January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why havent superstar footballers Djed Spence and Adama Traore not joined us yet?

Because if we leave it to the last day, allegedly they are "better deals"

Austin_Powers_-_Mike_Myers_Dr_Evil_1697x720-1200x628.jpg

I guess we’ve gotta take these transfer rumours with a pinch of salt. A two minute search was all it took to reveal that we are currently linked with Traore, DJed Spence, Jordan Veretout, Jonathan David, Dembele, Dybala, Vlahovic, Lingard and Kessie and I am sure there are many others. It’s just lazy/lying journalism. In fact we get linked with everyone to the point that I reckon that if the press found out Heather from Eastenders or Roland Browning from Grange Hill had got a pair of boots for Christmas we’d probably be linked with them as well. Utter farce

City’s ten most expensive transfers: Grealish, Rodri, Dias, Mahrez, Cancelo, Laporte, De Bruyne, Mendy, Walker, Stones

Total Price: 602.1M

Chelsea’s ten most expensive transfers: Lukaku, Kepa, Havertz, Morata, Pulisic, Jorginho, Torres, Chilwell, Werner, Bakayoko, Kovacic

Total Price: 640.7M

United’s ten most expensive transfers: Pogba, Maguire, Lukaku, Sancho, Di Maria, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, Fernandes, Matic, Mata

Total Price: 598.1M

Right there is the story of the Premier League the past 5 years.
Fuck me, ten players each averaging about £60million. That's a lot of money.

I agree with most of what you wrote .... but Pape Sarr has started 13 (+ 5 games as a sub) out of18 games for Metz so far this season; so not what I would call a bench player.

Are Hojbjerg and Højbjerg 2 different players...? 🤔 😁
Ok. Didn't realize that with Sarr, good to hear. About Højbjerg, clearly he lives rent free in my head.

And for those who complain about Lo Celso always being injured but want Bale at Spurs...

Yep good point. 4 months out on 300 hundred thousand pounds per week or whatever it is and they could not sell him.

You got to think Real Madrid are best served severing his contract by mutual agreement.

The bloke has however been utterly brilliant outside of his lengthy injuries.

So the Lo Celso comparison ends right there.

Was largely injury free at Spurs to be fair and he’s still twice the player Lo Celso is I’m afraid
I did not compare them as players - just comparing their injury records.
Bale is a Spurs legend, and one can't blame him for wanting to leave Spurs for Rea M - where he, together Modric, won 4 CL trophies.

Yeah because it makes total sense for clubs that are very reluctant to sell their players in January (well I keep seeing that from the Levy loverboys) to sell in the last few fucking days..... FOR CHEAPER
Lol...

Don't worry in the last few days the narrative will change to we can't buy anyone because it is too late in the window and there isn't time for teams to replace the guys they are selling.

It’s boring and terrible for the sport, but yes, the City machine is outclassing everybody in terms of scouting and squad construction entirely separate from their resource advantage.

Full credit to Liverpool chasing them down with a magnificent team, but now the PL is really just waiting for Pep to leave, it sucks.

Agree about City making the PL a non-event. Would be fascinating without them. Not sure how you can separate their resource advantage though. Having practically unlimited funds means you can get the players you want and need so much easier. It is truly cheat mode. Idk why there isn't much vitriol or national pressure to negate these sides. There was huge outcry for the few days when the SuperLeague was a thing, but not much when using oil money to buy titles.

Agree about City making the PL a non-event. Would be fascinating without them. Not sure how you can separate their resource advantage though. Having practically unlimited funds means you can get the players you want and need so much easier. It is truly cheat mode. Idk why there isn't much vitriol or national pressure to negate these sides. There was huge outcry for the few days when the SuperLeague was a thing, but not much when using oil money to buy titles.
I also don’t get why a player would go there over another club? Similar wages, but surely a competitor would love the challenge to drive another club forward. Whenever I’ve been played against people that are easier to beat, it loses its interest (doesn’t happen any more, mind you -lol). I prefer to be the underdog and have to really push to get anything out of it.

I also don’t get why a player would go there over another club? Similar wages, but surely a competitor would love the challenge to drive another club forward. Whenever I’ve been played against people that are easier to beat, it loses its interest (doesn’t happen any more, mind you -lol). I prefer to be the underdog and have to really push to get anything out of it.

Well winning titles is never easy. The players still only have two legs. It is a challenge, but yes you're 'on cheat mode' so the odds are pushed in your favour. As for players, wages and sign-on fees are probably the biggest draw. When you look for jobs, likewise you probably look at what you'll earn first. Then the company second. Knowing you're likely to win titles is not a drawback though, defiantly a pull too.

The only silver lining to Chelsea and City's dirty oil money buying success is arse, pool and united have been sidelined a little. But we may have picked up a title ourselves so, untimely, people with more money than they know what to do with buying teams, has been the greatest hindrance to our journey up the table. I'll still back us long term, as we have good setup now, and there are some controls on buying success, and there maybe more in the future.

Back
Top Bottom