January 2018 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We should reach out to Pirlo, to see if he would come and work with our young players. No disrespect to Scotty Parker, but imagine what they could learn from having Pirlo around.
I honestly wonder how good of a coach Pirlo would make, since you bring it up. So many great players just can't coach effectively, because they can't relate to normal players. What Pirlo finds second nature, seeing the field - anticipating the run and space - and then floating the ball into the right place at the perfect time is probably so natural to him he'd likely have a hard time being able to explain it to even talented top level footballers. The greats are simply on another level.

3 players - maybe 4 that are needed as things stand.

Zaha and Barkley, a young pacey striker with an eye for goal. There must be one out there that would be an asset, and a left back to compete with Davies.

When a player behaves in the way that Rose has evidently done you have to get rid or they cause internal issues.

We are already destined to lose at least one player from the main squad next summer and 2 if you include Rose, so we must plan ahead.

I honestly wonder how good of a coach Pirlo would make, since you bring it up. So many great players just can't coach effectively, because they can't relate to normal players. What Pirlo finds second nature, seeing the field - anticipating the run and space - and then floating the ball into the right place at the perfect time is probably so natural to him he'd likely have a hard time being able to explain it to even talented top level footballers. The greats are simply on another level.

I guess with Pirlo is that he won’t suffer Hoddleitis in that when trying to explain his methods, he’s not explaining it to a bunch of English cloggers. They’re more likely to be a more intelligent bunch.

I doubt if he has his badges yet, so it would be more a kind of consultant role than a coach. Chelsea are supposed to be trying to get their hooks into him, we should get in there first.

He doesn't sit on the bench though does he. He rotates within the squad. This is a pathetic argument used against us signing good players. Heard it all through the summer. Then we finished up with Llorente.
Have a word with yourself, please
Also, the 3-5-2 formation we have used on numerous occasions this season requires 2 strikers. I hate this "he won't sit on the bench" bollocks too.

Hmmmmm.... Why did Hoddle immediately spring to mind.

Yeah, coaching and teaching are skills all their own. It's not just about knowing the material, it's about being able to package and frame it in a way that the student understands. There is a major social intelligence component to that I think most players are probably missing.

Loan deal to Aubameyang? he is being bombed out from Dortmund - however even if they are knocked out of the CL we can't register him can we?

Ghoulam should be our number 1 target for the LB position next summer if indeed Rose is off.

I would also take a look at someone like Hirving Lozano who is absolutely tearing it up over in Holland and his first season in Europe. He also constantly took apart the Belgium team in the last friendly with Mexico. Incredible potential.

It's true of many sports , I once read Seve Ballesteros was an horrendous golf coach for that exact reason he was just so naturally brilliant that it frustrated him to the point of being an asshole because his students struggled to do things Seve could do with his eyes shut.

Haha I went to the Fulham v Derby game on Sat and watched Sessegnon closely all game - came away wondering what all the fuss was about... Shows what I know! ;)

Haha I went to the Fulham v Derby game on Sat and watched Sessegnon closely all game - came away wondering what all the fuss was about... Shows what I know! ;)

I saw him at Forest and thought the same (my old man is a Fulham supporter). I mean he was clearly the best player on the pitch but that wasn't saying much!

Interesting that for a while now he's been playing on the left of a three behind the striker now in a 4231.

Ryan Sessegnon just scored a hattrick for Fulham!

Fuck up of a back pass from Carter Vickers got Fulham back into the game.

Back
Top Bottom