Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham news: Philippe Coutinho agreed to join but it fell through because of one person | Football | Sport | Express.co.uk

Not according to press reports, but don't let fantasy land get in the way of your wild theories
Fantasy ? OK

The only person involved in that proposed transfer;

Philippe Coutinho’s agent Kia Joorabchian has vehemently denied that his client’s potential move to Tottenham last summer fell apart because of Spurs’ finances.

According to Joorabchian, however, the real reason behind discussions stalling was that Coutinho didn’t fit into Mauricio Pochettino’s plans.

“Philippe Coutinho has no personal issue with Daniel Levy and claims otherwise are totally false. The deal did not collapse due to financial reasons," said Joorabchian.

So it comes down to who believe;
The agent, who's missed out on a huge wedge of cash both for hiimself and his client.
Or
Poch's bestie.

Last edited:
So, I’ve been defending Jose since he joined and am still feeling quite defensive about him, because he’s our manager and I think he’ll end up succeeding.

But, last night was a fucking disaster. As was Thursday. I do think we can’t expect to just turn up and batter Liverpool or Brighton, but the team selections and formations for both were a nightmare. The couple of performances leading up to these matches weren’t much better, but I do think I could see a plan forming in the matches before the last few.

The last two matches have shaken my beliefs though. In addition to the line ups and tactics, too many of the players aren’t doing the simple things correctly and don’t look like they give a fuck. Either Jose is telling them to be shite, or they aren’t listening to him. Either is a problem.

I’m still Jose in, because I have to believe this will work. I also don’t see how we can switch again so soon and expect much different results from these players. I am now in the camp of fucking off the majority of the squad though.

This tactical genius thought that playing 3 at the back against the 20th placed team was the solution
Tried it at Liverpool and didn't work so switched to a back 4 at half time.
Then preceeds to make the exact same mistake 3 days later and does the exact same thing at half time.

Surely that spells the beginning of the end when these sort of things are happening?
Surely 3 at the back is less defensive than 4?

IF your wing backs can and do attack.
Davies is about as much use as a telephone box in 2021.

Some of the players did work hard I thought, Ndombele was tracking back behind Sissoko, Toby & Rodon putting in tons of blocks, Bergwijn up and down, PEH everywhere (except up the pitch), (Bale just doesn't have any legs, so looks woeful).

The issue is they aren't coached, they have no idea how to progress the ball, there are no patterns of play, when the oppo can easily cut the supply to a front 2/3 there is nothing, no other plan or option. They were simply outplayed by a team that's better coached. Teams have been able to do this when Kane's in the team, it's so fucking easy.

There is a saying about "bringing a knife to a gunfight", well Jose has armed our players with a plastic spoon.
Youre right and i should have mentioned tanguy and PEH. Worked hard and stayed going. But teams are outnumbering us in there so their legs are gonna go. PEH looks like hes on fumes. Weve no other options there.

Surely 3 at the back is less defensive than 4?
IF you use attacking wing backs to cover when needed.
Depends on the personnel.

Normally you have two "lesser" creative players as WBs, meaning you have to drop a true creative player from the middle of the pitch to fit them in. Or a true DM.

Depends on the personnel.

Normally you have two "lesser" creative players as WBs, meaning you have to drop a true creative player from the middle of the pitch to fit them in. Or a true DM.
Chelsea played 343 and won 17/18 games on the bounce their way to the title.
Guess that's at least partially down to how good Kante was/is as that DCM. IMO, he's more than a DCM and is an all in one.

So, I’ve been defending Jose since he joined and am still feeling quite defensive about him, because he’s our manager and I think he’ll end up succeeding.

But, last night was a fucking disaster. As was Thursday. I do think we can’t expect to just turn up and batter Liverpool or Brighton, but the team selections and formations for both were a nightmare. The couple of performances leading up to these matches weren’t much better, but I do think I could see a plan forming in the matches before the last few.

The last two matches have shaken my beliefs though. In addition to the line ups and tactics, too many of the players aren’t doing the simple things correctly and don’t look like they give a fuck. Either Jose is telling them to be shite, or they aren’t listening to him. Either is a problem.

I’m still Jose in, because I have to believe this will work. I also don’t see how we can switch again so soon and expect much different results from these players. I am now in the camp of fucking off the majority of the squad though.

Glad to see you are not so fixed in your views, that you are seeing things are wrong.
However your conclusion that get rid of the majority of the squad and keep a manager who clearly has been playing poor tactics and formations, that even you admit is just weird.

So these World Cup Winners, Champions League Winners, La Liga Winners, Bundesliga Winners, Ligue 1 Winners, Europa League Winners, Eredivisie winners, Copa Libertadores Winners, Would Club Cup Winners, Primera Division winners and numerous Champions League finalists and perennial Top 4 finishers that we have are all of a sudden poor players ? Or could it just be that we have a manager who is mismanaging his assets (e.g. Dele), playing formations which does nothing to get best out of the resources we have, and has generally created a risk-adverse fear factor divisive changing room.

I know where I believe the issue lies, and let's be honest what you are proposing is totally unfeasible (who is going to buy majority of the squad at the prices we would want for them, in COVID age), and even if that was done is Mourinho is not the right manager to rebuild, as he only acquires high value at their prime players, which obviously he would never be backed to do.
He is completely wrong manager for almost every reason if it is a rebuild you are after.

But anyway, I am being distracted, need to go back to putting pins in my Mourinho voodoo doll.

Last edited:
Glad to see you are not so fixed in your views, that you are seeing things are wrong.
However your conclusion that get rid of the majority of the squad and keep a manager who clearly has been playing poor tactics and formations, that even you admit is just weird.

So these World Cup Winners, Champions League Winners, La Liga Winners, Bundesliga Winners, Ligue 1 Winners, Europa League Winners, Eredivisie winners, Primera Division winners and numerous Champions League finalists and perennial Top 4 finishers that we have are all of a sudden poor players ? Or could it just be that we have a manager who is mismanaging his assets (e.g. Dele), playing formations which does nothing to get best out of the resources we have, and has generally created a risk-adverse fear factor divisive changing room.

I know where I believe the issue lies, and let's be honest what you are proposing is totally unfeasible (who is going to but majority of the squad), and even if that was done is Mourinho the right player to rebuild, as he only acquires high value at their prime players, which obviously he would never be backed to do.
He is completely wrong manager for almost every reason if it is a rebuild you are after.

But anyway, I am being distracted, need to go back to putting pins in my Mourinho voodoo doll.
It is weird. And I’ve no evidence or foundation, other than hope.

I can’t explain what’s happened to the players. I’m not taking Dele into this as he’s not been near a pitch to show how good or bad he is, but there were top quality players on the pitch last night that were passing to nobody. That weren’t tracking runs. That weren’t trying to find space. that were just fucking standing there.

We’ve possibly got everyone out of form at the same time. Or Jose has “lost the dressing room”. I can forgive the first, but not the second. No matter how much the players don’t like a manager, they should still try to win and do the basics correctly. Fuck them if they aren’t, just because they are in the huff.

If anyone thought the Mourinho appointment was anything other than 3 seasons max, then they're deluded.
I have some Man U fans as friends and family. Being the arrogant fucks all United fans are, they all believed he'd found his home and would be there for a decade or more.
Nope. 3 years. All he ever does.

It's why I was fine with him. His record is so consistent. Come in, usually by his 2nd season his teams look unstoppable then somewhere in the 3rd season he/it all unravels.

It would appear that he cut out the most important part this time.
Couple of times the camera zoomed in on him last night and he had the exact same face toward the end of every reign he's had.
2015 just before being sacked by Chelsea

Last night

If anyone thought the Mourinho appointment was anything other than 3 seasons max, then they're deluded.
I have some Man U fans as friends and family. Being the arrogant fucks all United fans are, they all believed he'd found his home and would be there for a decade or more.
Nope. 3 years. All he ever does.

It's why I was fine with him. His record is so consistent. Come in, usually by his 2nd season his teams look unstoppable then somewhere in the 3rd season he/it all unravels.

It would appear that he cut out the most important part this time.
Couple of times the camera zoomed in on him last night and he had the exact same face toward the end of every reign he's had.

Last night
I don’t think delusion is fair. Anyone who believed or believes he’ll be here longer is hoping that the leopard changed his spots. That he could see an opportunity to build something meaningful.

And in the 15 months he’s had, the upheaval has been massive. He took over a struggling side and a squad that needed improvement. He’s had the lockdown and all that’s encompassed. He’s not had the time on the training pitch he would have had at any other time due to the lockdown and the sheer number of matches - 9 in a month is it?

He got us to the top of the league seven weeks ago and although things have went to shit recently, I think it’s unfair to judge him fully at this stage.

Youre right and i should have mentioned tanguy and PEH. Worked hard and stayed going. But teams are outnumbering us in there so their legs are gonna go. PEH looks like hes on fumes. Weve no other options there.
Agree. There is a danger for fans to look at a woeful performance and say they weren't trying etc...

But what I saw was a team devoid of any plan and structure, which whilst looking woeful can easily be confused with saying they weren't trying. But I did see a ton of grunt out there, I don't think players shirked or slacked off, they were simply appallingly prepared and if there was some kind of game plan it was completly inadequate.

Bale is the only player that you could see that gave the impression that he's not putting in the effort but my hunch is that what we saw was him at his max or nearly at his max, it's just his max is 50% of most players at this level now.

I'm not going all-in saying the players to a man gave all they could, they didn't but I completly understand why they didn't as I suspect they feel they are flogging a dead horse, I suspect they are taking no enjoyment I playing for this team, I suspect that they are fearful of making a mistake and being publicly hung out to dry as they mates have been. And to be honest I don't blame any of them. I blame the useless tit of a manager, the architect of this clusterfuck, both tactically and mentally he's fucked us.

Mourinho's issue :
He never learns and he never changes.

I thought Joao Sacromento was going to have a positive impact on him and he hasn't ( a bit off topic but just thought I'd add that)

Agree. There is a danger for fans to look at a woeful performance and say they weren't trying etc...

But what I saw was a team devoid of any plan and structure, which whilst looking woeful can easily be confused with saying they weren't trying. But I did see a ton of grunt out there, I don't think players shirked or slacked off, they were simply appallingly prepared and if there was some kind of game plan it was completly inadequate.

Bale is the only player that you could see that gave the impression that he's not putting in the effort but my hunch is that what we saw was him at his max or nearly at his max, it's just his max is 50% of most players at this level now.

I'm not going all-in saying the players to a man gave all they could, they didn't but I completly understand why they didn't as I suspect they feel they are flogging a dead horse, I suspect they are taking no enjoyment I playing for this team, I suspect that they are fearful of making a mistake and being publicly hung out to dry as they mates have been. And to be honest I don't blame any of them. I blame the useless tit of a manager, the architect of this clusterfuck, both tactically and mentally he's fucked us.
👏

he had the exact same face toward the end of every reign he's had.

Last night
I have that facial expression when my wife asks for sex

Back
Top Bottom