Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It’s not being used in a derogatory way it’s a form of tribute! I’d have thought in the world we live in with the negativity surrounding the Jewish community and the ant-Semitic propaganda I’d have thought anything positive would be a good thing? Besides why has taken so long for Jewish leaders to make a voice.

I certainly wouldn't use it outside of a football setting and can't understand why anyone would find it upsetting in the way we use it. Having said that, I'm not Jewish so I can't really put myself in a Jewish person's shoes.
As mentioned, context is everything and if anyone actually attended a game when we sung "the thing I like most is", they would see what a great atmosphere it creates.

Last edited:
This argument always angers me.

Supporting this club for years I have come across full on racism and casual racism from young kids even.

If anybody thinks our support is causing this issue they are absolutely clueless.

Let’s see how trying to ban us saying Yid works out again.

The police do absolutely fuck all while Chelsea and West Ham sing about auschwitz and running around the lane having foreskins.

They think that will stop if we stop? Not in my lifetime I’m guessing.

Our film was sparked by the behaviour of a Chelsea fan who, sitting a few seats behind me and Ivor one Saturday, decided to upgrade the chant – regularly heard at Stamford Bridge whenever anything Spurs-related comes up – to a more pointed one of "Fuck the fucking Yids! Fuck the fucking Jews!". The chant, and various antisemitic tropes which always grow out of it – involving hissing to represent gas and celebratory references to Auschwitz – exists far beyond White Hart Lane: at Chelsea, Woolwich, Millwall, West Ham, even at Ajax, in Amsterdam.

However, there is of course a particular issue with Tottenham, some of whose fans passionately feel the Y-word is part of their identity and that their chanting of it is wholly positive. I respect and acknowledge that. But here are the reasons why it is good that this is being addressed.

First, Spurs fans often tweet me, forcefully, to say that historically the chant was a response to antisemitic abuse levelled at them. That's as may be; but truly, it doesn't matter who started it. The fact is that whatever its origins, their continuing use of the Y-word legitimises and sustains the racist abuse aimed at Spurs by other fans.

Basically saying that "yes Spurs and Ajax use the term Yids positively but thats why its their fault when other fans hiss gas chamber noises at them"

:avbfacepalm:

An entire article and picture of our flag with YIDS on it, yet the "gas the jews" element is a mere by product that gets less than two lines.
Wow

Sounds like the guy is in denial....

Why can't clubs address their own bigotry without having to drag us into it?

Fuck off Chelsea.

We always get dragged into the argument, ALWAYS! It's almost as if they are using their own shambolic goings on to get one over on us, stop a bit of our uniqueness and turn us plastic. There's an opportunity in their derogatory goings on that seems them not only have an opportunity to deflect blame and say how can we not act this way when Tottenham do etc as well as repress a large part of our energy from the stands.

Sadly, eventually I can see the word Yid being banned from supporters of the club using it. Diabolical really that others use it as guttersnipe, draw negative attention towards the word and then can point a finger at us when it's clearly not used in a Nast or spiteful way. I honestly can't stand how the other London clubs constantly point fingers in our direction, they seem to join forces at the expense of Tottenham. People need to ask why as the only reason I see is them doing so in a discriminatory way.

We're London's most hated club within the local area. What has ever happened to justify that going on apart from the obvious Elephant in the room? I'm not Jewish but I'm proud of the heritage that surrounds our club in its fullest. I see a lot of people that look down their noses because of certain aspects of our club yet all it takes is a finger pointed in our direction and the heat automatically comes off of them. Pathetic journalism doesn't help this cos there should be a lot more made on the subject of tribal hate

Last edited:
The club will keep doing these surveys until the majority to responses are against the use of the word Yid and then claim they have the mandate to ban it.

I would seriously consider jacking it in on a point of principle if it gets banned officially. Another nail in the coffin of the matchday atmosphere which has been getting noticeably worse over the last 10 years.

Sit down, shut up and eat your popcorn.

If we stopped using the term, it would not stop rival fans being antisemitic, let's get that right, I wonder if it will make the abusers look worse, we stopped using the word and surprise surprise, they're still racist.
It would be like dressing our kids in long trousers and duffle coats to stop Paedophillia!
The problem doesn't go away by covering up the abused... that's just papering over the cracks...

If you wanna stop racism and anti-Semitism... GO FOR THE FUCKING RACISTS & ANTI-SEMITES.... not the ethnic minorities and people trying to stand alongside them in solidarity...

We're not the fucking criminals here!!

We may as well convict all rape victims for being raped, whilst letting their abusers go free...
it's So fucking warped it's ALMOST become funny!

I'll always shout YIIIIIID ARRRRRRMY and give it YIDS YIDS YIDS YIDS.
'Oh we're the Yids Oh we're the Yids oh we', and 'Oh when the Yids going steaming in'.
'Who who who let the Yids out'.

Anyway fuck this thread, it's going on ignore.

13133391_1725272817716007_868159592977698380_n.jpg

Eh? I thought you were banned?

Maybe, this time, you'll try and behave.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah....riiiight.

:pochsmirk:
Out on appeal.

Case reviewed the facts of the case and came to the conclusion that the public service I provide the forum by taking the puppy down shouldn't be punished.

''Now you do not punish anyone, Dutch or otherwise, for having big boobs. If anything they should be rewarded''.

giphy.gif

It'll be ironic if, as a jew, I am banned from the board by an anti semitic hate mob you don't want their racist "yid" chants taken away from them. This is how it works.

"I'll fucking chant "Yid" you jewish slag!! I'm doing it to help you, you ungrateful kike wanker. YID YID YID"

Thanks, I feel so safe. I love having to explain the context of 30,000 racists chanting racist words to my 10 year old chant.

Like you're Jewish or have a bloody son.

Fuck. Off. You. Gooner. Maggot.

I’m Jewish and have never been offended by the word, the hundreds of Jews I know (spurs fans or not) have also never been offended by it. Comparing N*gger to Yid is way off the mark.

I can also absolutely guarantee that David Baddiel is not offended by it, if it was associated with Chelsea fans instead of spurs he would absolutely love it and say it all the time.

He’s embarrassed that he follows a team that are genuinely anti Semitic and is trying to blame that fact on other fans/teams so he has an excuse to go and watch Chelsea play. This whole thing is just him in denial

Well, he famously ripped Jason Lee by blacking up and putting a pineapple on his head, so there's that.

Lee said: "I'd ask them if they realised the significance of what they were doing. It was, looking back, a form of bullying. I work in equalities now, and it can affect different people in different ways. I don't think people appreciate the possible harm it can cause. Not everyone has the make-up to deal with that, and they shouldn't have to."

Back
Top Bottom