January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Like i said yesterday, this january window is only for the players that Mourinho and the club doesn't want in the squad. Gazzaniga, Gedson and Rose.

Players like Sanchez, Winks, Lamela and Dele are all needed for the rotation. GK we have a 3 option on Alfie. Gedson doesn't have space in the squad. Rose the same...

Next season, without sales:

-Association Trained {PL]Club Trained [PL]Association Trained [EU]Club Trained [EU]
1HartWhitemanHartWhiteman
2DohertyTangangaDohertyTanganga
3DeleWinksDeleWinks
4ClarkeSkippClarkeSkipp
5SessegnonParrottSessegnonParrott
6DaviesKane-Kane
7RodonBale*-Bale

*if he stays

Some of those players would qualify as u21, but so what

Like I said yesterday, this January window is only for the players that Mourinho and the club doesn't want in the squad. Gazzaniga, Gedson and Rose.

Players like Sanchez, Winks, Lamela and Dele are all needed for the rotation. GK we have a 3 option on Alfie. Gedson doesn't have space in the squad. Rose the same...
IMO we will sign an experienced HG CB.
Gazza out of EPL squad and Clarke dropped from EL squad creates the space.
Possible but unlikely we swap Sanchez for a non-HG CB. Maybe a loan for Dav?

IMO we will sign an experienced HG CB.
Gazza out of EPL squad and Clarke dropped from EL squad creates the space.
Possible but unlikely we swap Sanchez for a non-HG CB. Maybe a loan for Dav?
Clarke is on the EL b-list. We don't need to drop him.

I get you.

But we also cannot rule out him improving alongside better players/another manager. And we are once again skirting around having not enough homegrown players in the squad which could be an issue.

You make a decent pitch.... Thought I'd be more keen if he was seen to be able to deputise for PEH.

Next season, without sales:

-Association Trained {PL]Club Trained [PL]Association Trained [EU]Club Trained [EU]
1HartWhitemanHartWhiteman
2DohertyTangangaDohertyTanganga
3DeleWinksDeleWinks
4ClarkeSkippClarkeSkipp
5SessegnonParrottSessegnonParrott
6DaviesKane-Kane
7RodonBale*-Bale

*if he stays

Some of those players would qualify as u21, but so what

Uncertainty over whether Doherty is actually 'overseas trained' for EL due to his loan to Hibernian (affiliated to Scottish FA) meaning he did not complete 3 years at Wolves to become HG (FA take more lenient view for PL).

Will the likes of Whiteman, Clarke, Parrott be considered experience enough to be regarded as players able to start matches on a regular basis - I've seen negativity from a number of posters on TFC for far more experienced players including Winks and Skipp and even Tanganga.

So the number of HG players some on TFC 'trust' as experienced enough players suddenly shrink markedly. Which is why HG is a problem

Uncertainty over whether Doherty is actually 'overseas trained' for EL due to his loan to Hibernian (affiliated to Scottish FA) meaning he did not complete 3 years at Wolves to become HG (FA take more lenient view for PL).

Will the likes of Whiteman, Clarke, Parrott be considered experience enough to be regarded as players able to start matches on a regular basis - I've seen negativity from a number of posters on TFC for far more experienced players including Winks and Skipp and even Tanganga.

So the number of HG players some on TFC 'trust' as experienced enough players suddenly shrink markedly. Which is why HG is a problem
Cartilage free captain lists Doherty as homegrown. And they quote Alasdair Gold. Who we have to assume has done his hoemwork.

Not sure why you think those players have to 'start matches on a regular basis'?

He's an odd one, Brighton and Leeds both play posssesion based football that forces him to be very very good on the ball, which he is, but both their defences are chaotic as fuck. He's never played in the kind of solid focused defence where winning aerial duels, blocking shots etc are primary tasks of the CBs.

He got put on his arse by Rashford a few weeks ago, a scramble in the box in which I feel Toby and Dier would have done a better job blocking the shot. I have some doubts about his 1v1 game.

He plays as the RCB of a 3ATB lineup, in a back 4 he gets moved to midfield.

Also, trying to buy a homegrown player who just signed a new contract at a PL club in Jan seems a bit futile.

:levyeyes:

I have no idea what this actually means in terms of transfers, but it will add cost so probably can't be good for us...

Whilst providing no detail; it does suggest that the EPL etc. are hellbent making it more difficult than it needs to be in some weak gesture towards improving HG players.

Personally, I don't see why they don't just take on the chin whatever changes the revised trade/employment laws will dictate and leave the rest alone.....

Cartilage free captain lists Doherty as homegrown. And they quote Alasdair Gold. Who we have to assume has done his hoemwork.

Not necessarily true that they have checked everything and Gold may have changed his mind .Jose Mourinho leaves three Tottenham stars out of Europa League squad but one gets back in - football.london

Currently if you assume Doherty is Association trained in EL squad there are 4 Association trained players in EL (Dele, Clarke, Hart...and Doherty) but only 16 overseas players and as maximum 17 allowed there is one spare overseas player place free.

So on the day Spurs submit EL squad, we knew Rodon wasn't coming that day, but we had both Gazzaniga and Gedson, (both overseas players) who were not included in EL squad - but either an experienced 3rd GK or a versatile midfield player would have been better than leaving a spare space in the squad. Its not sensible to leave out a player is it ?

However with Doherty actually being an overseas player we have 17 overseas players in the squad, so on deadline day that was the reason there was no room for additional overseas players and hence neither Gazzaniga nor Gedson could be included. No spare spaces for overseas players so they were left out of the EL squad

NTW, feel free to check out Doherty's clubs and the loan to Hibernian which means he was not at Wolves for the 3 years necessary to acquire HG status for EL rules.
(BTW the 17 overseas players - Lloris, Aurier, Doherty, Sanchez, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguilon, Davies, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso, Lucas, Ndombele, Son, Bergwijn, Vinicius, Lamela)

Last edited:
Not sure why you think those players have to 'start matches on a regular basis'?

We need to have a squad who can field 2 sides to deal with the numbers of matches we play - look at the side who played Chelsea and side who will play LASK as an example.

Which means that with we ideally need 22 players plus a couple extra to cover the usual couple of injuries we have,,,,,so ergo we need say 24 or 35 players in the squad who can 'start matches on a regular basis'

So we cannot have too many inexperienced players in our 25 man squad - plenty of room for added under 21 year old players though.

Back
Top Bottom