Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet to play a convincing game, but getting built up as the new Jan Vertonghen.

Got extremely lucky against Chavs where he presented them two simple chances they didn't take.
Poor against Brighton, and rooted to the spot at their goal and poor at corners.
Liverpool, well we know how that went down.

I suppose he did OK against Sheff United.

Those are simple facts, he's not any better than the rest. At present we have 5 weak centre halves.

Got extremely lucky against Chavs where he presented them two simple chances they didn't take.
Poor against Brighton, and rooted to the spot at their goal and poor at corners.

Those are simple facts, he's not any better than the rest. At present we have 5 weak centre halves.

No one is building him up as the new Verts. He is strong, good in the air, good with the ball and hard in the tackle. He lacks experience but has clear talent, playing him next to Toby would seem the logical step.

No one is building him up as the new Verts. He is strong, good in the air, good with the ball and hard in the tackle. He lacks experience but has clear talent, playing him next to Toby would seem the logical step.
Really?

He's a player, same age as Dav making as many mistakes as Dav, only saving grace is he cost a lot less.

Toby is slow, weak in the air and living off his first couple of years at the club.

That being said, I think our defenders look weaker due to the system that the hopefully soon to be unemployed Portugese "best coaching system n the world" genius is playing.

Absolutely this. More than the names on the sheet - they should be picked always unless injury says otherwise. CBs need a relationship and that only happens over games played.

Really?

He's a player, same age as Dav making as many mistakes as Dav, only saving grace is he cost a lot less.

Toby is slow, weak in the air and living off his first couple of years at the club.

That being said, I think our defenders look weaker due to the system that the hopefully soon to be unemployed Portugese "best coaching system n the world" genius is playing.
Disagree. Toby is hasn't shown great form - that is true, but he is still the best defender we have. The critical word being "defender". Noone else comes close to him - but he is out of form.

"weak in the air" :pochcmon:

Of course everything around the club seems to stink of shit at the moment-apart from our magnificent stadium-but my initial impression of this guy is not positive, despite the mitigating circumstances of having a thundering cunt of a head coach, and so on. One of the first things I look at in a footballer is how he moves, and his footwork/mobility alone mean I have seewious reservations about him. When I also factor in how ordinary he has been on the ball, and how often he has lost his concentration, the picture is not very inspiring. For me. At this point in time.

Disagree. Toby is hasn't shown great form - that is true, but he is still the best defender we have. The critical word being "defender". Noone else comes close to him - but he is out of form.

"weak in the air" :pochcmon:
You don't think Toby is weak in the air?

You haven't see him then. Master of jumping under crosses.

You don't think Toby is weak in the air?

You haven't see him then. Master of jumping under crosses.
No I don't. You might not agree and while he is not one to play up against the big lad on the long ball, he does more than enough on defensive set pieces.

No I don't. You might not agree and while he is not one to play up against the big lad on the long ball, he does more than enough on defensive set pieces.
There's a long list of crosses into the box that have found him wanting and goals conceded. I can think of 4 or 5 straight off the top of my head. That's before I go into his problem dealing with players running at him and his turning his back on shots. There are plenty of examples of these.

That's a fair comment. If I were the manager, which I surely will be, I would want to know why crosses are coming into the box in the first place because it is not possible to be so good that you can defend every cross without others filling in.

Not saying he's perfect. Just saying he's the best we have. Would you like to use today's game to say otherwise?

In all honesty, it's probably a good thing he isn't in there.

We cannot defend for shit. And it'd probably totally kill off Rodon's confidence playing in that team week in and week out. It's a shame he didn't get registered in our EL squad as games against the likes of Wolfsberger would be brilliant to keep his confidence up.

In all honesty, it's probably a good thing he isn't in there.

We cannot defend for shit. And it'd probably totally kill off Rodon's confidence playing in that team week in and week out. It's a shame he didn't get registered in our EL squad as games against the likes of Wolfsberger would be brilliant to keep his confidence up.
Or he might be thinking "what the fuck". "Do I need to learn Portuguese or something"

Of course everything around the club seems to stink of shit at the moment-apart from our magnificent stadium-but my initial impression of this guy is not positive, despite the mitigating circumstances of having a thundering cunt of a head coach, and so on. One of the first things I look at in a footballer is how he moves, and his footwork/mobility alone mean I have seewious reservations about him. When I also factor in how ordinary he has been on the ball, and how often he has lost his concentration, the picture is not very inspiring. For me. At this point in time.
Yeah as much as I want Rodon to work there are some things which you are saying that worry me about his game
I hope its just nerves of playing in the Premier league but Tanganga seemed more promising than him at CB

Yeah as much as I want Rodon to work there are some things which you are saying that worry me about his game
I hope its just nerves of playing in the Premier league but Tanganga seemed more promising than him at CB
His mobility won't improve, IMO. If we could get him to look over his shoulder a bit more, that would be good. To me, he doesn't move too well with the ball, and has humped too many balls down the field. Maybe a new coach can squeeze a bit more from him, but I would be surprised to see him establish himself here.

This is where Levy drives me mad. For a guy who can't sleep at night worrying about pennies, he doesn't half know how to waste money. And I am not saying we should have signed Skriniar. I was alarmed by our interest in him. But very promising CBs changed hands last summer for relatively little. You don't have to spend £70m.

Whilst I think Tanaganga is a real talent, I think Rodon has more raw talent. His positioning is pretty much spot on, which for a CB so young is impressive. Also, he is a beast at defending set-pieces and crosses. He makes mistakes as one would expect but remember Tanaganga does as well. Jose does not trust Tanaganga at CB, he even plays Sanchez ahead of him. To be honest, I feel nervous when Tanganga is playing CB. He seems to get "done" quite easily.

Whilst I think Tanaganga is a real talent, I think Rodon has more raw talent. His positioning is pretty much spot on, which for a CB so young is impressive. Also, he is a beast at defending set-pieces and crosses. He makes mistakes as one would expect but remember Tanaganga does as well. Jose does not trust Tanaganga at CB, he even plays Sanchez ahead of him. To be honest, I feel nervous when Tanganga is playing CB. He seems to get "done" quite easily.

Rodon is bit of a beast in the air which is important. I actually like Tanganga at RB, he looks really solid there. The height aspect and aerial dominance is a big factor.

Rodon is bit of a beast in the air which is important. I actually like Tanganga at RB, he looks really solid there. The height aspect and aerial dominance is a big factor.
I have said it before but I have no problem with Tanganga spending a few years at right back before moving in centrally. He'll get playing time and experience and usually mistakes by fullbacks are not as costly as mistakes at CB. So he can work out those kinks in his game as well before moving into the CB position.

The most famous example of this working is Sergio Ramos. But both Toby and Jan have played FB as well in their younger years. Mainly for Belgium but still.

Back
Top Bottom