January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lyon have dropped Woolwich target Houssem Aouar for Sunday's game against Reims as the France midfielder, 22, refused to warm down after being an unused substitute for their win over Angers. (L'Equipe via Mirror)

Lyon have dropped Woolwich target Houssem Aouar for Sunday's game against Reims as the France midfielder, 22, refused to warm down after being an unused substitute for their win over Angers. (L'Equipe via Mirror)
Snooty, he's a very talented player though. Reminds me of Nasri a bit the way he moves with the ball.

Who will be out in January?
Obviously Rose and Gazza set to leave. Gedson loan likely to be ended.
Sanchez is in the last chance saloon but Toby's injury will give him a chance to get back in Jose's good books. IMO he will be replaced with an experienced CB.
Winks may well not have a long term future at the club but I think he stays this window.
Could White maybe get a loan and challenge Skipp for the Winks "slot" in the summer?
Lamela will have to be replaced sooner or later. His injury record is abysmal.
Despite his appearance last night I think Whiteman will be leaving. As an over-age player he could be joined by Georgiou and Marsh but maybe on loan.
It seems Jose is happy with all the remaining 1st team players and he's right to be. Rodon is the only one with a question mark but I trust JM's judgement that he is good enough.
IMO a new CB will be our only signing.

Anybody see the Gravenbach hit for Ajax on Weds? Holy moly. I hope we take a good look at him, he looks like he'd be a great addition to our midfield.

My view:

Sell in jan:
- Sanchez
- Winks
- Jack Clarke (loan)
- One of Lamela/Moura (both will probably refuse and sour the dressing room atmosphere)

buy in Jan:
Anguissa - If by January Fulham look destined for the drop, we should see if we can pry him from them.
Sabitzer - If red bull drop to the EL he might become an option. He's been on our radar for a while, he wants to come. Plays RW and CM. A leader in the team, scorer of ocassional bangers.

We just won't find a quality CB for a reasonable price in Jan. Our defence is solid enough as it is, we just need better outlets through the middle and goal scorers.

Here's a reminder of the current squad(s) I have added Rodon to the EL squad assuming we progress. He is classed as non-HG.

EPLEL
NON-HG (16)NON-HG (17)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GAZZANIGA
3AURIERAURIER2
4ALDERWEIRELDALDERWEIRELD3
5SANCHEZSANCHEZ4
6DIERDIER5
7REGUILONREGUILON6
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG7
9SISSOKOSISSOKO8
10NDOMBELENDOMBELE9
11LAMELALAMELA10
12LO CELSOLO CELSO11
13BERGWIJNBERGWIJN12
14MOURAMOURA13
15SONSON14
16VINICIUSVINICIUS15
DAVIES16
RODON17
HG (9)ASSOCIATION (4)
1HARTHART1
2DOHERTYDOHERTY2
3DELEDELE3
CLARKE4
4DAVIES
5RODON
CLUB TRAINED (4)
6WHITEMANWHITEMAN1
7WINKSWINKS2
8KANEKANE3
9BALEBALE4
SQUAD TOTAL: 25SQUAD TOTAL: 25

Unless we lose Sanchez we can't add a non-HG player.
If we drop Clarke from the EL squad we could add a HG available for EL games only. Some have suggested Dele is loaned or sold. That would mean 2 HG slots available for EL games only and 1 slot available for domestic games.
I would be surprised if Gazza is still at the club after this window which means in theory we could buy a non-HG just for EPL/EFL/FA games.
Sounds complicated but in a nutshell Gazza leaves, Clarke omitted from EL and we can get a HG who can play in all competitions.
Edit: If Whiteman alone were to leave we could add a HG or non-HG available for domestic games only.
If both he and Gazza were to leave we could add 2 non-HG available for domestic games only.

Last edited:
My view:

Sell in jan:
- Sanchez
- Winks
- Jack Clarke (loan)
- One of Lamela/Moura (both will probably refuse and sour the dressing room atmosphere)

buy in Jan:
Anguissa - If by January Fulham look destined for the drop, we should see if we can pry him from them.
Sabitzer - If red bull drop to the EL he might become an option. He's been on our radar for a while, he wants to come. Plays RW and CM. A leader in the team, scorer of ocassional bangers.

We just won't find a quality CB for a reasonable price in Jan. Our defence is solid enough as it is, we just need better outlets through the middle and goal scorers.

Selling Winks without suitable HG replacement will be a bad move.

I see you're chatting made up shit about Lucas & Lamela again too.... You've no evidence to suggest they'd pose problems in the dressing room... Quite the opposite in fact as both are proven to be team players.

Who will be out in January?
Obviously Rose and Gazza set to leave. Gedson loan likely to be ended.
Sanchez is in the last chance saloon but Toby's injury will give him a chance to get back in Jose's good books. IMO he will be replaced with an experienced CB.
Winks may well not have a long term future at the club but I think he stays this window.
Could White maybe get a loan and challenge Skipp for the Winks "slot" in the summer?
Lamela will have to be replaced sooner or later. His injury record is abysmal.
Despite his appearance last night I think Whiteman will be leaving. As an over-age player he could be joined by Georgiou and Marsh but maybe on loan.
It seems Jose is happy with all the remaining 1st team players and he's right to be. Rodon is the only one with a question mark but I trust JM's judgement that he is good enough.
IMO a new CB will be our only signing.

Home grown will be a factor. Winks aint going anywhere till we get more HG in

Rose, Gazza, Gedson and Sanchez are all out of favour so will leave Jan or summer.

No way will Lamela leave. Too much fight and usefullness in many roles.

Rodon has a question mark? hes only just arrived?

Here's a reminder of the current squad(s) I have added Rodon to the EL squad assuming we progress. He is classed as non-HG.

EPLEL
NON-HG (16)NON-HG (17)
1LLORISLLORIS1
2GAZZANIGA
3AURIERAURIER2
4ALDERWEIRELDALDERWEIRELD3
5SANCHEZSANCHEZ4
6DIERDIER5
7REGUILONREGUILON6
8HOJBJERGHOJBJERG7
9SISSOKOSISSOKO8
10NDOMBELENDOMBELE9
11LAMELALAMELA10
12LO CELSOLO CELSO11
13BERGWIJNBERGWIJN12
14MOURAMOURA13
15SONSON14
16VINICIUSVINICIUS15
DAVIES16
RODON17
HG (9)ASSOCIATION (4)
1HARTHART1
2DOHERTYDOHERTY2
3DELEDELE3
CLARKE4
4DAVIES
5RODON
CLUB TRAINED (4)
6WHITEMANWHITEMAN1
7WINKSWINKS2
8KANEKANE3
9BALEBALE4
SQUAD TOTAL: 25SQUAD TOTAL: 25

Unless we lose Sanchez we can't add a non-HG player.
If we drop Clarke from the EL squad we could add a HG available for EL games only. Some have suggested Dele is loaned or sold. That would mean 2 HG slots available for EL games only and 1 slot available for domestic games.
I would be surprised if Gazza is still at the club after this window which means in theory we could buy a non-HG just for EPL/EFL/FA games.
Sounds complicated but in a nutshell Gazza leaves, Clarke omitted from EL and we can get a HG who can play in all competitions.

The one player I cannot get any certainty of his status on is Doherty - he went on loan to a Scottish club (ie not affiliated to The FA) before the age of 21 at Wolves, which under UEFA rules may mean he had not completed 3 years at Wolves (an FA affiliated club) and is thus treated as an 'overseas trained player' rather than one trained by a club affiliated to the FA.

If Doherty is an overseas trained player that of course means we need to sell an overseas trained player to incorporate Rodon in the squad.

As I understand the UEFA rules, if Rodon had been a player trained by a club 'affiliated to the FA' rather than overseas trained, Spurs could have (for example) left Clarke out of the EL squad, waited until Rodon joined and then asked UEFA to add him to the squad to fill a vacancy or if Rodon had not joined could have put Clarke into the vacancy. As that did not happen I might be leaning to believe Doherty is considered overseas trained for EL purposes.

Unless someone can find a definitive official pronouncement I think its a case of 'watch this space' to see what happens in January, as club will try to find a way to get Rodon into EL squad in January

Winks will not go anywhere...

He is a very important player for the rotation needed... The second half of the season will have a busy schedule. Europa League knockout stages and FA Cup will start soon...

Back
Top Bottom