January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Indeed so the decision not to replace Kane with an out and out forward was entirely justified then.

I think it was justified because a) we’d struggle to attract a top tier one at the time and b) they don’t really exist.

If we get CL football with Ange (looks eminently possible) I’d like to see a forward who moves the needle come in. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a CF but our forward line needs more quality and we need to do some future planning round Son.

He's played 15 games for us ffs. People were slagging Porro too after 15 games and that didn't turn out too bad.

Talk about no fucking patience!
I would expect some improvement in 15 games plus training sessions. I just don't think almost mil is his true worth
And I am probably the most patient person I know....can't afford to rush or get excited in my business....

I do agree with the broader point, but switching styles doesn’t change the fact that you have to recruit to the same standard.

It’s true that you can’t replace Kane. But we need wide men that are of an equivalent standard or, at the very least, reasonably effective. It’s just shifting the focus from the nine/ten to the wide forwards.

What’s surprised me this season is how well Son has done. I mean, it’s obviously not surprised me that much as he’s fantastic. But I thought he would need Kane more.
What does that even mean? Do you really think we are not trying to recruit at the highest standard possible? We may have not brought in a generational talent like Kane (and you say it like it is so easy to do, but we haven't done it), but we have recruited the likes of Van de Ven, Udogie, Porro, Maddison, Sarr, Romero, Vicario, to name a few. Maybe none of them will reach Kane's level, but it's not exactly a low standard either.

You're talking out your bottom again matey.

FxruS-aWcAE84Mw.jpg:large

You'll be telling us Forbes is an unreliable source, next. . :harrylol:

I'll spell it out for you

Most P. R. O. F. I. T. A. B. L. E
Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

We’ve scored more goals because we’ve manoeuvred from low-risk football to high risk football.

You could lose a star CB and still concede less with system changes. Wouldn’t mean you aren’t losing out on the individual quality or that you wouldn’t benefit from replacing that individual.

I’d be much more interested in looking at how we’re doing xG vs actual goals and how many good situations (created by a system) are wasted by individual profligacy you wouldn’t get from Kane compared to Johnson or Werner.

Son is now our only forward I really have any faith in during a lot of situations and he’s 31. Not ideal.
Whilst you have a valid point, it's worth remembering that Kane had a low conversion rate, particularly when compared to Son.

All that being said, only a fool would say we'd not have a higher GPG with Kane playing.

I'd love to have seen what he could do within this system, but he made his choice. I wouldn't be surprised to find out he regrets it.

As if we’d somehow be worse if we had Kane up front in this exact system instead of Richarlison lol. Arguing that Ange’s system is better than having Kane is a false equivalence. Stop blaming Kane for being an amazing player with shit managers around him the past few years.

Ange’s system with Kane would be the ideal.

The guy bagged 4 goals in a preseason game. We’d be flying attack wise with him in the team.

It wouldn’t be ideal for Kane though.

He wants to drop the areas that Maddison plays in.
Scoring 4 goals in a pre season game means only that. It doesn’t mean we’d a top 2/3 pressing team in the prem if he was here instead of Son and Richy playing 9

That's a very, very tenuous argument.

When you have a player of Kane's quality, you employ a system that utilises his strengths, or you use Kane in a way that utilises your system.

We can only drool over what we could have seen with Maddison and Kane in the same starting XI
Somehow I doubt Ange would have changed his system to suit Kane. And I'm not sure how a 30-year old Kane would work in this system, where the striker needs to be pressing like mad the entire game.

Very much so.

Son as the nine, with Johnson as the expensive investment as wide forward.

And that’s why I’m worried about how he’s playing. But that’s a different discussion and all we can do is wait and hope he gets better.
He's only played 15 games and in lineups that are constantly changing. Some patience, for goodness sake!

Back
Top Bottom