January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sanchez simply doesnt fit in the squad tactically and mentally. He might be good if he joiend Liverpool or any other club which press high.
However, when you defend with low blocks i think that he lacks of positioning and man-marking.

Also, I disagree that Klopp does only sucessfull transfers. If you see the players he purchased, you clearly see that "low cost transfers" that he did were not successful at all! Only high-bid transfers did well.

Klopp doesn’t really “do” the transfers, they have a recruitment committee process that involves an analytics dept, scouting dept etc, with manager and DOF all part of process. But since Klopp arrived it's not just big money transfers that have been a success:

Joe Gomez - 5m Euro
Matip - Free
Wijnaldum - 27m
Robertson 9m
Thiago 22m
Tsimakas 13m

They've also paid the same sort of money (circa 30-40m GBP) we've paid for the likes of Sanchez, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguilon, Bergwijn on players like Mane, Salah, Jotta, Fabinho, Firminho

Klopp doesn’t really “do” the transfers, they have a recruitment committee process that involves an analytics dept, scouting dept etc, with manager and DOF all part of process. But since Klopp arrived it's not just big money transfers that have been a success:

Joe Gomez - 5m Euro
Matip - Free
Wijnaldum - 27m
Robertson 9m
Thiago 22m
Tsimakas 13m

They've also paid the same sort of money (circa 30-40m GBP) we've paid for the likes of Sanchez, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Reguilon, Bergwijn on players like Mane, Salah, Jotta, Fabinho, Firminho
To be honest i dont even consider them as top players.

Joe Gomez: is a really bad defender. He was lucky that he had 2 exceptional years on top form. He does silly mistakes and I consider him bad in man-marking. He is not strong and poor on the air.

Matip: He is exceptional tactical but nothing more than that. He is a notch below Dier (as CB)

Thimikas: Are you kidding me? I am Greek and I guarantee you that this kid has potential, but he is far froma starting eleven player. Also he is poor defensively. However his crosses are suberb.

I agree that the rest are really good players, but Wijnaldum for 27m was not " cheap" (taken into accoutn when they made this bid and how the market was). Thiago was an amazing transfer just for 22m.

Joe Gomez - 5m Euro
Matip - Free
Wijnaldum - 27m
Robertson 9m
Thiago 22m
Tsimakas 13m

Biggest busts Keita 48m (a bit poo) & Ox-Chamberlain 35m (crock)

Biggest busts Keita 48m (a bit poo) & Ox-Chamberlain 35m (crock)

I don’t think Keita’s been a complete bust, he’d walk into our midfield, and he’s had some good games for Liverpool, just not quite nailed his way into a regular first team spot so far for a combination of reasons. If he he sticks around I can see him becoming the natural successor to Wijnaldum.

Last edited:
Think our squad is looking in pretty good shape.

I suspect we will look to offload some fringe players eg. Gazzaniga, Rose
We (imo) should also look to sort a deal for Dele , preferrably on Loan. Just somewhere where he can get his confidence back and can get minutes .

I think in terms of incomings , its dependant on how the next few fixtures go. I still think we need a CB but I'd like to see Rodon/Tanganga given minutes and they may prove to be solutions.
Similarly we may need a creative player but I'd like to see a Lo Celso/Ndombele midfield to see if that's creative enough.

I don’t think Keita’s been a complete bust, he’d walk into our midfield, and he’s had some good games for Liverpool, just not quite nailed his into a regular first team spot so far for a combination of reasons. If he he sticks around I can see him becoming the natural successor to Wijnaldum.

Signed for a record 48m.... Into his 3rd season and still on the fringes.... May have looked good in the BL but always been underwhelming when I've seen him in the EPL.

I think your comment "If he sticks around" is quite telling.

Signed for a record 48m.... Into his 3rd season and still on the fringes.... May have looked good in the BL but always been underwhelming when I've seen him in the EPL.

I think your comment "If he sticks around" is quite telling.

You might not have seen them, but he has had some good games for Liverpool. He had injury problems first season, whilst at the same time Klopp had a very settled midfield that was like a machine, a combination of circumstances more than Keita himself contributed to him not getting a regular place. You look at what happened to Ndombele last season, or Son in his first couple of seasons, football isn't always simply a case of if your good you'll start games.

I still like Keita very much, I think he'd walk into almost any other top PL midfield. He has a real all-round, multifunctional skillset that's much sought after.

Found these quotes which kind of tally with what I'm saying:

Reds boss Klopp, who has reassured the 24-year-old about his lack of first-team opportunities, admits the relentless form of his league leaders and a series of tight matches have made it difficult to give Keita minutes.

“Naby had injuries, the team is in really good shape, so then do you change?,” said Klopp.

“We are not flying, it’s not like we won all of the games 4-0, or 5-0, so we had to bring on a player who helps us with defending set-pieces.

“Then Naby is sitting outside thinking, ‘why don’t I play?’ I get all that.

“So we stayed in contact, we talked and we spoke a lot about it.

“But in the end of course a player needs to have this evidence that the manager still believes in you. I was never in doubt about that.

“It was just unlucky and in life you need luck always. He started (his Liverpool career) really well – everybody forgot that – then got injured. And again we had two really good seasons.

“(I was) never in doubt about his quality.”

You might not have seen them, but he has had some good games for Liverpool. He had injury problems first season, whilst at the same time Klopp had a very settled midfield that was like a machine, a combination of circumstances more than Keita himself contributed to him not getting a regular place. You look at what happened to Ndombele last season, or Son in his first couple of seasons, football isn't always simply a case of if your good you'll start games.

I still like Keita very much, I think he'd walk into almost any other top PL midfield. He has a real all-round, multifunctional skillset that's much sought after.

Found these quotes which kind of tally with what I'm saying:

Reds boss Klopp, who has reassured the 24-year-old about his lack of first-team opportunities, admits the relentless form of his league leaders and a series of tight matches have made it difficult to give Keita minutes.

“Naby had injuries, the team is in really good shape, so then do you change?,” said Klopp.

“We are not flying, it’s not like we won all of the games 4-0, or 5-0, so we had to bring on a player who helps us with defending set-pieces.

“Then Naby is sitting outside thinking, ‘why don’t I play?’ I get all that.

“So we stayed in contact, we talked and we spoke a lot about it.

“But in the end of course a player needs to have this evidence that the manager still believes in you. I was never in doubt about that.

“It was just unlucky and in life you need luck always. He started (his Liverpool career) really well – everybody forgot that – then got injured. And again we had two really good seasons.

“(I was) never in doubt about his quality.”

That article was a year ago now.... A lot of which may amount to little more than positive encouragement.

I guess we'll see how it goes, but this is no longer season #2; it's season #3 and they've since brought in Thiago now too whilst Kilppety still has a boner for Milner off the bench. They also seem to be toying with the idea of dropping on man from the CM3 too. None of which bodes well for him.

Keita's way to weak mentally for the EPL, the only "good" games he's had are when he's been under zero pressure against a poor midfield ... no way Klopp plays him unless he has no other options - wouldn't get near a Mourinho starting eleven his play off-the-ball is pretty terrible.

As for January - all about clearing the decks for next summer - Rose, Serge, Dele even Lamela who is out of contract in 18 months - could all be sold to clear the decks.

Unless there's an absolute bargain can't see Jose wanting anyone new, the squad is full and with no CL to play in there's no real point in buying in January.

You are clueless. I doubt you've even seen him play.
Yup and Sissoko is shit right? - We all know you're bias knows no bounds Blakey - Klopp won't play Keita, I'll take his opinion over yours every day and twice on Saturday, just as I take Mourinho's opinion when he keeps playing Sissoko .... that must bite you in the arse every week 🦧 🦧

When only that sheet stain Igula agrees with you, you must realise that something is very badly wrong.

That article was a year ago now.... A lot of which may amount to little more than positive encouragement.

I guess we'll see how it goes, but this is no longer season #2; it's season #3 and they've since brought in Thiago now too whilst Kilppety still has a boner for Milner off the bench. They also seem to be toying with the idea of dropping on man from the CM3 too. None of which bodes well for him.

But it kind of backs up what I was saying. Liverpool were one of the two/three best teams in Europe last two years, there's no shame in not quite nailing down a starting place under those circumstances.

Look at this for example:

lTPdJtS.png

eikjkZ8.png

Of course, all this stuff next context, but not to shabby, and anyone who's actually watched him knows he's got a really good all round skill set. For RBS he was playing a more defensive remit and posting some of the best defensive metrics in that league, then at RBL they had him more as an 8 type and he was posting some of the best creative metrics in the BL.

Give it up Blakey - who cares about what he did four years ago at RBS, or indeed who well he's done as a bit part Liverpool player in games against Blackpool, Lincoln City and Atalanta.

This season in the EPL he has played just 248 minutes what's worse he's been subbed off every time he started .... as a man who posts a lot of outdated stats, how about this current comparison?

2020 - Kieta 248 minutes OPTA rating 6.33
2020 - Sissoko 483 minutes OPTA rating 6.73

No which one is doing better? How about you make us a nice diagram on that data?

Fbref is originally a US Baseball site that now looks to make money from re-imaging "soccer" stats ... it has 11 employees compared to OPTA's >150 ... suggest you use proper data not some second-hand twitter kids from Pennsylvania.

Give it up Blakey - who cares about what he did four years ago at RBS, or indeed who well he's done as a bit part Liverpool player in games against Blackpool, Lincoln City and Atalanta.

This season in the EPL he has played just 248 minutes what's worse he's been subbed off every time he started .... as a man who posts a lot of outdated stats, how about this current comparison?

2020 - Kieta 248 minutes OPTA rating 6.33
2020 - Sissoko 483 minutes OPTA rating 6.73

No which one is doing better? How about you make us a nice diagram on that data?

Fbref is originally a US Baseball site that now looks to make money from re-imaging "soccer" stats ... it has 11 employees compared to OPTA's >150 ... suggest you use proper data not some second-hand twitter kids from Pennsylvania.

Fbref buy their data from stats bomb you fucking fool. You know Statsbomb, one of the leading football analytics companies in the world that also employs 150 people.

So my Fbref 6 + Statsbomb 150 fucks your Opta 150 up the arse. Now fuck off with your stupid OPTA "rating" bollocks. You have demonstrated on numerous occasions you know fuck all about football and have absolutely no clue how to use football stats. Like last week when you didn't understand the difference between an "appearance" and actual "minutes on the pitch".

Last edited:
Fbref buy their data from stats bomb you fucking fool. You know Statsbomb, one of the leading football analytics companies in the world that also employs 150 people.

So my Fbref 6 + Statsbomb 150 fucks your Opta 150 up the arse. Now fuck off with your stupid OPTA "rating" bollocks. You have demonstrated on numerous occasions you know fuck all about football and have absolutely no clue how to use football stats. Like last week when you didn't understand the difference between an "appearance" and actual "minutes on the pitch".
You're the tool - use the original Statsbomb data not some second hand re-imaged bullshit ... only a complete dickhead falls for that, it's like accepting Trump's election results just because they're his re-imaged version of the data, that doesn't make his version accurate.

You just establish a bias in your head - like with Sissoko - and then every week create fictional bollocks to support that bias. No problem with you having a different opinion it's what football sites are all about, but supporting that opinion with total fiction is always going to get called out ...

Klopp and Mourinho know what they're doing, they've won more than you can ever dream about - sure challenge them if you want but don't try and convince us that up is down - no amount of fake analysis will achieve that. Why do you even bother to try?

Haaah, I would absolutely LOVE us to sell them Sanchez...

This would mean number of things -
1) We would get rid of expensive liability who makes very basic mistakes and often fails to even judge uninterrupted flight of the ball.
2) Eliminate the chance that Pool would buy a decent player that would actually make them stronger.
3) We would get good money for him (we absolutely could hardball them to pay 45-50-55 mil - why not, they are in desperate position and at the same time seem to think that he is actual defender)
4) We could put this good money into way better use. If we are able to sell him for crazy money, move on Alli + Rose + Gazza, we would have enough dough to buy top class CB + DM - last of which would allow us to have cover for PEH; or play PEH instead of Sissoko in same position (which would be absolutely monumental difference to whole team dynamics); or when Lo Celso and Ndombele are fully fit play them together with specialized DM.

Just saying that people started talking about "we can win EPL" - right now I honestly feel that we are one brilliant CB + very good DM away from the chance. And all mentioned players (Rose, Gazza, Alli, Sanchez) are really low in the pecking order.

Would not think twice.

Unfortunately it is a BS story and ain't gonna happen, but one can dream!

You're the tool - use the original Statsbomb data not some second hand re-imaged bullshit ... only a complete dickhead falls for that, it's like accepting Trump's election results just because they're his re-imaged version of the data, that doesn't make his version accurate.

You just establish a bias in your head - like with Sissoko - and then every week create fictional bollocks to support that bias. No problem with you having a different opinion it's what football sites are all about, but supporting that opinion with total fiction is always going to get called out ...

Klopp and Mourinho know what they're doing, they've won more than you can ever dream about - sure challenge them if you want but don't try and convince us that up is down - no amount of fake analysis will achieve that. Why do you even bother to try?

Fbref pay to use Statsbomb data but allow you to apply it to individual player comparisons, where statsbomb don’t offer that service for free.

I’ve gone to great effort to explain and support my opinion with anecdotal, pictorial, video and data metrics. Proper, in-depth analytics, not his opta score card.

You on the other hand have backed your opinion up with fuck all of substance, just a lot of hot air and rudimentary schoolboy stats. Oh and “The Manager picks him”. Managers don’t get everything right, that’s why they get the sack, continually, in Mourinho’s case from his last two jobs, partly because of his selections (cough Fellani). If we’re not going to question manager’s selections, let’s just close the fucking forum. At least I back my questioning up with something other than a Trumpian opta score or try to just shut down other opinions with little more than your usual Trumpian blow hard “fake news” rant.

But it kind of backs up what I was saying. Liverpool were one of the two/three best teams in Europe last two years, there's no shame in not quite nailing down a starting place under those circumstances.

Look at this for example:

lTPdJtS.png

eikjkZ8.png

Of course, all this stuff next context, but not to shabby, and anyone who's actually watched him knows he's got a really good all round skill set. For RBS he was playing a more defensive remit and posting some of the best defensive metrics in that league, then at RBL they had him more as an 8 type and he was posting some of the best creative metrics in the BL.

Rather condescending there Blakey....

I've yet to see that data reflected in an EPL performance by him. That's pretty much the long and the short of my opinion of the guy.....

I still find your "If he stays" comment somewhat pertinent... I mean why would they let the player you are depicting go anywhere (or similarly, why would you suggest they might if it's all rosey)?

Back
Top Bottom