January 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Utterly frustrated at our transfer mentality.
Such a strange club who I honestly feel are testing their fans' loyalty and patience.

xamBKKQ.jpg

I am just baffled.

Listen to Pochettino and he is sometimes a picture of equanimity.

It is laudable but will it win us anything? Is our situation sustainable?

I just want us to present a club who want to challenge as opposed to one who seem surprised at how well we have done.

No way is that asking for the most expensive stars but some kind of consolidating or rebuilding.

When we were a silly bugger's club for a while we found quality somehow.

Now, at the time when a bit of quality (yes a different time but...) would push us near the summit we sit frozen as though living in Antarctica.

You know when late August comes around and everyone starts losing their shit over the signings being too late and a pre season is essentiall, and we need to sign our targets early so they can train and learn Pochs methods for a few months and Levys penny pinching is going to cost us.........

Why doesn’t any of that count in January when we can sign players that can immediately strengthen us and help us reach our goals and win trophies?
What players are available that can immediately strengthen us? You never see any major transfers in January. Do you really want us to spend 70m on Callum Wilson?

What players are available that can immediately strengthen us? You never see any major transfers in January. Do you really want us to spend 70m on Callum Wilson?

We really are in a crisis period as a club or maybe it's the transfer market is in crisis for club's like us.

We need to fcuking buy a striker in the 20 million bracket who can learn and develop but who is also going to have an impact if our fallback is too expensive or the Kane effect.

It's getting a bit stupid in truth.

Errrr
I’m asking the people who
1) berate Levy for leaving summer signings to the last minute because of the reasons mentioned

Yet

2) demand signings in January that will see us strengthen the first team and help us win trophies

It’s not that hard to understand even for you.

I really don't know what to think anymore.

Were doing really well, no home ground, massive constant injuries and yet were comfortably third and still in all the cups , but I can't help but feel we need more players.

With dembele gone , wanyama seemingly broken it leaves us so short of options but there seems to be no rush. Skipp looks a massive prospect but can we stay top three with him, winks and sissoko as our main midfield options? More importantly and this is where my confusion lies , what does Poch want?

Are we simply waiting on a Rabiot or dear Jong level of signing and that's why we're not doing anything, does he want a player he can improve from good to great or is he happy to go with kids? As a fan I think the club are really selling him short by not investing but his statements appear to say his happy with our lack of business.

Such a strange time to be a spurs fan. Homeless but yet feels like we're waiting for an eternity to move into the best ground in Europe, doing so well but possibly losing some of our best players and no investing in the squad.

I'm really not sure where we are as a club at the moment.

Were doing really well, no home ground, massive constant injuries and yet were comfortably third and still in all the cups , but I can't help but feel we need more players.

With dembele gone , wanyama seemingly broken it leaves us so short of options but there seems to be no rush. Skipp looks a massive prospect but can we stay top three with him, winks and sissoko as our main midfield options? More importantly and this is where my confusion lies , what does Poch want?

Are we simply waiting on a Rabiot or dear Jong level of signing and that's why we're not doing anything, does he want a player he can improve from good to great or is he happy to go with kids? As a fan I think the club are really selling him short by not investing but his statements appear to say his happy with our lack of business.

Such a strange time to be a spurs fan. Homeless but yet feels like we're waiting for an eternity to move into the best ground in Europe, doing so well but possibly losing some of our best players and no investing in the squad.

Superbly well put mate because you are not one of those who would be called a dissenting voice.

Exactly my feelings and a few others.

Maybe ginola92 thinks Jenas hasn’t got a clue what he’s talking about as he’d be livid if we signed a striker and would rather replace Trippier right now

:pochfacepalm:
What a pathetic man you are
Still going on about a discussion a week ago fucking hell, for the 3000th time I would be livid if we spent 70 mil on Wilson rather than spend that on a central midfielder . You have serious issues, seek help. I've never once said I want trippier replaced in this window , as I'm sure you well know, I stand by every comment I made , trippier will cost us more points during a season than our front line. Yes in summer I would rather sign a first team right back before signing a 3rd choice striker , but if we are to sign anyone in this window it should be a CM, have you got my views through your thick skull yet or not.

That’s a cracking post

Such a strange club who I honestly feel are testing their fans' loyalty and patience.

I just think we’re a club that doesn’t give a shit when “twitter erupts”.
They probably look at the transfer activity under Poch, and know that the fans basically talk a lot of reactionary garbage, and feel little need to placate it.
Signed under Poch:

14/15
Davies
Fazio
Dele
Stambouli
Vorm
Dier
Yedlin
48M spent

15/16
Son
Toby
Njie
Wimmer
Trippier
71M spent

16/17
Sissoko
Janssen
Wanyama
Nkoudo
84M spent

17/18
Sanchez
Moura
Aurier
Llorente
Foyth
121M spent

18/19
No signings (so far)

Total spent on 21 signings: 324M

Now lets look at the successes, as in those still here who have contributed heavily in the last 4 years:
Davies, Dele, Vorm, Son, Toby, Trippier, Sissoko, Wanyama, Sanchez, Aurier, Moura, Foyth
Twelve successful signings
(Edit: Dier, 13 successful signings)

Then there are those who played their part, didnt make the cut, and moved on (or should be)
Yedlin, Fazio, Wimmer, Llorente
4 signings

Then the flops:
Nkoudou, Janssen, Njie, Stambouli
4 signings

In that time we lost one key player: Walker, which we recieved 50M for and spent on Aurier and Moura, basically.

So while now is a time to cover the loss of Kane and Dembele, I just dont think the club give a toss for the fake hyperbolic assertions of a large number of our fanbase, because the facts of our transfer activity is clearly listed above.
Coupled with the new stadium, and the fact we have gone from Europa league to consistent top 3 and outside title challengers in that period, I understand that the powers that be see this as a time of progression, and just because "sammyspurs" wants a striker, or "notabadsquad" thinks Poch will leave, its not a reason for THFC to act.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom