Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting chart about our team defensive performance since Jose took over...

Basically, we have seen improvements in our expected goals allowed but are still really poor at conceding on the counter. A new CDM would help a ton with that IMO. Also makes sense why we see Jose trying to set us up to play on the counter. We are much better at absorbing pressure and then countering. We get in trouble when we play high up the pitch.

Does anyone have a reliable source on how much Jose is getting paid? I've heard varying reports from £15m to £7m basic with performance related addons (which sounds more like a Levy deal to be honest).

Does anyone have a reliable source on how much Jose is getting paid? I've heard varying reports from £15m to £7m basic with performance related addons (which sounds more like a Levy deal to be honest).

£13 million a year apparently plus his commission on beach ball sales

Still early days for Mourinho but here are a few issues that I hope his coaching staff are helping him spot that seem to be obvious to a lot of us:
1. Why are you persisting with Dele who has been terrible in the last few games. Clearly he needs some kind of coaching/counselling to find out what is going on in his head and he needs a period on the sidelines
2. Christian Eriksen (for all of his perceived qualities by some) is clearly terrible at taking corners- why can you not see that?
3. Davinson Sanchez has been our most consistent defender recently so why do you keep dropping him?
4. Dier (though not terrible today) appears not good enough anymore and isn’t it about time you started blooding in Skipp who may not be the long term answer but we won’t know if you don’t try him and in any case cannot be any worse
5. Lo Celso now needs to be given a chance- (is Eriksen really deserving of a place anymore bearing in mind he was again poor against a championship side and probably leaving anyway)
6. Why is our crossing and shooting so poor and what should we do about it?
So for all of us who think Mourinho needs time, isn’t it about time he actually helped himself out by having some reflection with his back room staff and making some common sense decisions off the back of that to give us at least a chance to get better. In reality he probably reflects all the time but he seems to be watching different games to me. I’m not an expert but very underwhelmed so far

1. His first few games under Mourinho showed what he is capable of when he gets some good service and support.

2. We scored from an Eriksen corner a couple of weeks ago.

3. Sanchez is carrying an injury

4. Dier is perfectly capable. He missed a year of football due to illness. He has the attitude and fight that we need and requires game time to get back into the swing of things. Agree, Skipp should also be playing.

5. Whilst we still have him, Eriksen is our best player by far. Has he been particularly poor; or are the players he is playing with poor? Jury is out.

6. Poch's training was predominately fitness/conditioning based. He would run VERY demanding training sessions - part of the reason why some players began to struggle. Poch spent very little tile practicing set plays and rehearsed movement. Both Sissoko and Trippier have been outspoken that this training left them to tired/sore for match day. Mourinho on the other hand takes a different approach. Focus is on passing, set plays and winning the ball. He does not tent to overwork the players in training and prefers them to have 100% in the tank for game day.

1. His first few games under Mourinho showed what he is capable of when he gets some good service and support.

2. We scored from an Eriksen corner a couple of weeks ago.

3. Sanchez is carrying an injury

4. Dier is perfectly capable. He missed a year of football due to illness. He has the attitude and fight that we need and requires game time to get back into the swing of things. Agree, Skipp should also be playing.

5. Whilst we still have him, Eriksen is our best player by far. Has he been particularly poor; or are the players he is playing with poor? Jury is out.

6. Poch's training was predominately fitness/conditioning based. He would run VERY demanding training sessions - part of the reason why some players began to struggle. Poch spent very little tile practicing set plays and rehearsed movement. Both Sissoko and Trippier have been outspoken that this training left them to tired/sore for match day. Mourinho on the other hand takes a different approach. Focus is on passing, set plays and winning the ball. He does not tent to overwork the players in training and prefers them to have 100% in the tank for game day.

Oh right ok, so how many Mourinho training sessions have you attended then?
Yes I know Eriksen set up a goal from a corner- big deal. His corners are terrible and if you can’t see that then you can’t see anything. And if you don’t think he has overall been poor this season then again what games have you been watching?
So you have been impressed by Dier since he came back from injury then?
What injury does Sanchez have as I wasn’t aware of that? Since u r clearly In the know why has he been on the bench if he is injured ?

Oh right ok, so how many Mourinho training sessions have you attended then?

2 when he was at real madrid.

Multiple players have talked about his training style; its not secret - google it. Same goes for Poch.

What injury does Sanchez have as I wasn’t aware of that? Since u r clearly In the know why has he been on the bench if he is injured ?
Was listed with a mild thigh strain. Not starting is probably a preventative measure to avoid injury.

So you have been impressed by Dier since he came back from injury then?

I wouldn't say he has been much worse that our other midfielders. Midfield is all about forming a partnership and being able to operate as a cohesive unit. You could put Kante into our midfield in the next game and he would be caught out of position and look like a fish out of water.

With Winks/Ndombele in and out through injury since Jose took over; we haven't been able to maintain consistency.

Yes I know Eriksen set up a goal from a corner- big deal. His corners are terrible and if you can’t see that then you can’t see anything. And if you don’t think he has overall been poor this season then again what games have you been watching?

I think he has been one of our better players this season; and he has had 2 MOTM peformances.

ENzKlXQUcAAGm1-

2 when he was at real madrid.

Multiple players have talked about his training style; its not secret - google it. Same goes for Poch.

Was listed with a mild thigh strain. Not starting is probably a preventative measure to avoid injury.

I wouldn't say he has been much worse that our other midfielders. Midfield is all about forming a partnership and being able to operate as a cohesive unit. You could put Kante into our midfield in the next game and he would be caught out of position and look like a fish out of water.

With Winks/Ndombele in and out through injury since Jose took over; we haven't been able to maintain consistency.

I think he has been one of our better players this season; and he has had 2 MOTM peformances.

Eriksen has been terrible this season. Who gave him motm?- a pundit who was probably concentrating more on his commentary than anything else. He used to be a very good player for us and to start with turned up against everyone. Then slowly over time he began to go missing against big teams but still did it against smaller teams- in cricket terms what can be described as a flat track bully. Now he struggles to turn it on against anyone. You like many Eriksen fans are trying to say that he hasn’t been that bad- it’s the players around him. That is a very weak argument. He is responsible for his own performances and he has been found wanting on many occasions. For example take his last 2 performances alone against relegation fodder and championship mediocrity . What did he do against Southampton and Middlesbrough?

If Sanchez is being kept on the bench as a preventative measure to avoid injury then why bother putting him on the bench? There are pundits and players who think he doesn’t like the look of Sanchez despite him being our best defender this season

So you watched José run a couple of training sessions almost 10 years ago in a foreign country with different players in a much less intense league so I bow to your greater knowledge. Whatever is being done during training at the moment doesn’t seem to be working that well, early days that it is. Perhaps he needs to adapt his style but I don’t know as you are the expert.

I respect your view on things however different to mine but I think you do yourself a disservice by trying to pretend Eriksen’s corners are anything other than awful which kind of takes away somewhat from your other comments

Interesting article on the The Athletic about whether Jose still has what it takes to sort a defense out.

Previously at Chelsea and Madrid when he couldn't stop goals leaking he reverted to an ultra cautious 3 x DM model to stop the rot. Not sure where he will get the players from in our squad to play like this as we haven't got one decent DM let alone 3..... but 18 months after making this change at Chelsea he won the league.

So in my mind its a better of two evils situation now - i don't want us to revert to Mou type, but if it stops us from losing games and gets us back in contention then i'll take it - the alternative is that we will be looking for a new manager come July.

For me - there are a couple of things he could do to instantly to make us more resilient.

Play Sanchez every game available - we are getting done by pace game after game.
Stop expecting a 33 year old Vertonghen to get up and down the wing like a whippet.
Stop using one of the DM's to babysit Aurier. This kind of worked when Sissoko was fit as he is unrelenting. But we don't have another midfielder capable of doing 2 jobs at once.

I don't have the solutions to these problems, but we are in the middle of a transfer window. We also have options in the squad that aren't being used. Foyth is a contentious player, but i wont let his mistake against Norwich write him off - reward requires risk.

Interesting article on the The Athletic about whether Jose still has what it takes to sort a defense out.

Previously at Chelsea and Madrid when he couldn't stop goals leaking he reverted to an ultra cautious 3 x DM model to stop the rot. Not sure where he will get the players from in our squad to play like this as we haven't got one decent DM let alone 3..... but 18 months after making this change at Chelsea he won the league.

So in my mind its a better of two evils situation now - i don't want us to revert to Mou type, but if it stops us from losing games and gets us back in contention then i'll take it - the alternative is that we will be looking for a new manager come July.

For me - there are a couple of things he could do to instantly to make us more resilient.

Play Sanchez every game available - we are getting done by pace game after game.
Stop expecting a 33 year old Vertonghen to get up and down the wing like a whippet.
Stop using one of the DM's to babysit Aurier. This kind of worked when Sissoko was fit as he is unrelenting. But we don't have another midfielder capable of doing 2 jobs at once.

I don't have the solutions to these problems, but we are in the middle of a transfer window. We also have options in the squad that aren't being used. Foyth is a contentious player, but i wont let his mistake against Norwich write him off - reward requires risk.
According to Statsbomb we actually have improved our defense already collectively.

py46pnkkuk941.jpg

But we are still being screwed over by individual mistakes. Which I guess is solved by replacing the players causing those mistakes?

According to Statsbomb we actually have improved our defense already collectively.

py46pnkkuk941.jpg

But we are still being screwed over by individual mistakes. Which I guess is solved by replacing the players causing those mistakes?

Or coaching the mistakes out of them. In the case of some, this can't be done anymore, but we also need to keep in mind that we can't replace the entire team in a short time frame. We will just have to do with some of the players we have right now.

py46pnkkuk941.jpg

I would agree we have improved marginally since Poch left, but we are a world away from the stingy defense that peak Jose was famous for. Compare those numbers to say Leicester in the same period?

In theory every goal conceded is due to a mistake somewhere on the pitch. Even low xG goals of individual brilliance are a consequence of conceding possession.

Part of the coaching aspect is to minimise the chance of players making individual errors by allowing them to be comfortable in the system. i.e. not putting Vertonghen up against Traore and expecting him to keep up with him etc...

But i maintain that if we ever want to see improvement in this team we have to be prepared to take risks (with both selections and the way we progress the ball), and that will lead to some (more) difficult games!

Back
Top Bottom