January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can’t see this being a big window.
More outs than in’s and only the latter if a deal too good to be true falls in our lap.
With a 64 million pound loss last season and many payments in relation to our dealings over the last few years (38 million euro for Vinicius alone) due in the next season or so, can’t see us in a financial position to splurge.
On the other hand cash strapped clubs might be forced to sell so Lewis might put his hand in his pocket for once to get under priced assets.
Then again, when it comes to Spurs the only time Lewis reached into his pockets was to buy us ha.

:mourpointlaugh::mourglasses:

Ndombele was supposedly disliked and had "played his last" for the club just 4 months ago.

Its all bollocks, Sanchez will come back to the fore.
I've been significantly less than impressed with Sanchez's tenure at Spurs since basically the beginning, but kept my mouth shut because he was young and most defenders end up ironing out a lot of mistakes in their game over time, and so I didn't want to baselessly moan over a player.

But he's been a trainwreck for a long time and I've given up on thinking that he's going to be the rock that we had all hoped he might become.

I'd sell Sanchez in Jan and not look back if we could swap him for someone of a certain standard with a fresh start.

I thought he was good tbh.
He's still trying to do too much on the ball, and narrowly escaped several dangerous situations of his own manufacture. He didn't exactly get himself out of them either, rather he was fortunate on all those occasions not to lose possession that led to a goal.

Dier is good but is still learning how to be a safer, steadier CB. He's not all the way there yet to being a reliably safe senior CB in a CB pairing.

Instead of 55 for Skriniar, why not 65 on White and Sabitzer?
Because our entire summer transfer budget was about 65m, and the season before that we spent 170m. Thanks to COVID and no CL , we also made 65m loss in the last years. It's why Regui was the only "expensive" transfer at 27m.

We just don't have the money.

:levyeyes:

I have no idea what this actually means in terms of transfers, but it will add cost so probably can't be good for us...
I think it has more to do with youth level, where youngster would need to get qualified for British work permit like from other continent.

At first team level, there wouldn't be much change.

We need to have a squad who can field 2 sides to deal with the numbers of matches we play - look at the side who played Chelsea and side who will play LASK as an example.

Which means that with we ideally need 22 players plus a couple extra to cover the usual couple of injuries we have,,,,,so ergo we need say 24 or 35 players in the squad who can 'start matches on a regular basis'

So we cannot have too many inexperienced players in our 25 man squad - plenty of room for added under 21 year old players though.

We actually already have 25 players plus some u21s, some of which will start matches on a regular basis. None of this equates to 'home grown is a problem'?

Because our entire summer transfer budget was about 65m, and the season before that we spent 170m. Thanks to COVID and no CL , we also made 65m loss in the last years. It's why Regui was the only "expensive" transfer at 27m.

We just don't have the money.
Actually we do - in the latest accounts we had I believe our highest ever cash reserves at over 220m - much of that comes from a short term 125m government Covid loan, but it's still cash in the bank.

The idea that we pay 70m for a 70m player is very simplistic - deals are structured in stages over several years including split fees, bonuses, and appearance add-ons. A 70m transfer might only cost 35m upfront (and Levy is the master of buy-now-pay-later) so headlines saying Spurs had a "170m transfer window" are a bit misleading.

From a purely accounting aspect a 70m transfer will be amortised over the life of the contract so in simple terms 70m over 5 years will only show as 14m a year.

We are reporting a liability of 268m for "Trade and Other Payables" in our latest accounts, it's safe to assume that a proportion of that is transfer fees outstanding. It should be noted that we have 347m owed in "Trade and Other Payables" so we are well in-hand on that accounting line.

In the EPL, apart from the billionaire bankrolled clubs, we are probably the best placed to take advantage of 'cheap' players made available by clubs forced into sales to balance their books ...

FYI - we don't start a window with a fixed "budget" instead we have targets in terms of player types required - ie a 23-25 year old experienced home-grown CB - if the right player comes along that meets the criteria only then will we decide what we are willing to spend.

Last summer we did not anticipate all the signings we made, however when the opportunities arose to fill several of the transfer committee's agreed player criteria the money was found, it will be the same in January, nothing is expected but our eyes will be wide open.

Andre Onana arrived at Anfield with Ajax on Tuesday night looking to stake his claim for a Premier League move at the second time of asking.
Last February, Sportsmail reported the 24-year-old, valued at £40million-£50m, had dreams of joining Tottenham or Chelsea.

Andre Onana arrived at Anfield with Ajax on Tuesday night looking to stake his claim for a Premier League move at the second time of asking.
Last February, Sportsmail reported the 24-year-old, valued at £40million-£50m, had dreams of joining Tottenham or Chelsea.
The stake was not claimed

Actually we do - in the latest accounts we had I believe our highest ever cash reserves at over 220m - much of that comes from a short term 125m government Covid loan, but it's still cash in the bank.

The idea that we pay 70m for a 70m player is very simplistic - deals are structured in stages over several years including split fees, bonuses, and appearance add-ons. A 70m transfer might only cost 35m upfront (and Levy is the master of buy-now-pay-later) so headlines saying Spurs had a "170m transfer window" are a bit misleading.

From a purely accounting aspect a 70m transfer will be amortised over the life of the contract so in simple terms 70m over 5 years will only show as 14m a year.

We are reporting a liability of 268m for "Trade and Other Payables" in our latest accounts, it's safe to assume that a proportion of that is transfer fees outstanding. It should be noted that we have 347m owed in "Trade and Other Payables" so we are well in-hand on that accounting line.

In the EPL, apart from the billionaire bankrolled clubs, we are probably the best placed to take advantage of 'cheap' players made available by clubs forced into sales to balance their books ...

FYI - we don't start a window with a fixed "budget" instead we have targets in terms of player types required - ie a 23-25 year old experienced home-grown CB - if the right player comes along that meets the criteria only then will we decide what we are willing to spend.

Last summer we did not anticipate all the signings we made, however when the opportunities arose to fill several of the transfer committee's agreed player criteria the money was found, it will be the same in January, nothing is expected but our eyes will be wide open.
I'm fully aware of all that, aside from the significance of "trade and other payables". Even if a player's transfer fee is amortised over the life of the contract, that's still a financial commitment from the club. I know we didn't just give nearly 200m in cash to other clubs.

I do agree on the highlighted part, but the point is that another 65m to take this season's transfer spending to 15m, for us is not really cheap and opportunistic is it? I really don't see Levy splashing that much cash in Jan, no matter how good the deal might be.

He's been a good keeper for them for a while now to be fair. For some reason I thought he was 28/29.
Yes I agree, just commented on the article. His mistake yesterday caused the loss for Ajax. Also his name doesn't work for me. Onana is to close to onani. Onani in Swedish means masturbation.

Last edited:
We actually already have 25 players plus some u21s, some of which will start matches on a regular basis. None of this equates to 'home grown is a problem'?

If you look at our 25 man EL squad (with only 24 registered) it already includes Whiteman (professional debut playing 10 minutes last week) and Jack Clarke (yet to start a match) take just those 2 out and we are down to 22 players capable of starting matches.

Add in numerous posters wanting to sell Dele and Winks (both HG), and it starts to look even thinner of quality players capable of starting matches.

Will Bale get to a high level of playing so we keep him next season ? Still to be proved, but I hope so. If not its another gap in HG numbers,

Which is why, if anything, we need to :

1. Buy rather than sell HG players
2. Do all we can do to bring through academy youngsters - if we think they are good enough - such as Skipp, so we avoid needing to buy in 'squad' level players who often are no better than those brought through the academy.

So, in summary, the limited number of HG players Spurs have at the moment is a constraint, we cant afford to lose any experienced HG players (net), so likely we will need to sell overseas trained players to create space in the squad.

I'm fully aware of all that, aside from the significance of "trade and other payables". Even if a player's transfer fee is amortised over the life of the contract, that's still a financial commitment from the club. I know we didn't just give nearly 200m in cash to other clubs.

I do agree on the highlighted part, but the point is that another 65m to take this season's transfer spending to 15m, for us is not really cheap and opportunistic is it? I really don't see Levy splashing that much cash in Jan, no matter how good the deal might be.

Biggest problem I see in January is creating space in squad for more players - currently paying Gedson wages but not registered in any squad to play. Similarly Gazzaniga not playing. And rose paid but not playing.

Don't see Levy wanting to add to numbers on a 'pay but no play' basis, and not too many buyers for players we might want to sell or loan out.

If the 'right' player is available - decent price and wages, decent age etc. Maybe - but otherwise I think we will wait until summer fir transfer business.

Biggest problem I see in January is creating space in squad for more players - currently paying Gedson wages but not registered in any squad to play. Similarly Gazzaniga not playing. And rose paid but not playing.

Don't see Levy wanting to add to numbers on a 'pay but no play' basis, and not too many buyers for players we might want to sell or loan out.

If the 'right' player is available - decent price and wages, decent age etc. Maybe - but otherwise I think we will wait until summer fir transfer business.
Indeed, the winter window might be better used to offload some olayers like Gazzaniga with a view of adding in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom