Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are undoubtedly the biggest challenge of his career. There is a weak/ soft centre woven into the fabric of the club.
I agree and unless he can resolve that achilles heel which exists at Spurs then his stay will not be a long one I fear. A result like today should be met inside the club with horror, anger and then a long hard look at how it happened. Not simply treated with a shrug of the shoulders, and an "oh well shit happens" attitude.

Jose will be seething inside but that anger needs to be directed positively to the squad. That's why I liked his post match comment about speaking with them tomorrow and not straight after the match. Let everybody go home and reflect on the game and could / should they have played better.

Then on Monday the match can be analysed constructively and hopefully solutions found.

Last edited:
I can hardly believe Jose made that attacking and 100% wrong last sub.
I remember him scuttling around to make a defensive sub in the last minutes of games.

I can hardly believe Jose made that attacking and 100% wrong last sub.
I remember him scuttling around to make a defensive sub in the last minutes of games.
I don' t think Moura for Son is an attacking sub. The other way round would be.
He brought Moura on to try and defend the left side better for the last 10 minutes. It didn't really come off.
Worse for me is him going with the 3 of PEH/Winks/Sissoko in midfield. That 3 should never play together at once again.

I agree and unless he can resolve that achilles heel which exists at Spurs then his stay will not be a long one I fear. A result like today should be met inside the club with horror, anger and then a long hard look at how it happened. Not simply treated with a shrug of the shoulders, and an "oh well shit happens" attitude.

Jose will be seething inside but that anger needs to be directed positively to the squad. That's why I liked his post match comment about speaking with them tomorrow and not straight after the match. Let everybody go home and reflect on the game and could / should they have played better.

Then on Sunday the match can be analysed constructively and hopefully solutions found.

The match thread has plenty of "oh well shit happens" attitudes , it always does when the shit happens regularly at this club.

And some wonder where the loser attitude comes from.

Hope he murders one or two of them in the changing room after that capitulation
Only one or two?
I don' t think Moura for Son is an attacking sub. The other way round would be.
He brought Moura on to try and defend the left side better for the last 10 minutes. It didn't really come off.
Worse for me is him going with the 3 of PEH/Winks/Sissoko in midfield. That 3 should never play together at once again.
If he brings on Davies or Doherty we win the game.
I just can't believe Jose brought on attacking player.

The more I think about it, the more pissed off I get.

What gets to me most of all is the fear wasting a golden opportunity. We have a fantastic group of attacking players but from what we've seen so far this season, our tactics and defensive issues are going to waste the talent that we have at the club. We've waited long enough for silverware, we cannot throw away another opportunity.

We need to stop playing so fucking passively. Kane, Son, Bale, Lo Celso, Ndombele etc. Playing against that lot should be fucking nightmare fuel for any defence - go all out, attack the living shit out of the opposition, let them deal with us. Why the fuck are we sitting back and allowing dogshit fucking teams like West Ham attack us in our defensive third for sustained periods?! We didn't need to, we could have bossed their midfield, we could have dominated their final third.

We are not a strong defensive unit because our centre backs are all liabilities. Alderweireld is past his prime, Dier is prone to fuck ups and Sanchez is, well, Sanchez. Why are we setting up to put pressure on our biggest weaknesses. The less they have to do, the better. Sitting back for ages, absorbing pressure and giving them dozens of attacks to deal with will inevitably result in goals conceded which is what we've seen too many times already this season.

What gets to me most of all is the fear wasting a golden opportunity. We have a fantastic group of attacking players but from what we've seen so far this season, our tactics and defensive issues are going to waste the talent that we have at the club. We've waited long enough for silverware, we cannot throw away another opportunity.

We need to stop playing so fucking passively. Kane, Son, Bale, Lo Celso, Ndombele etc. Playing against that lot should be fucking nightmare fuel for any defence - go all out, attack the living shit out of the opposition, let them deal with us. Why the fuck are we sitting back and allowing dogshit fucking teams like West Ham attack us in our defensive third for sustained periods?! We didn't need to, we could have bossed their midfield, we could have dominated their final third.

We are not a strong defensive unit because our centre backs are all liabilities. Alderweireld is past his prime, Dier is prone to fuck ups and Sanchez is, well, Sanchez. Why are we setting up to put pressure on our biggest weaknesses. The less they have to do, the better. Sitting back for ages, absorbing pressure and giving them dozens of attacks to deal with will inevitably result in goals conceded which is what we've seen too many times already this season.
Agreed, our strengths are going forward. The more of that we do the better it will be.
Trying to defend a lead isn't going to work for us. We need to play the way we did in that first 30 minutes for 90 minutes.

Blowing a 3-0 in ten minutes can’t be pinned on tactics. It’s a pure mentality thing.

You could see that when we let in the first one, the players got tight and nervous. For me, that Sanchez OG is all on nerves, you don’t make a header like that without feeling a lot of pressure.

Obviously as we saw in the Amazon doc, Mourinho knows how far we have to go in terms of mentality and I’m sure he’ll be banging it home all week. I love that he talks and thinks like that, it’s what Spurs have always needed. There’s so much to football that isn’t about football.

There’s still work to do and I think it comes down to personnel change. Our problems were mostly down to the side Sanchez and Aurier were on. They just crumbled under pressure towards the end of the game. Lucas and Reguilon missed a cover job that led to the Sanchez own goal.

Agreed, our strengths are going forward. The more of that we do the better it will be.
Trying to defend a lead isn't going to work for us. We need to play the way we did in that first 30 minutes for 90 minutes.
Definitely. Play on the front foot ALL game. We'll concede for sure but will outscore teams. We can't sit back and absorb pressure and see out a game as defence is just too dodgy. Best form of defence is to attack for us. Clean sheets are gonna be a rarity

Passive football? We have scored 15 goals in 5 games.
We have a very poor group of central defenders(Rodon not seen enough of).
While our defenders continue to find the basics hard to do we will not win silverware.
There is no issue with our attacking play

I cannot see him changing anything . The whole club lacks a backbone.....its the parasites fault and nothing wi changd until the power is given to someone who really knows football which levy does not...business yes, but football no

Then on Sunday the match can be analysed constructively and hopefully solutions found.

*Monday

Sitting on leads doesn't work unless you have a top class defence. We don't have one.

Hopefully he figures that out.
It's 3 0 lead , what's more do you want ? The lads bottle it , can't blame much on jose though..he used to have team who scored 1 goal and it's game over for opposition, there are still lots to work before making us title challenger

Not sure what he said at half time but he got it all wrong in the second half.

Why on earth he allowed West Ham to come onto us in that second half is beyond me. Play on the counter at 3-0 up? Really!?
It's very easy to say that. But it's pretty logical to not press and force the game when you are in a position that teams end up winning from 99.9% of the time. This all just comes down to truly shit defending and no heart in the defence.

Pretty standard response to the lead IMO and although we were 3-0 inside the first quarter of the game, I didn't feel safe at all with that lead. We are far too open at the moment and saw that against Man U, but they were down to 10 men, so they couldn't exploit it as well. He has to figure out how to get more muscle in the middle of the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom