Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Worrying times I agree but I blame a lot of this on Poch as he just gave up
He was just worn out, that he coped with Levy for over 5 years is a minor miracle. Was Poch worse than Silva at Everton, did he leave a worse squad?..and yet Ancellotti is making them tough to beat and more entertaining. Arteta has less to work with and showing improvement on Emery albeit still inconsistant.

What was wrong with the team before Jose? Has it addressed it, are the issues still present?

Jose has only made one signing and has had to deal with terrible injuries and a £65m albatross who can barely move.

Of course the issues are still present. We still lack quality in midfield, we still lack leadership in defence, we still lack aggression, etc. Steven Bergwijn alone is not going to magically transform a team that got humped 7-2 in their own stadium earlier this season.

Why no journalist challenge José with questions about his footballing style is beyond me. What is he aiming for, how does he want the team to play? And how come after 6 months it still looks like the team has no coach at all. Players randomly running around without any direction solely relying on their own ability to improvise in every situation. Weak mentality my ass, weak coaching without vision, goals and plan. Kick him the fuck out and bring in someone with a vision

Jose has only made one signing and has had to deal with terrible injuries and a £65m albatross who can barely move.

Of course the issues are still present. We still lack quality in midfield, we still lack leadership in defence, we still lack aggression, etc. Steven Bergwijn alone is not going to magically transform a team that got humped 7-2 in their own stadium earlier this season.
So you're saying he's done nothing to address the problems in 29 games. The only solutions to fix the problems are to buy players?

He was just worn out, that he coped with Levy for over 5 years is a minor miracle. Was Poch worse than Silva at Everton, did he leave a worse squad?..and yet Ancellotti is making them tough to beat and more entertaining. Arteta has less to work with and showing improvement on Emery albeit still inconsistant.

Wording it differently he left the squad in a worse state not a worse squad as player for player they compared well against most

Why no journalist challenge José with questions about his footballing style is beyond me. What is he aiming for, how does he want the team to play? And how come after 6 months it still looks like the team has no coach at all. Players randomly running around without any direction solely relying on their on ability to improvise in every situation. Weak mentality my ass, weak coaching without vision, goals and plan. Kick him the fuck out and bring in someone with a vision

Aha, so when we had Sheffield pinned to their box, we moved ball from one side to another and fired in crosses it is "Players randomly running around without any direction solely relying on their on ability to improvise in every situation. "
Yet when we saw it time and time again under Poch (even in better times! when we had Eriksen with us) then it was "progressive and attractive football"?

FFS, it is getting ridiculous in here at times.

So you're saying he's done nothing to address the problems in 29 games. The only solutions to fix the problems are to buy players?

The easiest solution to having bad players is to buy better ones, yes.

Only an idiot would say Jose has done nothing to address the problems. Straight away he threw Rose and Eriksen in the bin along with the 442 diamond. We stabilised a bit and massively reduced the distance to 4th. Then the injuries hit. Then he had to select from 13 players every 3 days and we ran out of legs. Just because things are not working perfectly does not mean he is not trying to address the problems.

There is no magic coaching formula to fixing a team that has players as bad as Serge Aurier in the starting XI and no alternative due to the bad transfer decisions of Levy and Poch.

Aha, so when we had Sheffield pinned to their box, we moved ball from one side to another and fired in crosses it is "Players randomly running around without any direction solely relying on their on ability to improvise in every situation. "
Yet when we saw it time and time again under Poch (even in better times! when we had Eriksen with us) then it was "progressive and attractive football"?

Yes we were firing in loads of shite crosses especially from Aurier
How many times did he not clear the first man when he had time and space?

They probably have some memories of how Pochettino wanted them to play. Since you seem to grasp how Mourinho wants to play, please explain it. Because I see nothing. Maybe a small hint of zonal defence that's all.

Yes we were firing in loads of shite crossed especially from Aurier
How many times did he not clear the first man when he had time and space?

Very many.
Too many.

But again - my point was that we had the very same issue before as well.
If you ask what has caused it - 3 main things.

1) We haven't had technically briliant player to find good throughballs in the team during this season (Eriksen in 1st half of the season was half-assing, let's face it).
2) We have no acceptable DMs who would be able to support the defense so that we could risk opposite team to have more ball and in turn attack quicker.
3) At the same time with point 2 we have no player who could break the lines with passes / dribbles efficiently enough either.

No issues in team performance are isolated.
I am honestly sad, that we have no strong CDM and that Ndombele is out of form. But it is hard to write such issues as fault of manager who only had 1 short transfer window to work with.

A lot of fans are underestimating the task at hand for Jose.
In the past we had two nimble players who could not only recycle the ball, but protect the defence in wanyama and dembele, but especially dembele, who was a leader amongst our squad, the driving force, a player who set the standard.

Today we have no one who can do the same, coupled with a shocking defence.
In the past you could play dembele or wanyama with eriksen in a two and still be strong in the middle of the park.

Sissoko is neither a matic type or van bommel type of midfielder to smell the danger, or a kante and winks, similar, although a tidy player, who i think with a stong enforcer, might just be okay a squad player.

Jose, has already dropped Ali on a few occassions from the restart, as he's probably aware, that without a erikssen type of player, his contribution to the team is next to nought, and this dilemma, "no erikssen" has also affected the contribution that our other attackers are contributing.

The fact we are out of the top four running is good, as now is when the real work begins, and until the transfer window i hope to see winks and skipp as as a two with le celso in front, and wide forwards in son and stevie wonder, with Ndombele replacing winks aroud the hour mark.

This summer with any luck we lose the services of Aurier,Sissoko,Sanchez,Dele and Moura [jose did mention at the onset of taking the job, that Sissoko is not, one of his prefered players in a midfield two].

Someone mentioned in another thread about Woolwich and everton as comparision, everton, have better squad depth and balance thru out their squad and Woolwich's, real archilles heal is their defence, the attacking unit is fine, their midfield is ok not spectacular, but better balanced, they have two ball winners in gendouzi and terriera and a play maker in xhaka, if xhaka was a bit more athletic, they would be peach in midfield.

Our team biggest problem is a lack of thinkers,good decision makers, players who can concerntrate for a least thirty minutes at a time, and do not have a ricket in them everytime they play.

Only the current llloris,kane and le celso, you know what you will get from them.

They probably have some memories of how Pochettino wanted them to play. Since you seem to grasp how Mourinho wants to play, please explain it. Because I see nothing. Maybe a small hint of zonal defence that's all.

So what you are saying is that Poch had no plan either how to attack. Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

Answer is - no I don't know specifically how Mou wants us to play. Neither I knew it with Poch in last 12-18 months of his tenure as well.

Team was and is out of balance as there is no destroyer in midfielder and no actual creative spark ever since Eriksen lost his desire. I believe it is freakin hard to make such set of players to play good football. But some make it seem as this bunch ever has played it. They haven't and I have no idea which manager would make them play well.

If team is in shambles, it takes time to rebuild it. Ppl were laughing at Klopp after 1,5 seasons as well. His track record then was almost identical with Rodgers first 1,5 seasons. Well no one is laughing now.

Only an idiot would say Jose has done nothing to address the problems. Straight away he threw Rose and Eriksen in the bin along with the 442 diamond. We stabilised a bit and massively reduced the distance to 4th. Then the injuries hit. Then he had to select from 13 players every 3 days and we ran out of legs. Just because things are not working perfectly does not mean he is not trying to address the problems.

There is no magic coaching formula to fixing a team that has players as bad as Serge Aurier in the starting XI and no alternative due to the bad transfer decisions of Levy and Poch.
If you think Aurier is the issue why does he pick him every game! (Toby, Sanchez, Sissoko can all play there, we also had KWP). We can play 3ATB (we do this anyway when in possession) so why play him even push on.

We haven't reduced the distance, we are further away from it than when Poch was here. When Poch was fired we were 3 points off 5th.

He actually wanted to keep Eriksen, I'm glad he binned off Rose but that doesn't take a genius to solve that.

That diamond produced more efforts on the oppo goal than we are seeing now.

It's not about if he's "trying" to address the issues or not it's whether if he has or not. And he absolutely hasn't and he has a fully fit squad to chose from. He could use this as deflection last night so he went with something else.

I’d have to disagree slightly. You are right that there is no magic coaching formula to fix this defence but if you look at Klopp in his first few seasons at Liverpool they were just as poor defensively as us (perhaps worse) so he concentrated on making them a force going forward.

We have some great attacking players, play them all in their best positions, play midfielders that can pass a ball for fuck sakes and give us a chance to atleast out score the opponent. That’s how Klopp scraped 4th in the season before they bought van dyke.

However Jose has never been able to coach attacking football, he has always relied on defensive organisation to get him to the top. We have the wrong manager for this current squad in my opinion.

We will not invest what is needed in the back line or defensive midfield positions this summer (Højbjerg will not stop this rot). It’s best we cut our losses now and atleast get some attacking cohesion going with a more progressive manager. His team selections have been poor and attacking tactics non existent.

I have never understood this lopsided one attacking fullback system he wants to play. It leaves a massive gap on one side between Davies and Son and means our creative outlet is Aurier. If he is so insistant on perservering with this system would it not be better to use Sessegnon as the outlet on the left? This seems to be the one tactic he has bought in and quite frankly its utter bollocks.

Very many.
Too many.

But again - my point was that we had the very same issue before as well.
If you ask what has caused it - 3 main things.

1) We haven't had technically briliant player to find good throughballs in the team during this season (Eriksen in 1st half of the season was half-assing, let's face it).
2) We have no acceptable DMs who would be able to support the defense so that we could risk opposite team to have more ball and in turn attack quicker.
3) At the same time with point 2 we have no player who could break the lines with passes / dribbles efficiently enough either.

No issues in team performance are isolated.
I am honestly sad, that we have no strong CDM and that Ndombele is out of form. But it is hard to write such issues as fault of manager who only had 1 short transfer window to work with.

Apart from Harry and Hugo I don’t think anyone played anything like even average last night
Including the subs who offered nothing when they came on
Alli was anonymous and Coco was running around like a headless chicken
Why José brought Jan on I don’t know

We should reflect on how every single Spurs player who played with Dembele talks about him like some godly figure. When he was on the pitch they believed that his qualities could help them beat anyone, they saw him as unbeatable. The way Trippier was talking in that recent interview he really believed with all his heart that even a half-done Dembele would have won us the CL final.

The player currently playing in his position is Moussa Sissoko. That sums up our problems. We put all our money and trust in Ndombele and he can't get a game ahead of a carthorse. We are still waiting for our Dembele replacement to arrive, Ndombele seizing his chance was the key to the season and as it hasn't happened, is it really a surprise that things have ended up like this. We didn't spend £65m on him expecting him to play 20 minutes every 3 matches.

Mourinho says the players have a "weak mentality"

The same Mourinho who moaned "we can't compete in three competitions" before presiding over a no-show against Leipzig, a weak draw against Burnley and an FA Cup exit?

Back
Top Bottom