January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ll take Bentancur as his profile fits the premier league and Conte’s system especially as he plays best in a 2 man midfield. He’s nothing incredible but would definitely be a better signing than Amrabat for that role.

I still think we should pull the plug on Kulusevski though, it will just hinder Bergwijn’s career here even more (and Bergwijn is better than him). He’s just not an upgrade and especially for a 30m future fee
Just about agree with you on not taking Kulu if that means there's a negative impact on Bergy.

But I totally disagree with you re Betancur. Every single one of my many Italian friends, most of whom are Juve fans, said he's an atrocious footballer, one of the worst CM they've ever had. And from the many, many games I've watched him play (Juve and Uruguay), I can only agree with them.

Are we going to have this slap stick thread ALL weekend who we WONT buy………
3-CAF70-AB-010-B-4-A97-8152-5-C4-A3-BE8-C3-A1.gif

I just don't see the point of this signing given we're keeping Winks, Skipp, and PEH.

Also I think we need to be a bit cautious with overrating Villa players. They have good strikers in Ings and Watkins. Good wide players in Buendia and Bailey. Ramsey is an exciting midfield prospect. Good CB pairing in Mings and Konsa. Good GK in Martinez.

And now people are saying they have a good holding midfielder in Luiz too? Something isn't adding up, if they have all these great individuals, why is their team's performances so mediocre (Gerrard's honeymoon period aside).

No idea. I’ve like Luiz for a few seasons that’s all. Man City used to have a buy back clause but I’m assuming that’s lapsed or else nobody is probably going to get him.

His contract will clearly state the role within the club he's employed for and the functions he's expected to perform, including training time. You cannot ask him to perform tasks and/or hours that exceed those that are reasonably expected of his peers who are contracted for the same role. That would be breach of contract and he'd be free to walk. Just like you can't move him to Lilywhite and park him in front of a computer doing data entry. Having someone under contract doesn't make them a circus animal you can force to do whatever you wish on a whim.

Of course, I'm being somewhat bloody-minded, but I'd be suprised that player contracts would be so catagoric about training hours.

Afterall, what about managers that dish out double-sessions as punishment for crap performances or general mentalists like Bielsa & Poch who train their players half to death?

Double-sessions of brute-exercise on his own; no ball-work... Mentally, the guy's a wimp.

Just about agree with you on not taking Kulu if that means there's a negative impact on Bergy.

But I totally disagree with you re Betancur. Every single one of my many Italian friends, most of whom are Juve fans, said he's an atrocious footballer, one of the worst CM they've ever had. And from the many, many games I've watched him play (Juve and Uruguay), I can only agree with them.
Really? Say the fans of the club who had Simone fucking Padoin on their books for like 10 years? Or the shambles that was Alberto Aquilani? Give over... please...

ok here is my take(hot or not) on the midfield merry-go-round. I have watched a fair bit of Zakaria, less of Bentancur and a fair bit of Luis. I genuinely think Luis is the best of the three. For a short time I felt the more dynamic Zakaria would be very special but he is not that technically great. He is a little bit well.... Sissoko.

I think Luis would seamlessly help our midfield. Whilst still leaving or main issues broken, lack of attacking wingback and a goalscorer short in attack.
Why don’t he just go for bisouma?

The Champions league in its current form started the same year as the Premier League, 1992.
Enic bough Spurs in 2001. For most of those 9 years it was the top 2, eventually the top 3 and ultimately the top 4 that got in.
Prior to that, the European Cup was for league winners only. And immediately Prior, English clubs were banned from all European competition.
So we're no better off because of ENIC.
There was no top 4 before them. We likely finished in the top 4 plenty of times but the prize was different so less recorded
Prior to Enic, the last time we'd finished top 4 was in 1990, finishing 3rd. Our highest league position after that and before they took control of the club was 7th.

Still would be better than Amrabat. And I agree that he is nothing special either. If it’s a permanent signing then I would be against it too. If it’s a loan like the Amrabat deal then might as well go for it

Back
Top Bottom