January 2020 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't we interested in Ziyech, but he only wanted a move to Bayern?
Stopspot is probably right. Apparently this summer he wanted to join Woolwich & they wanted him, all except for emery. So he pulled the plug on that deal.

If we were to raid Ajax I'd be hoping for Schuurs, Mazouri and Van De Beek. Big money maybe, but certainly fills out positions we need and young enough to improve. Schuurs is the only one who wouldn't walk straight into the team.

If we were to raid Ajax I'd be hoping for Schuurs, Mazouri and Van De Beek. Big money maybe, but certainly fills out positions we need and young enough to improve. Schuurs is the only one who wouldn't walk straight into the team.
I'm still surprised no one made a move for Van de Beek this summer. Would love us to be in for him and Fernades this January.

Everyone seems to be hankering after going up and coming talent. Great. But isn’t that going to lead us down the path we are on now? Building for a future that never arrives, then becoming stale as the players get comfy and or itchy feet?

Maybe time for a couple of proven winners in the side? A couple of thirty year olds that can lead the dressing room?

I'm still surprised no one made a move for Van de Beek this summer. Would love us to be in for him and Fernades this January.
I'd take one of those two and Barrios. A midfield of Barrios, behind Lo Celso, Ndombele and Van De Beek with Son/Moura nad Kane up front....

I remember reading something about us having been in contact with Ziyech but he turned us down. Something about if he was going to leave Ajax it was for Bayern.

Fair enough.
This has never been a story here in The Netherlands. He did say he only wants to leave Ajax for a club that he considers as a step up. Of course Bayern is one of them, but I believe Spurs is up there too. He did reject Sevilla in the summer, because he doesn't feel they are a step up. Which is not only due to Sevilla, but also due to the fact Ajax has really grown in the last couple of seasons. Just let it sink in for a moment, in 2017 we played the EL final against Man United, a few months later we lost against Nice in the CL qualification and Rosenborg kicked us out of the EL qualification. I think at that moment there was a list of 30/40 clubs that were a step up. Now we reached the CL semi-finals (Like you all know haha) and we're on 6 points after 2 matches in the CL. So the list of clubs he wants to leaves us for is getting smaller, but I still believe every Premier League team that qualifies for the CL is on his list, together with team like Barca, Real and Bayern.

Didn't know you supported Ajax. Good team. Yeah, it's surprising no one paid the 30m release price for him. That's a bargain. You are very good at producing & scouting players.
Yeah it's a great time again to support Ajax. Overmars and Van der Sar really brought the club philosophy back and things are going good for us. I can see a lot of talented players already who will break through in the first team in the next couple of years.

This has never been a story here in The Netherlands. He did say he only wants to leave Ajax for a club that he considers as a step up. Of course Bayern is one of them, but I believe Spurs is up there too. He did reject Sevilla in the summer, because he doesn't feel they are a step up. Which is not only due to Sevilla, but also due to the fact Ajax has really grown in the last couple of seasons. Just let it sink in for a moment, in 2017 we played the EL final against Man United, a few months later we lost against Nice in the CL qualification and Rosenborg kicked us out of the EL qualification. I think at that moment there was a list of 30/40 clubs that were a step up. Now we reached the CL semi-finals (Like you all know haha) and we're on 6 points after 2 matches in the CL. So the list of clubs he wants to leaves us for is getting smaller, but I still believe every Premier League team that qualifies for the CL is on his list, together with team like Barca, Real and Bayern.
I think our "connection" with Ziyech was in the summer of 2018. I remember reading about it before our games against you guys. So it was at the same time that we were negotiating about De Jong (this has been confirmed by De Jong himself).

Obviously in my biased opinion it sucks that he said no but fair fucks to him if he has his eyes set on a certain club as long as it doesn't come back to haunt him (looking at you, Christian).

Yeah it's a great time again to support Ajax. Overmars and Van der Sar really brought the club philosophy back and things are going good for us. I can see a lot of talented players already who will break through in the first team in the next couple of years.
I seem to think Schuurs is slightly behind De Ligt, but will be nearly as good. What's your opinion of him and Perie?

I seem to think Schuurs is slightly behind De Ligt, but will be nearly as good. What's your opinion of him and Perie?

Schuurs made a very good impression in preseason and in the games he played in the league. Just had some minor errors which he needs to cut out of his play to become a regular in our first team. He's unlucky that Veltman and Blind are a very good CB pairing at the moment, but I believe he will be our CB in the near future. Pierie is a different story for me, I don't think he's up for it at the moment. But our biggest jewel is the 16 year old Naci Unuvar. He's an amazing player who remind me a lot of Nouri. Even on his 16th, he's the big star in our U19 team and already trained with the first team.

I think our "connection" with Ziyech was in the summer of 2018. I remember reading about it before our games against you guys. So it was at the same time that we were negotiating about De Jong (this has been confirmed by De Jong himself).

Obviously in my biased opinion it sucks that he said no but fair fucks to him if he has his eyes set on a certain club as long as it doesn't come back to haunt him (looking at you, Christian).

I really haven't heard about this and to be honest, I don't believe he said no to you. In the summer of 2018 he was ready to move to AS Roma, but when they were in negotiations with Ajax, Roma all of a sudden got quiet and never replied anymore (their loss). He even said he was ready to make the move to Rome, that's why I don't believe he said no to Spurs. Why would he want to move to As Roma and not to Spurs?

We need to start bringing in youngsters again from the usual....

Ajax , psv, porto, benfica, sporting, france, brazil, argentina etc... a new wave of hungry kids

I really haven't heard about this and to be honest, I don't believe he said no to you. In the summer of 2018 he was ready to move to AS Roma, but when they were in negotiations with Ajax, Roma all of a sudden got quiet and never replied anymore (their loss). He even said he was ready to make the move to Rome, that's why I don't believe he said no to Spurs. Why would he want to move to As Roma and not to Spurs?
There are some rumors that he is a Woolwich fan which could explain it. But yeah, those are just rumors.

There are some rumors that he is a Woolwich fan which could explain it. But yeah, those are just rumors.

There were the same rumours about him being a PSV fan before he joined Ajax. There was even a clip going round when Ajax and PSV played for the title, he asked who won, he cheered when the answer was PSV. Still he came to Ajax the year after. So even is he supports a team, he won't let this influence the steps in his career.

Everyone seems to be hankering after going up and coming talent. Great. But isn’t that going to lead us down the path we are on now? Building for a future that never arrives, then becoming stale as the players get comfy and or itchy feet?

Maybe time for a couple of proven winners in the side? A couple of thirty year olds that can lead the dressing room?
Replying to myself like a fucking mental, but had a look at expiring contracts in the summer....

Cavani
Meunier
Nacho
Savic
Goetze
Mertens
Matuidi
Modric
Banega

I’m sure almost all of these would improve our first eleven and our winning mentality. Question marks over Savic and Nacho maybe.

Replying to myself like a fucking mental, but had a look at expiring contracts in the summer....

Cavani
Meunier
Nacho
Savic
Goetze
Mertens
Matuidi
Modric
Banega

I’m sure almost all of these would improve our first eleven and our winning mentality. Question marks over Savic and Nacho maybe.
could any of them do it on a cold tuedsay night in Colchester?
seriously though I agree, they would add some much needed guile. I guess its their expectations of wages that could be an issue.

Cavani
Meunier
Nacho
Savic
Goetze
Mertens
Matuidi
Modric
Banega

This is definitely some quality but the question is if they would gel with Poch's "my way or the high way" training style? Poch looks a lot at a player's character before saying yes or no on a deal. Not saying that these guys are bad apples, but they might question his methods and system which seems to be a factor in how we have ended up where we are today.

I guess that is why a lot of us are looking at younger players. In part it is usually easier to play a more exciting brand of football if you fill the team with energetic youngsters. And in part they are less likely to talk back to the boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom