Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was all for the appointment.
I wasn't ever in any belief he was an ultra negative boring coach. That's BS.
I was and always will believe he is a fire that burns bright but burns out quickly.
And we needed some short termism.
That’s where I disagree. I believe he went to United to find that long term job. He said so himself when he rocked up there. Fortunately, United are finished as a football force (commercially still a beast) and so that was that.

Couldn’t believe his luck when Poch didn’t or couldn’t hack it as he’s taken to the job with top class enthusiasm.

He will be here for a while lads, because all the ingredients he lacked at United are here: a chairman that has respect for Jose’s football nous and will oblige him with what he needs to make the team successful (see Jose + Moratta at Inter), has a team of lads who are mostly professionals but a bit green when it comes to winning, a world class stadium and facilities (wasn’t available at United believe it or not), and passionate and loud support (when we aren’t negative and depressed!)

All in all, good ingredients for a long and fruitful relationship at best. At worst he’s building a world class group that whoever takes over benefits. What’s not to like?

That’s where I disagree. I believe he went to United to find that long term job. He said so himself when he rocked up there. Fortunately, United are finished as a football force (commercially still a beast) and so that was that.

Couldn’t believe his luck when Poch didn’t or couldn’t hack it as he’s taken to the job with top class enthusiasm.

He will be here for a while lads, because all the ingredients he lacked at United are here: a chairman that has respect for Jose’s football nous and will oblige him with what he needs to make the team successful (see Jose + Moratta at Inter), has a team of lads who are mostly professionals but a bit green when it comes to winning, a world class stadium and facilities (wasn’t available at United believe it or not), and passionate and loud support (when we aren’t negative and depressed!)

All in all, good ingredients for a long and fruitful relationship at best. At worst he’s building a world class group that whoever takes over benefits. What’s not to like?
And he and his family loves london, that's important. at United he didn't even rent a house there, I don't think it's a problem whether he wanted to be here for short term as long as he deliver trophies

Let's get on the same page here, as I think we're close.
I didn't say anything about his intentions. I don't know what he wants when he takes a job. He may have taken every single one with the intention of it being a "forever job"
But in every case, every job maybe other than Porto, it has ended badly. Falling out with players, chairman, super sexy hot physio's, it always ends up in tears. He's a brutal character who will rub people up the wrong way eventually. If he were to fall foul of Levy he'd be out. If he were to fall foul of Kane and/or Son and say he wanted them gone, would Levy back him? Nope. It's easier to replace coaches than once in a generation talent. That's the world we live in.

I'll call this one and hang my hat on it - there will never be another Fergie/Wenger type. Anywhere in top level football.

A big factor in Jose most likely lasting longer with us than United/doing better is also that he has seemed way more motivated than he seemed to be at United. When he started with the Mancs he already looked burned out whilst here he seems far more serene. Maybe it is being based in London, having less expectations on himself or just an urge to prove himself but he seems far more motivated to make this work.

Let's be honest, I'd take her side.

Eva-Carneiro.jpg

I think what is helping Mourinho here is the different character of our dressing room. It doesn't have any seasoned winners at club level, there is nobody who has a monstrous ego or who has the clout to argue with the manager. Players like Hazard, Pogba and Casillas fell out with Mourinho but they had the ego that comes with winning big trophies. It's the same with Levy. He is a little bit in awe of him and wouldn't dare undermine him purposefully.

If anyone in our dressing room even thinks about piping up then Mourinho will just ask them how many trophies they won. Our players have hunger which is different to the bigheads he's fallen out with in the past. That's not to say he will be here for a long time but the conditions that caused his previous meltdowns do not exist here.

I think what is helping Mourinho here is the different character of our dressing room. It doesn't have any seasoned winners at club level, there is nobody who has a monstrous ego or who has the clout to argue with the manager. Players like Hazard, Pogba and Casillas fell out with Mourinho but they had the ego that comes with winning big trophies. It's the same with Levy. He is a little bit in awe of him and wouldn't dare undermine him purposefully.

If anyone in our dressing room even thinks about piping up then Mourinho will just ask them how many trophies they won. Our players have hunger which is different to the bigheads he's fallen out with in the past. That's not to say he will be here for a long time but the conditions that caused his previous meltdowns do not exist here.

5d35f392a9f52.jpg

I have a new found respect for the man, mostly due to the Amazon documentary.

You can see he's trying his best to get a reaction from the players, which until recently hadn't really worked, but they seem to be taking the bait now and are showing some belief.

I can see how his methods would rub the big ego players up the wrong way, but it seems to be working with our squad now (Dele excepted)

I don’t know if Jose will be here a long time but for me it’s looking more and more like he is exactly the right manager at the right time for us.

I couldn’t agree more. It’s why I was amused at the resistance to his appointment from a lot of the fans. I guess they just believed what the media told them about him and didn’t think of the reasons why he acted like he did. I’m not saying he hasn’t self sabotaged himself sometimes but he just felt like the right appointment at the time. I didn’t feel anyone else was right and available who could replace Poch.

This is only the start though. It will still take time.

Back
Top Bottom