January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People will talk about g/a but with or without Adama, Wolves are struggling to score. They're one of the lowest scoring teams in the whole league. Adama nearly always looks their most dangerous when he plays.
I don't think you can blame Adama's lack of G/A on Wolves. It has got so bad that he's been dropped from their first XI, they start Hwang Jimenez Trincao now.

I think people criticising is end product are right, but what they're not taking into account is that RWB is a much easier role going forward. Adama normally gets double marked for Wolves, but if teams do that vs a RWB, our attackers then get a serious advantage.

I broadly agree.

One thing I would say is that last game I watched with Wolves (think it was against Leeds), he put two chances on a plate and they fluffed their lines.
He has the raw talent but has never worked with someone like Conte. Personally, I think would cause loads of trouble against any team in the PL if used properly.

Just a general article in The Graun, nothing really revelatory. Hytner writing a lot about us these last few weeks.
Focus is bergwijn has had interest not just from Ajax but Spanish, German and Italian clubs;
Levy needs to learn to take a loss, especially in these times;
Paratici's time at Juventus was rather than not take a loss of a few million, but to 'pay and move on'
and can Paratici un-Levy Levy

I don't think you can blame Adama's lack of G/A on Wolves. It has got so bad that he's been dropped from their first XI, they start Hwang Jimenez Trincao now.

He was in and out a bunch last season too.....

This season:

Wolves 18 EPL / 2 LC games
AT played 17 / 2 LC > 1063 mins out of a possible 1800.

AVG 53 per game.

Last 3 games 67, 74, 11.

I think people criticising is end product are right, but what they're not taking into account is that RWB is a much easier role going forward. Adama normally gets double marked for Wolves, but if teams do that vs a RWB, our attackers then get a serious advantage.

RW or RWB... Not much diff. in that respect.... He still has to get the ball to the next man sooner or later cos he isn't turning into Robben any time soon.

RWB just means more yards per game and more defensive responsibility and from what I recall of him at WB in the past he isn't very good in the defensive 3rd.

Last edited:

Yeah, and they struggle to score! Regardless of which front 3 they go with they seem to be poor going forward. Not saying Adama's lack of G/A is ENTIRELY down to Wolves (he definitely has issues of his own in that department..) but they're a team who seem to be regularly firing blanks no matter who starts.

Why that is, I don't know. Maybe the ghost of Nuno's football still haunts them.

Yeah, and they struggle to score! Regardless of which front 3 they go with they seem to be poor going forward. Not saying Adama's lack of G/A is ENTIRELY down to Wolves (he definitely has issues of his own in that department..) but they're a team who seem to be regularly firing blanks no matter who starts.

Why that is, I don't know. Maybe the ghost of Nuno's football still haunts them.

I haven't seen as much of them in the more recent qtr of the season, but their new gaffa was getting praise for being more attacking than Nuno..... If so, then surely once's got to ask questions of the weaponry at his disposal?

Does Traore have any defensive awareness?

tumblr_mr97dnvI8j1sewcjpo1_400.gif

Just a general article in The Graun, nothing really revelatory. Hytner writing a lot about us these last few weeks.
Focus is bergwijn has had interest not just from Ajax but Spanish, German and Italian clubs;
Levy needs to learn to take a loss, especially in these times;
Paratici's time at Juventus was rather than not take a loss of a few million, but to 'pay and move on'
and can Paratici un-Levy Levy

Good read.

"The starting point for Paratici is that sales will be vital to the size of the budget. Conte has always been aware of this."

Ok, I think this is pretty offensive.

There's nothing really saying Adama is dumb. Adama is strong, sure, but just because he has no end product doesn't make him dumb.

So it's a stereotype given to strong men generally that is pretty uncalled for, in my opinion.
It’s a shocking post and borderline racist but it’s to be expected from that particular poster

Last edited:
Id love Adama as an option at rwb. When we need a goal or expect to be on top, he will be a real weapon, when we are looking to be more solid we play Emerson. The amount of one on ones out wide this system sets up is perfect for him.

He is also quite possibly the spursiest non spurs player i can think of. He belongs here

Just thinking if Adama is that valuable and dangerous why hasn't he already been signed by one of the top clubs? What would be holding them back? Is it the asking price/already have equal or better players in the same position/have other higher priority to fill?

I imagine this is what many said about Mousa Dembele before he signed for Spurs, an attacking midfielder who wasn't some young prospect but only boasted 2 goals and 2 assists in 33 appearances. We took him on, we found the role that his ability to shield and carry the ball made him key in, and then all our fans understood his worth.

G/a are important, but some players are there to help the most productive players thrive. Eriksen wouldn't have been as good without Dembele sucking in players and resisting any press. Traore doing the same but as a bombarding wing back or even a more supporting forward to help Kane/Son is mouthwatering IF we get it right.
Agree with the point re g/a but come on, Dembele never gave the ball away…. He was solid and consistent. Appreciate they play in different positions but Adama has none of those traits

I honestly see more potential in Bergwin as a ball carrying wing back than the erratic Traore

Good luck prizing Raphinha away from Leeds for less than 60/70m... Adama running his contract down would be more like 30. Maddison is inconsistent at best but Leicester still probably demand 50 for him, they wanted a shit load from Woolwich only last summer.

Adama for 30 is a punt on a player with all the tools that a manager like Conte may be able to unlock. If he gives the nod I don't know why fans wouldn't be excited, it shows he has faith he can work with him, and an Adama being utilised correctly would be a fearsome prospect.

Raphinha at £60m is so much more of a better transfer than Traore at £30m. Raphinha is a proper footballer who can do so many more aspects of the game. They are chalk and cheese in ability and what they can produce on a football pitch. Raphinha and Son in the same team would be sensational.

Ok, I think this is pretty offensive.

There's nothing really saying Adama is dumb. Adama is strong, sure, but just because he has no end product doesn't make him dumb.

So it's a stereotype given to strong men generally that is pretty uncalled for, in my opinion.

I'm offended that you'd not understand that it was a metaphor chosen to reflect upon the question of his defensive ability; not his intelligence.

My concern with Traore is that his output can be so variable. Consistency is key at this level. We can’t afford the luxury of a player who can be a 10 one week and then disappear the next. Conte needs players who will all play the system and be a 7 plus. Maybe there’s an argument for a player like Adama on the bench to be used as an impact player, but I just can’t see a 38-game league strategy being built around players like him - there’s just too much jeopardy for the top end of elite sport.

So the question is, do we want to pay £30m plus for a super sub?

Back
Top Bottom