Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why Tottenham supporters chant the Y word, and why I do not mind

Why Tottenham supporters chant the Y word, and why I do not mind
david aaronovitch
Quite a few threads on this makes it confusing to know where to put new stuff. Anyway, for what I think is the very first time a piece written in the media that actually puts out the Spurs fans case for using the term without any snide or misinformed nonsense:

Three weeks ago, up in the stratospheric heights of Barcelona’s Nou Camp stadium, locked in behind plastic screens and wire netting, 4,000 Tottenham fans greeted the news of the team’s unlikely qualification to the next round of the Champions League with their favourite song. It goes like this:

We sang it in France,
We sang it in Spain,
We sing in the sun and we sing in the rain,
They tried to stop us, but look what it did,
Cos the thing I love most is being a Yid.
Being a Yid, being a Yid,
The thing I love most is being a Yid.

“Yid” is the derogatory term that the British far right has traditionally used for Jews. In the 1930s Oswald Mosley’s Blackshirts would chant “the Yids, the Yids, we’ve got to get rid of the Yids”. And because Spurs had been seen as the team with most Jewish supporters going back to the Twenties, when in the 1960s and 1970s the far right infiltrated some of the hooligan groups associated with football supporters, the word “Yid” began to be part of the abuse hurled at Spurs fans.

In their book A People’s History Of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, Martin Cloake and Alan Fisher write that “the chant ‘does your rabbi know you’re here?’ was mild and amusing compared with the rest. ‘I’ve never felt more like gassing the Jews . . .’, ‘one man went to gas, went to gas a yiddo . . .’, ‘Spurs are on their way to Auschwitz, Hitler’s gonna gas ’em again . . .’”

In my experience of the period (and since) the worst fans for this kind of abuse belonged to Chelsea and West Ham United. Their hooligans had, I believe, the most developed far right links.

But in this instance Spurs fans reacted in a gloriously imaginative way. They took over the word. They owned it and they started calling themselves “Yiddos”. In many ways it was an “I am Spartacus” act of solidarity with Jewish fans.

The Barcelona song itself dates from 2013, the last time that, in an effort to suppress antisemitic taunts from rival fans, the attempt was made to coerce Spurs fans from their self-identification. The logic was that if Spurs fans stopped calling themselves Yids, then rival fans would drop the racism.

Some of my best friends are Chelsea-supporting Jews. They’ve told me what it’s like to have your own people, inches away from you, yelling about gassing Jews. And galling to feel that one reason it is happening is because Spurs fans, mainly non-Jews, are identifying as “Yids”. I too would be upset.

Maybe one day all this will fade away. But as the authorities discovered in 2013, when attempts at prosecuting Spurs fans for using the Y-word failed, context is everything. A word or a phrase is only abuse if you’re using it to abuse. Still, it’s an unlovely word and hopefully if rival fans were dissuaded from antisemitism for a period of years, its defiant but non-abusive use would fade into history. Till then, however, they’ll sing it in France, and they’ll sing it in Spain . . .

I see it as overwhelmingly positive. I know most of our support isn’t actually Jewish, but a section of of our fan base has been historically targeted and we’ve united to defend them.

Personally I don’t even think of it as specifically Jewish. Shouting ‘Yid Army’ or ‘Yiddo Yiddo’ is more about multiculturalism, and our stand against the racist scum.

We’re a club for everybody.

Yiddo has been added to the Oxford Dictionary apparently:

• yiddo, n.: “A Jew. Also in extended use: a supporter of or player for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. See Yid n. 1, Yid n. 2.”

Ended up being harrassed by some SJW type on Twitter about this a while ago. It's obvious from my profile on there that I'm openly queer, and they asked how I'd feel if a load of mostly straight football fans decided to 'reclaim' faggot, poof or some such as a badge of pride. Obviously the answer was meant to be that I'd be pissed off to paint me as a hypocrite, but honestly I thought it'd be fucking brilliant. Brighton have a bit of an issue with being targeted with homophobia, albeit not on the same scale as the anti-Semitism we get, and I would absolutely love it if their fans responded with "The thing I love most is being a fag" - what a great way that'd be to dispell it, make their club a safer place for us, and hopefully improve things elsewhere too.

I've got to say I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing a boyfriend with me to a football game (including Spurs) to be honest, much in the same way as I know many Jews feel distinctly uncomfortable at West Ham or Chelsea. So the ever-offended types - please kindly bugger off, tackle the actual issue, or just shut it. You aren't helping and most of you frankly don't have a clue what it's like to walk in the shoes of a queer or a Jew. The thing I love most is being a Yid (and a fag!)

I'll never stop using the term.

Don't care who it offends.

What I don't get is why I can't take ownership of the word? I guarantee I, and most of you, have been called Yid in a derogatory manner by oppo more times than most Jews have by someone on the street or online.

They need to understand the word is not theirs alone to claim.

We will use it as long as its thrown against us. When they stop, we'll consider it. Until then, get fucked. The onus is not on us the victims.

There's a reason this argument tends to crop up around a fixture against Chelsea.

The 'Y-Word' isn't the problem...it's those moronic wankers that hiss and sing about Auschwitz etc that are the problem.

Filled it in. The Y-word is a badge worn with respect, integrity and pride as a two fingered counter to the racism and bigotry from clubs like Chavs and Spam. Fuck the haters.

I'm not comfortable at all with how many people are adamant that their stance on this topic is 100% correct, and are unwilling to accept there may be some legitimacy to the other side of the argument.

For what it's worth, the above is aimed at nobody in particular, but it is far more difficult a subject than many seem to think.

I hope the link below works coz it takes you to an interesting piece by Gerald Jacobs, literary editor of the Jewish Chronicle; in it he asserts that the Spurs fans' chanting of Yid, Yid army etc is a wholly positive phenomena (in his opinion). There are a couple of points that I find compelling;

1. The term 'Yid' is not an inherently racist term, unlike 'nigger', which has always been a term of racist abuse. Using the word Yid in the way we use it is positive; any attempt to claim the usage of these words has the same meaning is flawed.
2. The furore around Spurs fans use of Yid is mostly stoked by the media and establishment figure who know nothing about being at a Spurs match. People have opinion's about issues but to claim something is racist without fully understanding the context is nonsense.

Couple of my own thoughts;

In terms of giving offence; well, I don't think things should be banned just because they give offence to a section of society. The Life of Brian offended thousands of Christians back in the day (again, many of whom hadn't seen it) who wanted it banned - a hilarious and beautiful work of art!

In terms of the Yid chants inflaming racism; this claim is completely upside down. If a gay couple are abused or attacked for, say, kissing, in public; should they be prosecuted, or their attackers?

Finally, if you try to ban something - look what it does!

https://www.thejc.com/comment/comme...ns-chanting-yid-reminds-me-of-a-joke-1.478784
Before starting I think you've thought out and articulated your response well, so I'm not going on the attack here BUT!

I think we have to consider our actions within our own context, so whether you think shouting 'Yid' is right or wrong has to be the question that rather than what the other guy would do.

If we stopped using the term, it would not stop rival fans being antisemitic, let's get that right, I wonder if it will make the abusers look worse, we stopped using the word and surprise surprise, they're still racist.

The reasons I think we'd stop would be if there was a strong message from Jewish people taking genuine umbrage, though if it's seen as Chelsea/West Ham/Woolwich supporters then it will look like whataboutisms. The other more likely reason would be an incremental reduction over time and that seems more likely if it ceases to feel appropriate to the club/supporters.

This is tricky, outside of the ground/Tottenham context, most folk would not use the term 'Yid' because we know it's an offensive word that can be considered racist. If you consider that statement to be true, even if we keep using it and the motives behind it are good, we need to retain that awareness at least.
As a different minority, I’d never use the word outside of singing with fellow Spurs fans. Being welcoming to Jews and other cultures is a part of being a Spurs fan to me.
How many fucking times?? Its not complicated... The word YID means/MEANT 'Friend/mate' in Yiddish... ask any Jew you like! (Not the Millenial ones, they don't have a fucking clue!)

Jews were NEVER offended by a word THEY USED ABOUT THEMSELVES... ("He's a nice YIDDESHE boy" ask your Bubba or Zeida, they'll yell ya!)

... it was never a word to 'reclaim' ...it was ours in the first place!

I think you'll find it was the racist bigots of the '60s/'70s onwards, (and yes, nice YIDDESHE boys like Baddieil's Chelsea, and Ian Abrahams' West Ham) who twisted, raped and skewed the fuck out of the true MEANING of the word, that an entire generation of Football fans have even felt the need to RECLAIM IT...

Ask any decent Hindu, with a PEACEFUL SWASTIKA symbol on their wall, what it means to have a symbol/word ripped away from you, that you have to RECLAIM something that was stolen from you and warped into something SO ugly, the world collectively forgot it's original meaning....

Has everyone gone fucking mad?

I'm not offended by the word YID, used in a positive context... I AM offended by being called a dirty fucking JEW.... however, with no MENTION of the "Y word" (lest we use it!)

I'm not offended by other Spurs fans using the word YID, regardless of their religious background....
I AM offended by a hate-filled anti Semite who decides that making hissing noises on a matchday in N17 is perfectly justified, just because he got around it 'cos he doesn't mention the word YID!

When did the definition of the word CONTEXT suddenly fall out of the collective unconsciousness of society?
It's FUCKING context people!

Last edited:

• yiddo, n.: “A Jew. Also in extended use: a supporter of or player for Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. See Yid n. 1, Yid n. 2.”

I should also add that numerous others have been added as well, this one in particular I took an instant shine to:

wankstain, n.: “A semen stain.

Bravo OED, bravo! I can finally use these in a game of Scrabble now!

Last edited:
I wonder if the likes of Baddiel realize that he's using pretty much the exact same argument as Hitler himself, in that he's basically saying "our fanbase does that because of the Spurs fans".

You mean this moral beacon of knowledge David Baddiel?

EKc6TBKXUAYAShZ.png

The blokes an arsehole and a hypocrite. Never once heard him slate something their awful set of fans have done which makes his claims about Spurs fall on deaf ears.

You're a moron. Tell me the etymology of "paki"? Just tell them when you say that that it comes from Pakistan and is no different to calling a British person a "Brit".

I told you that would just try and justify the use of the word. And again, it all boils down to the fact you and other assorted racists and morons love to chant "YID".

Just admit you know it is wrong but your love of chanting it is more important than the offence you cause.

i also only see one person on this thread trying to force people to agree with him, and getting angry when they don’t. Everyone else is trying to discuss the topic.

throwing around playground insults when someone doesn’t agree with you is pathetic.

You called someone a retard earlier, you could ask every single person (including Jews) in this country what is more offensive, yid or retard, and everyone would say retard

you’re the one promoting hate speech

We are winning...

Whether or not Spurs fans mean it to be racist - it is. It should be banned. The day these same people would sing "nig*er army" as a sign of endearment to Ndombele or Sanchez is the day I will accept it.

I've said this many times and will say it many more. This whole thing is about one thing - the people who say "YIDS" like saying it. That's all it boils down to. They try and justify their racism and stupidy with "but we're reclaiming it" bullshit, but at the end of the day, they are just cunts who would never chant "nig*er" but feel empowered to chant "yid".

They can all fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I'm well aware certain jews like to chant it too. They are also cunts. In fact, they are even worse.

FUCK OFF YOU RACIST CUNTS WITH A SUPERIORTY COMPLEX.

I'm not a racist, I'm actually singing racists chants to HELP the jewish community.

Are you? Well thanks so much. It's really helping seeing that anti semitic attacks are at their highest rates ever!!

Automatic prison sentences are the only answer.
I’m Jewish and have never been offended by the word, the hundreds of Jews I know (spurs fans or not) have also never been offended by it. Comparing N*gger to Yid is way off the mark.

I can also absolutely guarantee that David Baddiel is not offended by it, if it was associated with Chelsea fans instead of spurs he would absolutely love it and say it all the time.

He’s embarrassed that he follows a team that are genuinely anti Semitic and is trying to blame that fact on other fans/teams so he has an excuse to go and watch Chelsea play. This whole thing is just him in denial

"There is no grey area," said WJC chief executive Robert Singer.

He said the word "has for years been re-appropriated from its original Yiddish to carry a distinctly pejorative and anti-Semitic message, and its use by fans in the stands, either as a self-designated nickname or as a slogan against rivals must not be tolerated in any way".

He added: "The innocence this word once carried, as a simple translation for Jew, has long disappeared, and we must be extremely conscious of the anti-Semitic connotation it now bears."

This bloke needs to have a word with himself, the twat.

Back
Top Bottom