January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Man City spends alot of money but they don't get enough credit for their strategy. They identify specific players they want, they get them one season early (before there is a gaping hole in the position), and generally they get them early in the window because they aren't wasting their time playing the deals.
It’s boring and terrible for the sport, but yes, the City machine is outclassing everybody in terms of scouting and squad construction entirely separate from their resource advantage.

Full credit to Liverpool chasing them down with a magnificent team, but now the PL is really just waiting for Pep to leave, it sucks.

God we do business so stupid. Good teams identify players they want and get them. What is the point in waiting till the end of the window? The fact that you have multiple players and juggle them around to find the best deal just highlights the fact that we are going after deals and not players. 5 million here and there doesn't matter if it's not the right player. Man City spends alot of money but they don't get enough credit for their strategy. They identify specific players they want, they get them one season early (before there is a gaping hole in the position), and generally they get them early in the window because they aren't wasting their time playing the deals.
I mean our transfer strategy is terrible, but we can't copy Man City's strategy which is basically "be owned by an oil rich government".

They can afford to spend 41m on Nathan Ake then only have him play 18 times in 18 months. They can afford to spend 100m on Grealish and let him have a year to settle. We can't.

The deals at the end of the window make more financial sense for clubs because they tend to be cheaper.
Plus loans always seem to get agreed quite late on (often on deadline day) which is our most likely path to getting rid of the deadwood.

This Traore deal seems to be taking excruciatingly long though. I get the haggling but what might the actual cost of dragging it out be if he would have been, at the very least, a useful impact sub in these January fixtures? Might the difference between 4th and 5th be decided here?
:contearms:

What's a transfer?
Tattoo-Transfer-Paper.jpg

Plus loans always seem to get agreed quite late on (often on deadline day) which is our most likely path to getting rid of the deadwood.

This Traore deal seems to be taking excruciatingly long though. I get the haggling but what might the actual cost of dragging it out be if he would have been, at the very least, a useful impact sub in these January fixtures? Might the difference between 4th and 5th be decided here?
:contearms:

It's taken long becuase Wolves were waiting on getting a replacement player in which they have now and I assume that if Traore wasn't cup tied in the Carabao and FA maybe things would have been pushed along a bit quicker.

Every club in the world bar the oil clubs are looking for deals because every club tries to run a sustainable, profitble business, everyone waits until the last minute because that's when clubs, agents and players are desperate and more money is going around, it's a waiting game.

Last edited:
I mean our transfer strategy is terrible, but we can't copy Man City's strategy which is basically "be owned by an oil rich government".

They can afford to spend 41m on Nathan Ake then only have him play 18 times in 18 months. They can afford to spend 100m on Grealish and let him have a year to settle. We can't.
Ake’s a fair shout, though despite the price he was only ever there to make up the HGP numbers, a la Fabian Delph.

You look at their list of highest transfer fees and the only disaster is Benjamin Mendy. Everybody delivers and provides them with a high quality option that fits what they do, even at their incredibly high level.

Chelsea and United and Woolwich and god help us Spurs have also made a number of big money signings, but the success rate is totally different.

City have never once made a Davinson Sanchez or Lo Celso type move for a player who just doesn’t have the quality to be a difference maker (Mendy’s problems are not that). Nor have they gotten into Pogba or Di Maria or Alexis Sanchez or or or type situations where they just can’t extract what a player has. City flipped Leroy Sane for a profit before that situation arose.

They don’t miss.

Who’s at fault for Spurs not signing a player:
> football agents
> market inflation
> coronavirus
> stadium debt
> signing fees
> Bin Laden
> Trump
> Putin
> climate change
> Arteta

Who’s NOT at fault
> Levy

Haven't we signed for £350M since 2019? The problem isn't the money we splash, but the crap we splash it on. What teams have had bigger transfer budgets the last 3 seasons?

Clarke
Sessegnon
Bergwijn
Hojbjerg
Vinicius (loan, sucked)
Gedson (loan, sucked)
Bale (not a transfer but I bet we paid pretty much, and got a few goals, but no effort)
Ndombele
LoCelso
Doherty
Gollini (loan but bad scouting)
Højbjerg (playing a lot but would he in any other top 4 candidate)
Gil (jury's still out)
Sarr (on the bench at Metz)
Romero (mostly traveling and injured, can become good)
Emerson (well, I don't know, not the greatest crosses)

Who did I forget?
I agree with most of what you wrote .... but Pape Sarr has started 13 (+ 5 games as a sub) out of18 games for Metz so far this season; so not what I would call a bench player.

Are Hojbjerg and Højbjerg 2 different players...? 🤔 😁

City’s ten most expensive transfers: Grealish, Rodri, Dias, Mahrez, Cancelo, Laporte, De Bruyne, Mendy, Walker, Stones

Total Price: 602.1M

Chelsea’s ten most expensive transfers: Lukaku, Kepa, Havertz, Morata, Pulisic, Jorginho, Torres, Chilwell, Werner, Bakayoko, Kovacic

Total Price: 640.7M

United’s ten most expensive transfers: Pogba, Maguire, Lukaku, Sancho, Di Maria, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, Fernandes, Matic, Mata

Total Price: 598.1M

Right there is the story of the Premier League the past 5 years.

A serious attacking target at least, the level of player we should be aiming for, good outlet reporting it, but lots of competition for the player.

Calvin Ramsay (Aberdeen) is again linked to Spurs...

Only real problem is that having been trained by club affiliated to the Scottish FA he'll be classed as an 'Overseas trained' player under uefa rules as he became 18 on 31 July 2003 and will never qualify as HG - and whilst its no problem to fill overseas trained player slots, we have a shortage of top class HG players.

Back
Top Bottom