Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Clearest depiction of Mourinho being one of the best game state managers even to this day. Tottenham are in a losing position as % of total match time less than any other team in the league.

Challenge for Mourinho is to change how he manages matches where Spurs are a goal up with significant time left to play against the majority of opponents.

Deserves credit for this Kane Son partner in a way, I was just thinking remember under Poch there was a time that he couldn't get the best of both

Crazy to look at the current stats

Numbers for both are a direct result of us attacking with less bodies - we used to have a front 4, we now have Son & Kane - shows the level both are at though that they are pretty much covering the attacking output themselves.

Numbers for both are a direct result of us attacking with less bodies - we used to have a front 4, we now have Son & Kane - shows the level both are at though that they are pretty much covering the attacking output themselves.

We also have less capable attackers than under Pochettino. Back then we had Eriksen, Dele, and Kane at their apexes with the two best attacking fullbacks in the league supported by 4 CMs and CBs that were rock solid and allowed us to aggressively attack.

Only Son is a better player now than during Pochettino’s time here. Kane may be smarter and doing more impressive things tactically, but he’s clearly not the same physically and athletically as he was from 2014-2018.

Mourinho also doesn’t have the luxury of the best versions of Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, and Wanyama to reliably be able to hold down the fort while we threw players forward.

We’re getting there with Hojbjerg, Ndombele, and Dier at CB but our starting 11 is still much worse than it was from 2015-2018. Those teams didn’t have a single weak link in them. We didn’t have the depth we do now and we suffered badly when we lost starters, but our current 11 is much worse now than Pochettino’s best teams.

We have some wonderful players and have seen good development from our new players, but this is still a team that is about halfway through a rebuilding process.

Only Son is a better player now than during Pochettino’s time here. Kane may be smarter and doing more impressive things tactically, but he’s clearly not the same physically and athletically as he was from 2014-2018.
I don't know. Sometimes Harry has these pretty fast bursts that look zippier to my eyes than what he used to do. Not Sonny speed, of course. That he'll never achieve. He also seems physically better at holding. He's smarter at earning fouls. Amazing passing. This Kane is better in some ways. If we ever get another Eriksen (not THE Ericksen mind) Harry could still poach a hat trick no probs. This is Kane 2.0. Like 2nd gen Terminator.

Still shit at free kicks though!

I don't know. Sometimes Harry has these pretty fast bursts that look zippier to my eyes than what he used to do. Not Sonny speed, of course. That he'll never achieve. He also seems physically better at holding. He's smarter at earning fouls. Amazing passing. This Kane is better in some ways. If we ever get another Eriksen (not THE Ericksen mind) Harry could still poach a hat trick no probs. This is Kane 2.0. Like 2nd gen Terminator.

Still shit at free kicks though!

Don’t get me wrong, he’s still an incredible player and the ways that he has changed his game because of his decreased athleticism have made the team better. Just ask Son!

But when he was at his peak during those 30 goals seasons, the guy was fucking Terminator and Predator rolled into one. He ran for the full 90 minutes and despite never being a world beating athlete, put so much pressure on defenses with his work rate. He never stopped moving and pressing.

I don’t think he quite has that in his locker anymore, it was the game of a young man. The way he’s altered his game is so incredibly admirable and not something you’d see from most strikers who are so adept and single minded about scoring goals. We’re so lucky to have him and be able to watch him, likely the greatest player the club has ever had by the end of his tenure.

We also have less capable attackers than under Pochettino. Back then we had Eriksen, Dele, and Kane at their apexes with the two best attacking fullbacks in the league supported by 4 CMs and CBs that were rock solid and allowed us to aggressively attack.

Mourinho also doesn’t have the luxury of the best versions of Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, and Wanyama to reliably be able to hold down the fort while we threw players forward.

We’re getting there with Hojbjerg, Ndombele, and Dier at CB but our starting 11 is still much worse than it was from 2015-2018. Those teams didn’t have a single weak link in them. We didn’t have the depth we do now and we suffered badly when we lost starters, but our current 11 is much worse now than Pochettino’s best teams.

We have some wonderful players and have seen good development from our new players, but this is still a team that is about halfway through a rebuilding process.

I think that's a fair comment, although i would limit the peak years of that side to 15/16 and 16/17. The regression set in from there with the sale of Walker and the injuries in the middle of the pitch that blighted the seasons that followed.

My point was only really in response to the topic of Son & Kanes numbers coming on since those days and how they relate to the shift in attacking setup.

Last edited:
I think that's a fair comment, although i would limit the peak years of that side to 15/16 and 16/17. The regression set in from there with the sale of Walker and the injuries in the middle of the pitch that blighted the seasons that followed.

My point was only really in response to the topic of Son & Kanes numbers coming on since those days.

Yup, totally fair. Those were definitely the peak seasons. After we lost Walker, it was never quite the same. That’s when the decline started.

Clearest depiction of Mourinho being one of the best game state managers even to this day. Tottenham are in a losing position as % of total match time less than any other team in the league.

Challenge for Mourinho is to change how he manages matches where Spurs are a goal up with significant time left to play against the majority of opponents.

think about the points we have lost this season , most of it happened in +80 minutes in the game, with better concentration we would have turn L to D and D to W and would be up there leading the league comfortably

Back
Top Bottom