Japhet Tanganga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The problem he has with being a cb is his height. I just can't ever see him being dominant in the air.

I also don't think his positioning is very good. He seems to be caught out a fair bit. This hopefully will improve with time but it is not at the requisite level for a centre half

His pace and power do however make him dominant in duels and he is surprisingly good at dribbling. I think a defensive right back is the only way I can see him getting into our side in the next two seasons.
His height isn't that small and you can be very tall and poor in the air or vice versa. Height doesn't just correlate with ariel success, you have to have a good leap etc.

I'll compare him to another Tottenham player Cameron Carter-Vickers. The guy wins so many of his ariel duels at Bournemouth and he's slightly smaller than Tanganga. Just need to be good in the air.

He has more qualities of a CB than a RB imo.

His height isn't that small and you can be very tall and poor in the air or vice versa. Height doesn't just correlate with ariel success, you have to have a good leap etc.

I'll compare him to another Tottenham player Cameron Carter-Vickers. The guy wins so many of his ariel duels at Bournemouth and he's slightly smaller than Tanganga. Just need to be good in the air.

He has more qualities of a CB than a RB imo.
Yeah this is true I guess. My main qualms are his positioning and until he sorts it I dont feel comfortable with him at cb in a 2 against anyone half decent. On the right side of a 3 might be best for him

I'll stand on this hill.
Japhet Tanganga is not a RB.

If Doherty put in the performances Tanganga put in at RB we'd be slandering him.

Japhet doesn't have any attacking instinct. He can progress the ball well and his defending is great BUT his attacking is nowhere near what is required to be a RB just look at Reguilon for example on the other side.

Japhet rarely gets into the final 3rd and I can only remember about 2 crosses he's ever produced from the RB position.
But both Doherty and Reguillon are shit at defending . Its good to have a fullback that can defend first.

I'll stand on this hill.
Japhet Tanganga is not a RB.

If Doherty put in the performances Tanganga put in at RB we'd be slandering him.

Japhet doesn't have any attacking instinct. He can progress the ball well and his defending is great BUT his attacking is nowhere near what is required to be a RB just look at Reguilon for example on the other side.

Japhet rarely gets into the final 3rd and I can only remember about 2 crosses he's ever produced from the RB position.

For me a bit like Foyth we're just putting square pegs in round holes. I rate Japhet but at CB and not RB.

Saying that against ur man City's where we are just going to defend and don't really need a RB threat then yeah start Japhet . But in every other game its gotta be a real RB.
He's a better RB currently than either of the clownshoes Doherty and Aurier

But both Doherty and Reguillon are shit at defending . Its good to have a fullback that can defend first.
I disagree.

Reguilon is a good defender granted he's been a bit dodgy past month but he's a good defender.

What we have with Tanganga is clearly a CB playing at RB . Defensively solid but no attacking instinct.

Top 6 team FB's the attacking instinct is more important imo as that's how a lot of their teams build attacks. Eg. Look at trent.

Is he though?

If Doherty or Aurier played like he did we'd be slating them.

I agree that he is a CB playing RB and his future should be at CB unless he is able significantly increase his attacking ability, but I do think he has been better than Aurier and Doherty, especially recently in the games we have played against lower level teams in which his stability is more valuable than the other two guys bone head mistakes and terrible defense.

I do think that if we want to beat the better teams we will need more out of our RB, and in those games Tanganga will likely not be good enough, but for now he has been fine.

I agree that he is a CB playing RB and his future should be at CB unless he is able significantly increase his attacking ability, but I do think he has been better than Aurier and Doherty, especially recently in the games we have played against lower level teams in which his stability is more valuable than the other two guys bone head mistakes and terrible defense.

I do think that if we want to beat the better teams we will need more out of our RB, and in those games Tanganga will likely not be good enough, but for now he has been fine.
I sort of see it the other way round. Against better teams where we will sit back we need our RB too be defensively solid and not make any mistakes.

Against worse teams where we need thrust down the side we need our Rb to be attacking. That's why he bought off Tanganga v West Ham when we needed goals.

I sort of see it the other way round. Against better teams where we will sit back we need our RB too be defensively solid and not make any mistakes.

Against worse teams where we need thrust down the side we need our Rb to be attacking. That's why he bought off Tanganga v West Ham when we needed goals.

To me that means we are holding on and hoping for luck against big teams. If we have no threat against them on the right side we are so easy to defend. That works against Villa, WBA, Sheffield United because we have so much more talent that we create without having a threat and they can only really threaten us if we have the kind of shit defending/dumb mistakes that Aurier and Doherty love.

Any of the 3 are likely to be overwhelmed by the top teams, as even Tanganga is not a good enough defender at RB to handle the top guys in the leauge, so at least with Doherty and Aurier those teams have to respect the threat that they could pose.

The reality is that none of the 3 are good enough at RB and we need a guy like Reguilon on that side so that we don't have to make sacrifices to make up for holes in our RB's game.

Tanganga has played in just over 20 games so far, including making his debut against Liverpool and being MOTM against ManCity recently, so really don't get this 'he's not good enough against top teams' which some posters state.

He's played some games at RB, others as CB, and a couple as LB, sme games against top teams, including Chelsea as well as ManCity and Liverpool, as well as less good teams in PL and EL, and don't see any less effort or skill in playing any of them.

He's got a great leap on him (always has done - scored a few goals at youth level by outjumping the opposition), so this argument that he's not tall enough just doesn't bear any scrutiny.

Personally think he will end up as being a very good CB for us, but just as Vertonghen played CB for us and LB for Belgium for years, Alderweireld played CB for us and RB for Belgium, I think Japhet can play at both RB and CB for Spurs for years covering both positions.

Really don't get posters thinking he can only be either a RB or a CB when other top players at Spurs have played at FB and CB at top level in recent years.

Tanganga has played in just over 20 games so far, including making his debut against Liverpool and being MOTM against ManCity recently, so really don't get this 'he's not good enough against top teams' which some posters state.

He's played some games at RB, others as CB, and a couple as LB, sme games against top teams, including Chelsea as well as ManCity and Liverpool, as well as less good teams in PL and EL, and don't see any less effort or skill in playing any of them.

He's got a great leap on him (always has done - scored a few goals at youth level by outjumping the opposition), so this argument that he's not tall enough just doesn't bear any scrutiny.

Personally think he will end up as being a very good CB for us, but just as Vertonghen played CB for us and LB for Belgium for years, Alderweireld played CB for us and RB for Belgium, I think Japhet can play at both RB and CB for Spurs for years covering both positions.

Really don't get posters thinking he can only be either a RB or a CB when other top players at Spurs have played at FB and CB at top level in recent years.
But what I don't want is for him to be our first choice RB.

I believe some people will say 'we don't need a new RB we have Japhet' WRONG. Maybe he can play the odd game there as a RB but we need a real decent RB.

But what I don't want is for him to be our first choice RB.

I believe some people will say 'we don't need a new RB we have Japhet' WRONG. Maybe he can play the odd game there as a RB but we need a real decent RB.

I would much prefer a first choice RB for certainty, but wouldn't want to sign just anyone.

One thing I took from Lampard's reign at Chelsea is his playing a lot of Chelsea youth with minimal first first team games at Chelsea (although loan experience elsewhere in lower leagues), so Reece James started from minimal appearances at Chelsea to becoming first choice RB and breaking into England team.

So if we can't find a top player, maybe Tanganga is an option.

Up until Christmas one possible target I thought could be James Justin at Leicester, forced into the position of first choice RB after Pereira got injured, but before that had comparable/fewer PL appearances than Tanganga does now. But Justin now injured after becoming a top RB, conveniently just as Pereira back from injury - Pereira of course the RB Poch turned down to sign Aurier.

Tanganga should be baseline for RB but the desire is to have a starter that is much better offensively and as solid defensively.

Some of Tanganga's shortcomings can be worked on to improve him offensively, but I don't see him ever becoming first choice RB or CB. Instead I see him becoming a swiss army knife that gets minutes for his versatility to play RB, RCB and CB (don't mind even trying him out as a closeout DM instead of Sissoko)

I would much prefer a first choice RB for certainty, but wouldn't want to sign just anyone.

One thing I took from Lampard's reign at Chelsea is his playing a lot of Chelsea youth with minimal first first team games at Chelsea (although loan experience elsewhere in lower leagues), so Reece James started from minimal appearances at Chelsea to becoming first choice RB and breaking into England team.

So if we can't find a top player, maybe Tanganga is an option.

Up until Christmas one possible target I thought could be James Justin at Leicester, forced into the position of first choice RB after Pereira got injured, but before that had comparable/fewer PL appearances than Tanganga does now. But Justin now injured after becoming a top RB, conveniently just as Pereira back from injury - Pereira of course the RB Poch turned down to sign Aurier.
Tanganga isn't a RB.

He can't play RB for 38 games a season and then we expect to challenge.

Its not signing a RB for the sake of it, its signing a RB because we really need quality in that position.

Back
Top Bottom