Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting :

Reason 4 - most fans only think we're boring under Mourinho because the media says he's boring and are thus unable of forming their own decisions.
For the same reason the media said we played great football under Pochettino and ignored how terrible it was for a season and a half, the fans never back down on how good it was.
The football was often poor at the start of his reign and it was dreadful at the end.
Maybe, just maybe, the good football was borne out of having young, hungry players in Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Rose, Walker with the brilliant combo Dembele and Wanyama
Once Rose and Walker left/declined, Dembele and Wanyama left, Dele and Kane got injured frequently and Eriksen left, we looked awful and he had no idea what to do about it. It's entirely possible, that squad, at that time was as good as it ever would have been whilst Poch was around.

Reason 4 - most fans only think we're boring under Mourinho because the media says he's boring and are thus unable of forming their own decisions.

No, most of the time it was pretty terrible. They were terribly boring to watch at times.

For the same reason the media said we played great football under Pochettino and ignored how terrible it was for a season and a half, the fans never back down on how good it was.

This isn't even close to being true. We were objectively terrible, the only thing that was up for debate at all was whose fault it was.

There's *some* truth to this.

Still, there were and will continue to be a lot of games under Jose where we'll be content to concede the ball to lesser opponents and launch route 1 smash and grab counterattacks upon regaining possession.

You can win games and make opponents look foolish doing that. But if you're having an off, listless game it can be pretty pathetic.

But then, as late Poch or even more so late Wenger demonstrates, it's not exactly thrilling entertainment to see a team listlessly having 80% possession pinging harmless passes around the midfield either.

There's *some* truth to this.

Still, there were and will continue to be a lot of games under Jose where we'll be content to concede the ball to lesser opponents and launch route 1 smash and grab counterattacks upon regaining possession.

You can win games and make opponents look foolish doing that. But if you're having an off, listless game it can be pretty pathetic.

But then, as late Poch or even more so late Wenger demonstrates, it's not exactly thrilling entertainment to see a team listlessly having 80% possession pinging harmless passes around the midfield either.
Our 0-1 loss at home to Newcastle last season set the record for the most amount of posession without a shot on target.

Anyone that thinks that is more entertaining than sitting back, never looking like conceding, launching quick counters and scoring 3 goals is being told what to think.
That Newcastle game (and a lot of others for that matter) was among the worst football I've watched from a Spurs team. It was as bad, in a different way, to the shit Pulis used to play.

Anyone that thinks that is more entertaining than sitting back, never looking like conceding, launching quick counters and scoring 3 goals is being told what to think.

Winning is better to watch than losing, that's rather obvious.

Some of this is the game having changed. You'd get your ass kicked in the PL now playing with the devil-may-care effervescence of 'Arry's teams, for instance. The chemistry and interplay between dual strikers of Jol's teams is gone as well.

Poch's tactics were given the Bill Nicholson Legacy seal of approval because they were so successful, but it was really more about aggression than free-flowing football.

I agree with those who say that Jose's tactics are not in keeping with the traditions of the club. But the three years he'll be here don't define the club any more than George Graham's tenure did. Just go out and win and the options get better from there.

If that Leicester game were the norm that would be awesome but that was a one off.

Most of the games were boring slogs where we looked likely to concede and as though we wouldn’t score if the game lasted 90 days instead of 90 minutes.

If we could actually play the style Jose fans say we play that would be awesome but with a back line of Dier-Davies and who knows at RB with PEH as the guy in front of them there is no chance we are going to be looking like we are never going to concede and it will always be white knuckling it hoping to hold on to that 0-0 draw if Lloris can make 2-3 world class saves.

If that Leicester game were the norm that would be awesome but that was a one off.

Most of the games were boring slogs where we looked likely to concede and as though we wouldn’t score if the game lasted 90 days instead of 90 minutes.

If we could actually play the style Jose fans say we play that would be awesome but with a back line of Dier-Davies and who knows at RB with PEH as the guy in front of them there is no chance we are going to be looking like we are never going to concede and it will always be white knuckling it hoping to hold on to that 0-0 draw if Lloris can make 2-3 world class saves.

West Ham 2 - Spurs 3
Spurs 5 - Burnley 0
Spurs 3 - Bournemouth 2
Newcastle 1 Spurs 3
Spurs 2 - Man City 0
Spurs 4 Olymiakos 2
Spurs 2 Arse 1

None of those games were boring

And when you look closer at the ones that were, how many proper first team players were missing from them and we were making do with what we had?

Your positive attitude is an inspiration to me are you a motivational speaker by any chance?

Undoubtedly some of the performances were poor. However I do not recall thinking Mourinho's Chelsea were boring and that gives me confidence that things will improve on the playing front. As the article points out Mourinho will benefit from starting the season afresh. Having a DM will help and if he can resolve the lack of a back up striker and RB then I expect to see improvements.

I am actually looking forward to the new season.
I saw a few glimmers that things can get better.
A couple of signings will help,obviously,but still looking forward to it.

Yep. Compared to how I was feeling pre-lockdown I'm looking forward it it a lot more. I still expect the games to be ruined by VAR but without being in the stadium and it happening it isn't as bad.

He won the FA Cup and the Ropey league and got them to 2nd in the table but our fans say he was a failure.
He got sacked in his 3rd season because that's what he does. Every team he's managed it short term and i'm fine with that. That is modern football.

I followed Manchester United and Mourinho fairly closely during those few years because my 9 year old son is a big fan of Zlatan and Manchester United. There was a sense that Mourinho felt lied to by Woodward as to what the project was going to be and how he was going to be supported. Mourinho threw the 3rd season to make a point and to get sacked. He was trying to change the mentality in the dressing room in the middle of the 2nd season and Woodward supported player power instead of Mourinho and refused to back him in the market that following summer. Mourinho expected to be backed to build on what they have been able to achieve and ultimately wasn’t. So, he threw the 3rd season so that he could get sacked to move on.

I followed Manchester United and Mourinho fairly closely during those few years because my 9 year old son is a big fan of Zlatan and Manchester United. There was a sense that Mourinho felt lied to by Woodward as to what the project was going to be and how he was going to be supported. Mourinho threw the 3rd season to make a point and to get sacked. He was trying to change the mentality in the dressing room in the middle of the 2nd season and Woodward supported player power instead of Mourinho and refused to back him in the market that following summer. Mourinho expected to be backed to build on what they have been able to achieve and ultimately wasn’t. So, he threw the 3rd season so that he could get sacked to move on.
Exactly what will happen at Spurs and likely exactly what happened with Pochettino last season. Didn't get what he was promised, downed tools to get sacked.
That last part is what bugs me - not that the managers do it, with the compensation why on earth wouldn't they? It's that fans say the clubs should keep them on and give them a chance to turn it around. Utterly the wrong mentality. The manager wants to be sacked, the longer you keep them the worse it gets. They become a cancer that would kill the club.

He won the FA Cup and the Ropey league and got them to 2nd in the table but our fans say he was a failure.
He got sacked in his 3rd season because that's what he does. Every team he's managed it short term and i'm fine with that. That is modern football.
Be interesting to see if he counts 19/20 as a season or whether year one starts now as he gets to build his team.

Exactly what will happen at Spurs and likely exactly what happened with Pochettino last season. Didn't get what he was promised, downed tools to get sacked.
That last part is what bugs me - not that the managers do it, with the compensation why on earth wouldn't they? It's that fans say the clubs should keep them on and give them a chance to turn it around. Utterly the wrong mentality. The manager wants to be sacked, the longer you keep them the worse it gets. They become a cancer that would kill the club.

I think it really depends on what project he was pitched to sign on to. We have all heard Mourinho coming out and saying he doesn’t expect us to sign big money players. So, i’m optimistic that Levy and Mourinho are on the same page as to what they’re building together and how they are building it.

Back
Top Bottom