January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It probably will be a bit better. We’ve shown under Conte that with our best XI, we can play well and win games. As soon as you start to introduce reserve players, we disintegrate.

Agree

Lloris
Romero Dier Davies
Doherty Skipp Hojbjerg Bentancur Regulion
Son Kane

Doherty aside the rest of the players are good to ok. Soon as the likes of Skipp and Dier get pulled we get fucked.

At no point does he disagree with the ‘vision of the club’, tho - isn’t he just saying those are the parameters he’s working within and hinting that the success will take younger as he’ll be coaching inexperienced players? Not dissimilar to his asking for patience from fans on Sunday?

(And it’s a translation so who knows what the nuances are)
Yep, you have a point too. Then again he's never going to bluntly say or imply he's not up to the ask of dealing with this particular type of philosophy. He's the sort of guy like Poch who will come out and say these things to hopefully send a message to the board, otherwise I think he would of avoided mentioning this issue, at least in public altogether.

Is he going to suddenly change the way he goes about managing a club and the duration of time he stays club to club with us? That's the big question on my mind. I have my doubts but obviously would be delighted if he wanted to stay 5+ years.

I can't help but love this guy for his brutal honesty and constructive criticism. When done in the right manner, it's exactly what needs to be done to induce permanent positive change at a club like ours when you're in a situation of constant underachievement like we are!

I particularly like what he said here below, he's bang on as usual and I hope raising this will inspire change in the club to integrate players who are ready made first team regulars who will lift us instantly rather than buying prospects that need a season or three... to really start firing on all cylinders.

The Italian added: "Bentancur and Kulusevski are ideal prospects for Tottenham, because Tottenham are seeking young players they can develop and grow, not players who are ready. That is the issue.

"This is the vision and the philosophy of the club. It is inevitable that, if you want to grow quicker and if you want to be competitive more rapidly, you need players with a lot of experience, because they also raise the experience level of the overall team.

"But I repeat, I have realised now that this is the vision of the club."
I completely disagree with Conte. We aren’t weakened in the January transfer window like he claims. He showed little interest in Ndombele, Lo Celso, Alli or Gil so to refer to them as “four important players for Tottenham” is disingenuous. He’s acting like we sold/loaned players who were starting in 75%+ games. There’s a good chance that the 2 players brought in will rack up more minutes than the 4 players who left this season.

The point about speed of change is fair and if he had limited his comments to age profile then he might be onto something. If the point is just you need some more leadership and experience in the squad instead of only targeting young players with potential then I could get on board. But this comes across as deflection. You’ve lost three games on the bounce with players who are good enough to do better so focus on your job Mr Conte.

I completely disagree with Conte. We aren’t weakened in the January transfer window like he claims. He showed little interest in Ndombele, Lo Celso, Alli or Gil so to refer to them as “four important players for Tottenham” is disingenuous. He’s acting like we sold/loaned players who were starting in 75%+ games. There’s a good chance that the 2 players brought in will rack up more minutes than the 4 players who left this season.

The point about speed of change is fair and if he had limited his comments to age profile then he might be onto something. If the point is just you need some more leadership and experience in the squad instead of only targeting young players with potential then I could get on board. But this comes across as deflection. You’ve lost three games on the bounce with players who are good enough to do better so focus on your job Mr Conte.

He also:

- Said our squad is "more complete" after deadline day.
- Banished Ndombele & GLC.

....So at best he's contradicting himself and his actions.

Now maybe there's a deeper reason for this, but it's funny how so few jumped on any of above with the same vigor isn't it?

He also:

- Said our squad is "more complete" after deadline day.
- Banished Ndombele & GLC.

....So at best he's contradicting himself and his actions.

Now maybe there's a deeper reason for this, but it's funny how so few jumped on any of above with the same vigor isn't it?
Yes exactly. There are a lot of narratives and this is not helped by Conte saying everything and it’s opposite.

I thought we learned that his quote was poorly translated and they weren't as bad as they seem so why are we going on about him being unhappy?

Because those quotes clearly fucking show he's not happy. It's a direct criticism. Every single reputable media outlet is reporting as such, why are you trying so hard to launch this North Korea esque propaganda narrative out that he was misquoted and what he was actually saying was he's fucking delighted with the way things went?

I thought we learned that his quote was poorly translated and they weren't as bad as they seem so why are we going on about him being unhappy?
You can read the translated quotes, they're not really as headline worthy as the small world of Tottenham news aggregation would have you believe. He's been a bit dour the last while, the limitations of a large number in our squad obviously puts a ceiling on what he's capable of this season. I doubt he expected the technical incompetence to be as glaring as it is. I personally don't think it changes much, he'll expect significant money to be spent in the summer, he'll want rid of several, if we don't enter next season with 4/5 new starters(+some competent backups) I don't think he'll be at all happy.

Because those quotes clearly fucking show he's not happy. It's a direct criticism. Every single reputable media outlet is reporting as such, why are you trying so hard to launch this North Korea esque propaganda narrative out that he was misquoted and what he was actually saying was he's fucking delighted with the way things went?

It's also a "direct" contradiction of a number of things he's done and said.......

At best, there's a deeper more nuanced motive here than "Roaaaaaar!!! Cunt Levy".

....Very few seem to be interested in exploring that though.

It's also a "direct" contradiction of a number of things he's done and said.......

At best, there's a deeper more nuanced motive here than "Roaaaaaar!!! Cunt Levy".

....Very few seem to be interested in exploring that though.

Seems to me he was towing the line before but his frustrations have built and he couldn't help but air some criticisms.

I don't think you're disagreeing with Conte. I think you're disagreeing with the media perception of what Conte said.
He said "on paper we're weaker" and that was because we have less papers.
Read between the lines and what he says is those players were of no use to us.

Seems to me he was towing the line before but his frustrations have built and he couldn't help but air some criticisms.

.......If so, then things may be worse than we thought; cos that suggests he's not the straight-talking, no-nonsense badass everyone made him out to be.

In which case; meh.... He'd be just another political whinger who prefers to stick around and grind the club, players and fans down in the media in order to preserve a a severance pay-out(*).

(*Of course this is hypothetical; but note: by contrast, if Bielsa ain't happy he walks.)

.......What happened to "I'm happy here; I just need patience" & "the squad is more complete".......?

Maybe he feels being fans doesn't = patience?

(Again; just hypothetical.)

.......If so, then things may be worse than we thought; cos that suggests he's not the straight-talking, no-nonsense badass everyone made him out to be.

In which case; meh.... He'd be just another political whinger who prefers to stick around and grind the club, players and fans down in the media in order to preserve a a severance pay-out(*).

(*Of course this is hypothetical; but note: by contrast, if Bielsa ain't happy he walks.)

.......What happened to "I'm happy here; I just need patience" & "the squad is more complete".......?

Maybe he feels being fans doesn't = patience?

(Again; just hypothetical.)

I mean if that’s the case then not meh.. as the club would’ve wasted more time and resources on an unsuitable manager and again would have to start from scratch. We also would have a DoF who played a big role in bringing in two poor choices. So whether he’s being fucked over or he’s being whiny, it’s yet more incompetence.

Bielsa is a fucking nutjob.

He’s definitely said a lot of contrasting shit. Maybe it depends on his mood or how he felt the last discussion went. Maybe these recent results are making him less inclined towards being positive. Maybe he is genuinely pretty happy and what he’s said is just Conte doing Conte stuff and trying to keep the board on their toes.

I guess we won’t know until next season.

Here we go again with the "thats not what he meant" bollocks, heard it for years with Poch, its pretty evident Conte wasn't happy with our transfer window

"Then precise choices were made for many reasons, but I certainly never expected that in January four players who I still considered important would change their shirts for a thousand reasons. This shows the difficulty."

"It is inevitable that if you want to grow faster and if you want to be competitive more quickly you need players with a lot of experience, because they also lead to an increase in experience in your team.

I mean if that’s the case then not meh.. as the club would’ve wasted more time and resources on an unsuitable manager and again would have to start from scratch. We also would have a DoF who played a big role in bringing in two poor choices. So whether he’s being fucked over or he’s being whiny, it’s yet more incompetence.

"Meh" in terms of the reverence that has been bestowed on Conte since he was first rumoured in the summer.

(You really don't think I'm indifferent to the club having management struggles do you?)

Bielsa is a fucking nutjob.

In some way perhaps.... A man of principal in others.... You don't think the likes of Jose, Conte & Poch are all rich enough to be at liberty to walk too?

He’s definitely said a lot of contrasting shit. Maybe it depends on his mood or how he felt the last discussion went. Maybe these recent results are making him less inclined towards being positive. Maybe he is genuinely pretty happy and what he’s said is just Conte doing Conte stuff and trying to keep the board on their toes.

I guess we won’t know until next season.

Yep.....

In the meantime, I would prefer that he focussed on results and saved all this political shite for private chats with Levy & Fab.

A big red flag regarding our scouting is the lack of consistency throughout our targets, we clearly don't look at the side/squad and identify a type of player to look for, we are entirely reactionary and dependant on opportunities arising for us.

We need a right wingback, so the club attempts a move for an erratic winger at Wolves to shoehorn into the role, coincidentally his contract was winding down.

We attempt to sign a pacy winger/forward in Diaz who generally plays on the left, and when that falls through is our alternative remotely similar? No, it's Kulusevski, a one (no) paced left footer who generally plays on the right, who coincidentally Juve can't wait to get rid of.

Does anyone at the club have an ounce of common sense? It's as though the scouting department have just gone on football manager and filtered the transfer targets as AM(R/L), without bothering to go the extra mile and filter attributes too...

A big red flag regarding our scouting is the lack of consistency throughout our targets, we clearly don't look at the side/squad and identify a type of player to look for, we are entirely reactionary and dependant on opportunities arising for us.

We need a right wingback, so the club attempts a move for an erratic winger at Wolves to shoehorn into the role, coincidentally his contract was winding down.

We attempt to sign a pacy winger/forward in Diaz who generally plays on the left, and when that falls through is our alternative remotely similar? No, it's Kulusevski, a one (no) paced left footer who generally plays on the right, who coincidentally Juve can't wait to get rid of.

Does anyone at the club have an ounce of common sense? It's as though the scouting department have just gone on football manager and filtered the transfer targets as AM(R/L), without bothering to go the extra mile and filter attributes too...

Re: Kulu - Many here would have sworn we needed a RW to challenge improve upon Lucas and a player that can add creativity from central areas.... It's not as random as peeps want to make out. He was linked as early as November so there's a strong posibility it wasn't a case of Kulu vs Diaz.

Diaz..... I suspect it was opportunism; but the flipside is that people would also complain that we didn't seize opportunity when it comes to seizing highly rated layers when their availability presents itself.

RB: Was never convinced that he was the answer; but am at a loss that we couldn't have scouted a couple of proper RWBs if that position was high on our agenda.

No your wrong he is correct the points and performance against Liverpool highlighted this. How ever scant his intrest in Ndombele Locelso Dele,they were useful in an emergency . No one rational uses their utter lack of intrest in their fire extinguisher 99.9% of the time as reason to dispense with it. I said it at the time Levy's triumph over the fan base was people talking about the wage bill when we markedly weaken the playing options the coach had. I fear for this fan base its been completely gaslight!!!

But your point about deflection on the back of defeats that he tactically has some culpability in is well made.

Back
Top Bottom