January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's a very, very tenuous argument.

When you have a player of Kane's quality, you employ a system that utilises his strengths, or you use Kane in a way that utilises your system.

We can only drool over what we could have seen with Maddison and Kane in the same starting XI

But we don’t have Kane and after selling him decided to go in a different direction.

It’s been a decent start to that direction as well.

You have a point that we didn’t bring in a ready now, marquee forward and we still need one.

Very much so.

Son as the nine, with Johnson as the expensive investment as wide forward.

And that’s why I’m worried about how he’s playing. But that’s a different discussion and all we can do is wait and hope he gets better.

We are still short of a game changing forward in the summer. And it’s not Timo Werner. If the club are serious about winning things and not wheeling Ange out to talk about it with the conviction that he has, they need to back him with a LWF that can win games this summer

We are still short of a game changing forward in the summer. And it’s not Timo Werner. If the club are serious about winning things and not wheeling Ange out to talk about it with the conviction that he has, they need to back him with a LWF that can win games this summer
We invested Kanes transfer fee in that player already, Solomon

We have literally scored more goal without Kane, why are folk still arguing that we should have direcly replaced him which was virtually impossible anyway?

This place man smh 😆

As if we’d somehow be worse if we had Kane up front in this exact system instead of Richarlison lol. Arguing that Ange’s system is better than having Kane is a false equivalence. Stop blaming Kane for being an amazing player with shit managers around him the past few years.

Ange’s system with Kane would be the ideal.

The guy bagged 4 goals in a preseason game. We’d be flying attack wise with him in the team.
Blame Kane for being an amazing player? WTF are you on about??

What I was responding to was posters who are asking where the Kane replacement is and pointed out that, even though he is gone and we have not replaced him like-for-like, we are actually scoring more. How many more we would score with him is an entirely different story and not the topic of this conversation.

Jeez...

24 years old, guaranteed goals you say ...

128807c16af6b8654b7145d10011a7ff-61606-oooz0000.jpeg

Scored 10 league goals in Italy last season... How the hell is that 20 "guaranteed" EPL goals per season??????

Last edited:
We have literally scored more goal without Kane, why are folk still arguing that we should have direcly replaced him which was virtually impossible anyway?

This place man smh 😆

We’ve scored more goals because we’ve manoeuvred from low-risk football to high risk football.

You could lose a star CB and still concede less with system changes. Wouldn’t mean you aren’t losing out on the individual quality or that you wouldn’t benefit from replacing that individual.

I’d be much more interested in looking at how we’re doing xG vs actual goals and how many good situations (created by a system) are wasted by individual profligacy you wouldn’t get from Kane compared to Johnson or Werner.

Son is now our only forward I really have any faith in during a lot of situations and he’s 31. Not ideal.

I do like him, but see your point.

He’d be a lovely little pick-up if he was on a free or ran his contract down but for any major money you’re paying the PL tax for a good but not great footballer.

I like him as well, fun to watch and he scares defenders which I do think we lack.

We’ve scored more goals because we’ve manoeuvred from low-risk football to high risk football.

You could lose a star CB and still concede less with system changes. Wouldn’t mean you aren’t losing out on the individual quality or that you wouldn’t benefit from replacing that individual.

I’d be much more interested in looking at how we’re doing xG vs actual goals and how many good situations (created by a system) are wasted by individual profligacy you wouldn’t get from Kane compared to Johnson or Werner.

Son is now our only forward I really have any faith in during a lot of situations and he’s 31. Not ideal.

Indeed so the decision not to replace Kane with an out and out forward was entirely justified then.

5 G & 5 A in a half season loan will have been job done on Werner's part.... Anything more would be a bonus..... And even then; that's on the basis that he starts a lot of those games.
That would be 10G + 10A across an entire season. There's only a handful of players that put up such numbers and they don't come cheaper than £60 million.

Back
Top Bottom