or a Eriksen one, I can't tell.

Having actually seen him play a lot, I believe he is going make it.

He's been better this season, but he needs time. Writing off players at 17, wow!
He has a lot about him, he isn't only skillfull, but he read the game far beyond his age. He has had a rough start at one of the biggest clubs in the world, but the expectations have been idiotic and unrealistic. He is growing and is living with a pressure that is unheard of for such a young lad.

The last few months he has started to show what he can do for the U21s and Castilla. It will take time, but he will come good.
Didn't write him off, just wanted to get across that he hasn't been performing amazingly

With that kind of insight I suppose you work for a Premier League team or at least in a black box somewhere?

No? I'm surprised. Very, like.

I'm surprised you have the audacity to come out as such a condescending cunt , yes I have made a bold statement regarding the future of a young player but so have you with your "mark my words" bollocks , your words ? I must bow down and submit to your opinions under the weight of your words! , seriously though pull your head out of your arse and keep your ego in check.

I'm surprised you have the audacity to come out as such a condescending cunt , yes I have made a bold statement regarding the future of a young player but so have you with your "mark my words" bollocks , your words ? I must bow down and submit to your opinions under the weight of your words! , seriously though pull your head out of your arse and keep your ego in check.

Well, that's my opinion, you're entitled to your own. So, then, how many times have you seen him play since he broke through with Strømsgodset?

So you guys are discussing the heck out of Ødegaard and have watched three games in total since he broke through at 14? With other words, you don't have a clue what you talk about?
Look, the kid may fail, but discussing the kid and pretendenting to be all-knows of a player you haven't seen, is just plain stupid. The guy is extremely talented and the hype is valid, but not yet. Like all kids he will need time, but his time will come. He's special, but whether that means he will be a Bale, Modric level player, or a Eriksen one, I can't tell.

Having actually seen him play a lot, I believe he is going make it.

When have I provided my opinion on Odegaard? - ln fact if you can read, which I am sure you can do at a second grade level at least, you'll see that I said I have no idea how good he is.

Depends what make it means. He's made it.

Well, that's my opinion, you're entitled to your own. So, then, how many times have you seen him play since he broke through with Strømsgodset?

Like every other person in the world who has a job and a social life not many , you ? and please don't be that fanboy that pretends you watch Real Madrid reserve teams.

Like every other person in the world who has a job and a social life not many , you ? and please don't be that fanboy that pretends you watch Real Madrid reserve teams.

So, few then. Fair enough.
I'm Norwegian, and he has interested me since he broke through, that's why I have a decent foundation to form an opinion.
I have watched a lot of games, all for teh senior Norwegian team, a lot of games for Strømsgodset, most for the U21s and quite a few for Castilla as well. Doesn't make it more right or wrong, but I stand by what I say.

Last edited:
When have I provided my opinion on Odegaard? - ln fact if you can read, which I am sure you can do at a second grade level at least, you'll see that I said I have no idea how good he is.

Depends what make it means. He's made it.

Apart from the insults, fair enough. Do you think I would be allowed to perform my job without being able to read? This is getting strange.

So, few then.
I have watched a lot of games, all for teh senior Norwegian team, a lot of games for Strømsgodset, most for the U21s and quite a few for Castilla as well. I'm Norwegian, and he has interested me since he broke through, that's why I have a decent foundation to form an opinion. Doesn't make it more right or wrong, but I stand by what I say.

I do too and I don't expect to be belittled by you for having the opposite and equally unfounded opinion of Odegaard.

I don't claim to be an expert on this player but I feel it is practically impossible for a boy to prosper under his circumstances , I believe you shield youngsters not expose them like some marketing tool to a global fanfare like Madrid have done. high profile young transfers struggle with has the weight of expectation Bostock and Pennant are two that spring to mind both made headlines both were tipped as future hall of famers before they even kicked a ball at a high level and both were big money schoolboys Odegaard s probably the most hyped and highest paid schoolboy ever already a global sensation , the boy must try and feel the boots of the legend in full glare of the entire footballing world all at an age where he should just be learning his trade free from distraction.

giphy.gif

I do too and I don't expect to be belittled by you for having the opposite and equally unfounded opinion of Odegaard.

I don't claim to be an expert on this player but I feel it is practically impossible for a boy to prosper under his circumstances , I believe you shield youngsters not expose them like some marketing tool to a global fanfare like Madrid have done. high profile young transfers struggle with has the weight of expectation Bostock and Pennant are two that spring to mind both made headlines both were tipped as future hall of famers before they even kicked a ball at a high level and both were big money schoolboys Odegaard s probably the most hyped and highest paid schoolboy ever already a global sensation , the boy must try and feel the boots of the legend in full glare of the entire footballing world all at an age where he should just be learning his trade free from distraction.

You have already said that you have almost not watched him, and how could you? There is no reason why you should watch the Norwegian Tippeliga (Premier League), the Norwegian teams (why should anyone else than Norwegians watch them, they are dreadful) and Castilla (for people very much in a sub-group of Norwegian football fans OR Real Madrid fans). That was my surprise at how it's possible to write him off. Because most would not have had the chance to watch him at all.

So, back on track to discussion. I agree, regarding Perez, what they did was wrong. And I believe he would have done it better at Ajax, PSV or Bayern short term. Long term? We'll see. He's again showing signs that he is developing his game further. You cannot put him in the same bracket as Pennant or Bostock, really not. Not even Edwards, who has almost never played vs grownups. The hype was too much though, of course, out of proportion.

Despite all this, I believe, based on having watched him closely since he started, that he is a special talent who will develop into a very good player.

You have already said that you have almost not watched him, and how could you? There is no reason why you should watch the Norwegian Tippeliga (Premier League), the Norwegian teams (why should anyone else than Norwegians watch them, they are dreadful) and Castilla (for people very much in a sub-group of Norwegian football fans OR Real Madrid fans). That was my surprise at how it's possible to write him off. Because most would not have had the chance to watch him at all.

So, back on track to discussion. I agree, regarding Perez, what they did was wrong. And I believe he would have done it better at Ajax, PSV or Bayern short term. Long term? We'll see. He's again showing signs that he is developing his game further. You cannot put him in the same bracket as Pennant or Bostock, really not. Not even Edwards, who has almost never played vs grownups. The hype was too much though, of course, out of proportion.

Despite all this, I believe, based on having watched him closely since he started, that he is a special talent who will develop into a very good player.

very good player is a broad and subjective term.

what sort of level do you think he will play at ?

In my opinion a few games against dog shit teams at 15 does little to suggest he can play at a very high level , I see a few flicks and tricks and a bit of vision against limited opposition to be honest he seems to be behind where the likes of Geovanni Dos Santos , Nicolas Bendtner and Hate me Ben Arfa were at a similar age. he's barely progressed in the last year.

very good player is a broad and subjective term.

what sort of level do you think he will play at ?

In my opinion a few games against dog shit teams at 15 does little to suggest he can play at a very high level , I see a few flicks and tricks and a bit of vision against limited opposition to be honest he seems to be behind where the likes of Geovanni Dos Santos , Nicolas Bendtner and Hate me Ben Arfa were at a similar age. he's barely progressed in the last year.

The little flicks and tricks is not what makes people believe he is special. It's his decision making, his reading of the game on top of all those other qualities. And those are qualities you will need in the grown ups game. He has progressed the last year, but struggled in the first part of the year.

I think we'll see him as a star player in one of the top 5 leagues. It can always go south, but I personally, don't think so.

Does anyone actually expect us to do anything in January?

The last few have been a let down (other than Alli signing) I can't see that changing unless something drastic happens.
I, for one, expect nothing. For one, the fact that the "who we must have" thread is almost empty.
That means that even the fans seem happy with what we have.

Secondly, there is no affordable quality out there to come in & swing our season. Pause for thought on that one... of course there is quality out there, but having spent £30 million on someone in the summer, I genuinely doubt any respectable sum of money is getting spent in January.

It's a personal opinion but I'd move for Defoe. He'd come back in a heartbeat, still scores for fun (in a very bad side) & is a yid at heart. Not a sure starter but he never complained badly when he was at his peak. Just the sort of experienced head we would benefit from. A definite plan B.

I, for one, expect nothing. For one, the fact that the "who we must have" thread is almost empty.
That means that even the fans seem happy with what we have.

Secondly, there is no affordable quality out there to come in & swing our season. Pause for thought on that one... of course there is quality out there, but having spent £30 million on someone in the summer, I genuinely doubt any respectable sum of money is getting spent in January.

It's a personal opinion but I'd move for Defoe. He'd come back in a heartbeat, still scores for fun (in a very bad side) & is a yid at heart. Not a sure starter but he never complained badly when he was at his peak. Just the sort of experienced head we would benefit from. A definite plan B.

I'd have Defoe back in a heartbeat, but I don't think he'd come back to sit on the bench at his age.
But hey, if you don't ask .......................

Back
Top Bottom