Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure I buy this notion that we bought well enough during the summer because ndombele despite having a few silky skills looks too injury prone and not strong enough for the league.
Lo celsco also looks lost on the few occasions that we have seen him and if these were pochs most wanted purchases then I'm slightly concerned, can see one or both of these being sold off and back to square one again with rebuilding.

We were crying out for a defensive midfielder and fullbacks in the summer yet bought neither. Poch bought those two because he wanted to continue with the dreaded diamond with winks at the base of it. A terrible tactic.

Plus we didn’t buy a llorente replacement. Idiotic.

Every struggling manager always suffers from individual mistakes. Funny that.

It would be foolish to blame most of these recent errors on the manager. Mourinho has to work with what he has, is it his fault that Aurier concede a needless corner against Chelsea and then looked away as it was taken? Is is his fault that Gazzaniga went Bruce Lee before half-time? That he let a pathetic shot from Rashford go through his hands? That Aurier put the ball in his own net at Norwich or that Foyth shat the bed earlier?

Our defensive play in a general sense has improved since Mou came in, but the same tired, lazy, daft players are still making the same mistakes as under Poch. When you don’t have a midfield that works properly it’s going to expose all the limitations of your defenders, that’s been going on for more than a year with us.

We are seeing more errors than we were 2 years ago because we ask these defenders to do more defending than before and with less help from their teammates. In our pomp, we might concede only 1 or 2 shots on goal in 90 minutes. Now we are routinely outshot by even lowly opponents, our midfield totally unable to control a game. It will take many months and many signings to fix these things. You could put Ramos and Chiellini in our back 4 and with Winks/Sissoko in front of them they would look shit.

We were crying out for a defensive midfielder and fullbacks in the summer yet bought neither. Poch bought those two because he wanted to continue with the dreaded diamond with winks at the base of it. A terrible tactic.

To think if we had topped up the squad with a couple of players over previous windows then more likely we would not be in the shit state we are in now and poch will probably have still been in his job.

Interesting article on the The Athletic about whether Jose still has what it takes to sort a defense out.

Previously at Chelsea and Madrid when he couldn't stop goals leaking he reverted to an ultra cautious 3 x DM model to stop the rot. Not sure where he will get the players from in our squad to play like this as we haven't got one decent DM let alone 3..... but 18 months after making this change at Chelsea he won the league.

So in my mind its a better of two evils situation now - i don't want us to revert to Mou type, but if it stops us from losing games and gets us back in contention then i'll take it - the alternative is that we will be looking for a new manager come July.

For me - there are a couple of things he could do to instantly to make us more resilient.

Play Sanchez every game available - we are getting done by pace game after game.
Stop expecting a 33 year old Vertonghen to get up and down the wing like a whippet.
Stop using one of the DM's to babysit Aurier. This kind of worked when Sissoko was fit as he is unrelenting. But we don't have another midfielder capable of doing 2 jobs at once.

I don't have the solutions to these problems, but we are in the middle of a transfer window. We also have options in the squad that aren't being used. Foyth is a contentious player, but i wont let his mistake against Norwich write him off - reward requires risk.

If you concede no goals you cannot lose.

If you score multiple goals you can still lose the game.

Sort the defense out as a priority. We only need to score 1 goal to win.

To be fair, with Dier coming back from illness; Winks, Skipp, Sissoko, Wanyama - we didn't need a defensive midfielder unless somebody could have been sold. We purchase Ndombele to drive the ball forward - unfortunately injury has stuffed that up.

For the avoidance of doubt; Wanyama has been fit and available to play since March last year and we cannot judge that he is 'finished' based on 2 or 3 sporadic appearances.

After the Dybala move fell through; I am very surprised we did not take an extra year on Llorente. Was there an expectation that Parott was good enough?

To be fair, with Dier coming back from illness; Winks, Skipp, Sissoko, Wanyama - we didn't need a defensive midfielder unless somebody could have been sold. We purchase Ndombele to drive the ball forward - unfortunately injury has stuffed that up.

For the avoidance of doubt; Wanyama has been fit and available to play since March last year and we cannot judge that he is 'finished' based on 2 or 3 sporadic appearances.

After the Dybala move fell through; I am very surprised we did not take an extra year on Llorente. Was there an expectation that Parott was good enough?

......Why can't he keep up with the pace of the game anymore then?

Why does he hobble about like a cripple after a brief cameo?

......Why can't he keep up with the pace of the game anymore then?

Why does he hobble about like a cripple after a brief cameo?

I'm not sure we have seen him play enough to say he can no longer keep up. Clearly a decision was made a while ago to move him on; but its unfair to label him as broken.

Go watch a lot of players of african origin walk ( Pogba, Sissoko, Yaya Toure, Ndombele ). They all look like they have been hit by a bus!

Incidentally, he was our only player last season that had a 100% successful tackle stat :)

Hopefully he finds another club this Jan and is able to play for a few more years at a good level.

I'm not sure we have seen him play enough to say he can no longer keep up. Clearly a decision was made a while ago to move him on; but its unfair to label him as broken.

Go watch a lot of players of african origin walk ( Pogba, Sissoko, Yaya Toure, Ndombele ). They all look like they have been hit by a bus!

Incidentally, he was our only player last season that had a 100% successful tackle stat :)

Hopefully he finds another club this Jan and is able to play for a few more years at a good level.

Jose would surely have given him a run at some point if he was "fit" as you say.

He's been poor when he has played.

Your African comment is just weird (at best).

....I stand by my judgement on this one if it's all the same to you.

He has no control over injuries: he’s been around long enough to know that these things happen. Any team would struggle coming back from the dip in form, plus key players out with injuries for long periods.

He’s discussing summer rather than now for transfers, so I’ll be interested to see how we line up for the rest of the season and who becomes our go to front player... (I guess Lucas or Son - preferably Sonny for me). Jam up the MF with bodies and play for dull 1-0s.

I think I have a vid of that George Graham LC final if he wants to see how to play and win a really dull game...

I don’t think his press conference is too bad at all. He just seems focused. He knows the papers will write negative stories about Kane and project them onto him so tries to nip it in the bud. Looking at the back pages this morning and it hasn’t worked. They’ve unsurprisingly gone with the negative.

It’s obvious he knows it’s a massive job but says he’s had to time to train them on the pitch. It’s looking like that though now isn’t it? We still make the same mistakes on match day as we did under Poch.

This isn’t going to be a quick fix. The players need to adapt and learn quickly. If they can’t do it, get them out the club. It’s why we should be addressing things this window but we don’t seem to be. Maybe because the players we want aren’t available. So instead we will middle through and hope he can sort them out on the training pitch rather than get new faces in that we don’t desperately want (we need some in though obviously).

Back
Top Bottom